Paleo vs. running

Options
2»

Replies

• Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How has your running been? Because if you are feeling sluggish, it's probably from inadequate calories and may be due to you being 10 lbs under weight.

Not very good :( Yesturday I went for 10k and it was 52:32
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, are you trying to gain? You might benefit from seeing a doctor and dietitian. What's the goal in doing paleo?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »
    How has your running been? Because if you are feeling sluggish, it's probably from inadequate calories and may be due to you being 10 lbs under weight.

how many calories are you eating per day?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

1500, apparently.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

1500, apparently.

net or gross?
  • Kati9408
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP, are you trying to gain? You might benefit from seeing a doctor and dietitian. What's the goal in doing paleo?

cleaning fat,but also increasing muscle mass but idk how to do this properly
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Sounds pretty reasonable. Again, you're underweight, and probably eating low carb, and probably not FUELING YOUR BODY. And yet, you ran a reasonable 10k.

If it were me, I'd focus on FUELING YOUR BODY and getting UP to a healthy weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have my cal at 1500 but the problem is when I am below 50 kg I feel anemic . I don't have nutritionist or trainer.

Is there a reason why you chose this particular diet? With more restrictions you have fewer options and it would be a bit harder to gain weight if that is what you are trying to do. Paleo is also relatively low carb too and may affect your running performance. Have you considered seeing your doctor for a referral to a dietitian? It looks like you are having problems fueling your activity level.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you want to increase muscle mass, you will want to eat in an energy surplus and follow a progressive overload lifting program. Getting back to a more reasonable weight would solve that. And yes, while you add muscle, you will add a little fat, but that can be fixed after. So increase calories, potentially decrease running and follow one of these (many women like StrongCurves and NROL4W): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Running isn't going to add muscle. In fact, with low calorie and only running, you would be lucky to maintain what you have.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't know what cleaning fat is, I'm afraid. (Maybe a typo?)

I think you need to eat a maintenance or above (probably above, since you are underweight). If you want to fuel your running and gain muscle, there are lots of ways to do that, but I'd eat enough protein, enough overall calories (1500 is going to be below your TDEE, probably, with the running, but figuring out TDEE might be a place to start, putting in a goal of gaining .5 per week), and then focus on adding in some strength training in a planned, progressive program (lots of good advice here for that).

That's more likely to give you the look you want without being at an overly low weight, and keep you strong and energetic for the running.

I have nothing against paleo, but I don't see it as helpful to your goals necessarily. Also, the most active paleo folks I know don't do it in a low carb way and break some of the rules (eat rice, for example) to the extent they think it helps performance.

I think seeing a dietitian could help with the energy issues and also help you figure out what will work for running and muscle gaining.
  • Kati9408
    Options
    Ok I will try to eat more food, log more accurately and increase mileage.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Where did you get increase mileage from in this thread? :huh: :noway:
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    athletes need to fuel their body if you want to perform. its simple. if you increase your calories to sufficiently fuel your body your not going to get fat (unless you increase by like 3k calories)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would lift before you increase mileage. Lifting forces your muscles to become stronger which will improve your times.
  • CanuckAlpha
    CanuckAlpha Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Why would you increase mileage at this point? You're struggling with your current distance. Eat more, see how your body reacts and take it from there. From the sounds of it, you are trying to run before you crawl ( pardon the pun ). Take things in strides and take the time to see how you feel before you change too many things at once.