How bad would someone's form need to be for you to say something?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    When I was overweight, I had people giving me unsolicited advice all the time. They felt comfortable with telling the "fat girl" how to do it. I put up with it back then, because I had low self esteem. I'm waiting for someone to do it now, so I can punch them in the nose. Hasn't happened yet. If you feel the need to give someone advice, don't. Mind your own business. You're truly not as awesome as you think you are.

dhMeAzK.gif
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a certified individual probably should not be saying anything. How do you know you're any more knowledgeable than they are

If really think its dangerous tell a staff member.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, I had people giving me unsolicited advice all the time. They felt comfortable with telling the "fat girl" how to do it. I put up with it back then, because I had low self esteem. I'm waiting for someone to do it now, so I can punch them in the nose. Hasn't happened yet. If you feel the need to give someone advice, don't. Mind your own business. You're truly not as awesome as you think you are.

Clearly you haven't met someone like me. (Not actually me, just an example of awesome)
    8thmys9no9p3.jpg

As for this thread, I might roll my eyes at someone using a bosuball. But that's about it.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Really?? You would "punch someone in the nose". Stop it - you would not. I'm glad your self-confidence has improved, but you may want to do some soul searching on whether the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Ok, Maybe not actually punch them...but boy I'd give them an ear full ;-)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Good input/insight from everyone. As I mentioned in my OP, I wasn't planning on saying anything, but I was wondering how other people felt.
    Oh, and a couple people mentioned saying something if he was at danger of hurting OTHERS. This is about the only instance where I would correct someone.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Good input/insight from everyone. As I mentioned in my OP, I wasn't planning on saying anything, but I was wondering how other people felt.
    Oh, and a couple people mentioned saying something if he was at danger of hurting OTHERS. This is about the only instance where I would correct someone.

And obviously my response was not directed at you, personally...it was a generalized "you".. because clearly you are awesome ;-) It's a good question, and one that people really do need to think about
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If the person is going to injury themselves I would say something to them if I was close enough. Otherwise I would tell a trainer I guess if they are there.
    For some an injury could be enough for that person to say "this isn't for me" and they give up.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

And obviously my response was not directed at you, personally...it was a generalized "you".. because clearly you are awesome ;-) It's a good question, and one that people really do need to think about

Hah - well OBVIOUSLY. Because I am as awesome as I think I am ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know how you all say to tell the gym staff

Are all your gym staff trained then, mine aren't ...a couple of them are trainers, but the the type of trainers who show people how to use the equipment, give them a standard workout routine and sometimes count reps

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL. I often wonder this. There was a lady yesterday that was doing something crazy on the leg press and I thought she was going to kill herself. i didn't say anything. I just videoed it. lol. Probably wrong of me, but it was funny.

That's pretty messed up.

those gym fail videos almost EVERYONE watches don't make themselves you know.

Granted I wouldn't do it- but I'm not going to sit here and side eye someone else for it.
  • JoRocka
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Even my trainer won't approach non clients in the gym

Even when really concerned about potential injury

I've had to convince him to try with one woman who squats very heavy but is going to blow a knee out because they just buckle inwards

When I was a certified trainer- it was actually harder and more uncomfortable to approach people.
    People assume you know very little- and or are trying to hook you as a client.

My personal theory about helping people?
    only if there is a reasonable "in"- meaning they've asked for help- or are clearly struggling with the information and I have a good reason to say something- and I'm willing to stand there and work with them for a minute- because honestly- some days I'm not.
    (I remember watching a dad/son team looking up pendlay rows for more information- I fortunately had a reason to talk to them at some point and was able to interject a LITTLE information for them to take back and continue to research)

But I never presume to walk up to someone and just give them information.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    LOL. I often wonder this. There was a lady yesterday that was doing something crazy on the leg press and I thought she was going to kill herself. i didn't say anything. I just videoed it. lol. Probably wrong of me, but it was funny.

