Paleo vs. running

Options
I've been paleo for a couple of days now,probably a week. I eat vegetables, fruits, meat and eggs I don't eat (almost) no bread,pasta,rice,potatoes,junk food. I think that I have lost a lot of weight just for couple of days (maybe 1-2 kg) I am probably 48 kg now (165 sm) but I feel dizzy sometimes and have cramps. So my question is will paleo affect bad my performance in running ?

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine runs ultra marathons and eats paleo with the addition of rice. She said it hasn't effected her performance. When I ate strict paleo, I became dizzy when I didn't get enough carbs. Try adding a couple of servings of fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why are you avoiding things like potatoes....potatoes are paleo friendly...and actually tubers would technically be more appropriate to an actual paleolithic diet.

I know a few endurance athletes that also do paleo...they aren't avoiding things like potatoes and aren't low carb...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why are you avoiding things like potatoes....potatoes are paleo friendly...and actually tubers would technically be more appropriate to an actual paleolithic diet.

I know a few endurance athletes that also do paleo...they aren't avoiding things like potatoes and aren't low carb...
    It sounds like you've significantly reduced your carbs, as cwolfman suggests. Was that your intent? Paleo doesn't have to be low carb.
    If you choose to stay low carb your body should adapt in a couple of weeks.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I second the motion on potatoes!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about paleo, but being underweight and practicing additional calorie restriction will make you dizzy and it will impact your ability to run. Have you figured out how many calories you need to eat per day to achieve a healthy weight?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What was your reasoning for starting to eat paleo? At 5'6" and 106 lbs you are underweight (BMI 17.0.) It sounds like you were underweight before you started the new way of eating. You need to eat more, no matter your chosen diet.
    Good lord. I missed that.

Wow. I'm 5'6" as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Same here. They eat lots of tubers and often rice too (although technically non paleo).

Also, I join in the question about whether/why you are trying to lose.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Since you are into running you may be interested in reading Matt Fitzgerald's book Diet Cults. Perhaps check out his book Racing Weight as well. Good information in both about diets and running.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are paleo friendly, and there are other good carbs that you can eat like sweet potatoes, taro, yuca, parsnips, turnips...there is no reason to be low carb unless you have to.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This app shows me that I eat enough carbs but I don't feel like it. You can check my diary . Should I change my macros or cal ?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

The word tuber brings me so much joy
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What was your reasoning for starting to eat paleo? At 5'6" and 106 lbs you are underweight (BMI 17.0.) It sounds like you were underweight before you started the new way of eating. You need to eat more, no matter your chosen diet.

this.

Plus the why paleo and plus the yes not enough carbs tend to make people not well.

Plus - eat the tubers :)
  • kate4061
    kate4061 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I consulted a nutritionist who took into account my goals. She reccomended diffrent total calories as well as slightly different macros than this app did. If you are going only by what this app generated and are not feeling well then maybe consult a nutritionist?
    I agree, it sounds like you need more carbs =)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kate4061 wrote: »
    I consulted a nutritionist who took into account my goals. She reccomended diffrent total calories as well as slightly different macros than this app did. If you are going only by what this app generated and are not feeling well then maybe consult a nutritionist?

You have a nutritionist who is ok at you losing weight when you only weigh 107lbs?! :huh: :noway:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kate4061 wrote: »

You have a nutritionist who is ok at you losing weight when you only weigh 107lbs?! :huh: :noway:

That isn't the OP. Similar name though.

OP, it could largely be a part that you are underweight that your body is trying to tell you something.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »
    This app shows me that I eat enough carbs but I don't feel like it. You can check my diary . Should I change my macros or cal ?

Increase your calories. Do you currently have your calories set to lose weight and/or are you eating your exercise calories? You need to be eating at least at maintenance, preferably above that so that you can get into a healthy weight. I would aim for maintenance plus 150-200 calories to start.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not needed for all performances.....there are tons of endurance athletes who use a cyclical ketosis diet and eat very limited carbs. A lot of people who go low carb do it wrong. They don't eat enough of the healthy fats and vegetables to sustain it. However, as with any nutritional plan it does not agree with all.

So your diet and your performance aren't necessarily linked. Based on the number provided (I'm too lazy to convert it myself), it sounds like the OP needs to re-evaluate their entire nutrition plan and goals.

• Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have my cal at 1500 but the problem is when I am below 50 kg I feel anemic . I don't have nutritionist or trainer.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How has your running been? Because if you are feeling sluggish, it's probably from inadequate calories and may be due to you being 10 lbs under weight.