That's pretty messed up.

those gym fail videos almost EVERYONE watches don't make themselves you know.

Granted I wouldn't do it- but I'm not going to sit here and side eye someone else for it.

bless-you_o_1098115.jpg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

the worst dilemma for me is the new-year/valentines syndrome where some dude has brought his girlfriend in to be taught how to do stuff that will make her so awesome the bros will all envy him, and he's doing it wrong. worst of the worst of that one is when he's subconsciously showing off how tall he is by leaving the squat bar so high she has to tip-toe to reach it when it's her turn.

i have all the solidarity for women who are brand new to weights and intimidated, so i do sometimes say something then. but very cautiously and very minimally. i really like the poster who said she'd approach if there was already 'contact' or interaction, and she'd give info for them to process, not just a small preachathon.

so i've done things like point out where the bumper plates are, so newgirl doesn't have to learn deadlifting with 25's on the bar. or the women's bar so she doesn't have to try to press 45 overhead on day 1. but it does have to be done carefully, and i really only do it if that receptive rapport is already there.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a licensed trainer and carry your own insurance plan you shouldn't say anything to anyone in a gym or anywhere for that matter in terms of how they're performing an exercise. All you need is for someone to hurt their neck or back on the squat rack, they turn around and blame you for the injury, they sue you for everything you got. End-o-story. Even if you're a certified trainer, if the person isn't your client... just look the other way!
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the mind your own business crew, especially those who can see what the person is doing could be dangerous

1.) I see people doing dangerous things all the time. I don't flag people down on the roads and tell them to put their seat belts on. If I see somebody smoking a cigarette, I don't walk up and tell them that it's dangerous for them to do that. I don't approach morbidly obese people and explain the many health hazards associated with their condition.

Why is the gym any different?

2.) Unless one is properly trained and educated as a trainer/therapist/etc., one has no business sticking their nose in what somebody else is doing in the gym. You (generically, not "you" specifically) may know just as little as the person you're trying to correct.

Sued0nim wrote: »
    ]Are all your gym staff trained then, mine aren't ...a couple of them are trainers, but the the type of trainers who show people how to use the equipment, give them a standard workout routine and sometimes count reps

Good point. In most of the big chain gyms, the staff have minimal training and will offer "bro" advice worse than what you'd get if you asked an experienced lifter in the gym instead. Most of the staff/trainers in my gym are certified as Zumba, group fitness, Yoga, etc. instructors if anything....so not exactly the people I'd go to for advice on my squat form. I've overheard a couple of them during training sessions with other people offering fitness/nutrition advice that sounded like it came straight out of a tabloid or the Dr. Oz show.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    I don't understand the mind your own business crew, especially those who can see what the person is doing could be dangerous

1.) I see people doing dangerous things all the time. I don't flag people down on the roads and tell them to put their seat belts on. If I see somebody smoking a cigarette, I don't walk up and tell them that it's dangerous for them to do that. I don't approach morbidly obese people and explain the many health hazards associated with their condition.

You are so right. I have seen news clips when they set up a lone child pretending to be distressed to see what the reaction of passers by are. Its now not surprising why so many people just walk on by.

I understand now, its the mind ya own business crew.

I am not a gym floor goer so wouldnt be able to correct anyone but if i see a young child crossing the road dangerously with their younger sibling I will correct them to mind themselves. I will help a child find his/her mum in the supermarket.
  • JoRocka
    Options

You are so right. I have seen news clips when they set up a lone child pretending to be distressed to see what the reaction of passers by are. Its now not surprising why so many people just walk on by.

I am not a gym floor goer so wouldnt be able to correct anyone but if i see a young child crossing the road dangerously with their younger sibling I will correct them to mind themselves. I will help a child find his/her mum in the supermarket.

because that's EXACTLY the same kind of scenario...

/rollseyes
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

because that's EXACTLY the same kind of scenario...

/rollseyes

keep rolling it until your eyes pop out if you like