Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Fast food isn't the problem. EATING fast food is the problem.

Don't agree at all.
    Eating too much of anything is the problem

Especially if the same meal is high in both carbs and fats since that combo better promotes fat storage and inflammation which can in turn promote heart disease, strokes, cancer, Alzheimer's, type 2 diabetes etc per some MD's.

eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-do-some-cultures-stay-lean-while-still-consuming-high-amounts-of-carbohydrates
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    crissy976 wrote: »

Why am I NOT surprised that Japan is the least obese? Oh, yea, because they have a healthy diet of fish, rice, and vegetables, mostly. There's a reason why the good ol' saying is, "You are what you eat."

There's also the massive social stigma in Japan with being overweight / obese along with generally homogeneous culture.

Fat shaming seems to work there to help keep waistlines in check.

Fat shaming is so acceptable in Japan that a BMI in the upper 20's could get your belly poked and jokes made about you. In fact, it's government mandated that citizens over 40 get their waists measured every year and if they go over the limit (33.5 inches for men, 35.4 for women) they'll be given "dietary guidance" and if that doesn't work after six months, they may be given "further re-education."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/11/how-japan-defines-fat/29830/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?_r=0

Why doesn't the US do this?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Don't agree at all.

Especially if the same meal is high in both carbs and fats since that combo better promotes fat storage and inflammation which can in turn promote heart disease, strokes, cancer, Alzheimer's, type 2 diabetes etc per some MD's.

eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-do-some-cultures-stay-lean-while-still-consuming-high-amounts-of-carbohydrates

I'm not sure what this reference has to do with the statement about fast food and obesity in the thread OP, or in the posts you quoted indicating that overconsumption of total calories is a concern, not the consumption specifically of fast food.

Additionally, the link you posted loses a significant amount of credibility when it references Lustig for more information, and that the doctor who wrote the "article" has a practice that specializes in longevity and healthspan. What does that even mean?
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Food companies do everything they can to get people to eat their food...and I don't doubt that some of it is unethical...however, it all comes down to personal choice. No one held a gun to your head and made you eat 3 Big Macs and 2 orders of fries. Unless they did. Then you can legitimately blame someone else. Otherwise, we're all personally responsible for what we put into our bodies.

I second that one! well said
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Don't make this about America please because obesity is a worldwide problem.

Just thought I'd go and do a little fact-checking on this, and stumbled across the attached from the UK Government. Honestly, I'm pretty staggered by what I'm seeing:

9lxlironluaf.png

Why am I NOT surprised that Japan is the least obese? Oh, yea, because they have a healthy diet of fish, rice, and vegetables, mostly. There's a reason why the good ol' saying is, "You are what you eat."

Yeah, Germany is defineteley getting worse and worse, lots of Young People & children are not in good shape
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

There's also the massive social stigma in Japan with being overweight / obese along with generally homogeneous culture.

Fat shaming is so acceptable in Japan that a BMI in the upper 20's could get your belly poked and jokes made about you. In fact, it's government mandated that citizens over 40 get their waists measured every year and if they go over the limit (33.5 inches for men, 35.4 for women) they'll be given "dietary guidance" and if that doesn't work after six months, they may be given "further re-education."

Why doesn't the US do this?

LOL, read the post about junk food being taxed. People are ballistic about adding $0.25 or so to a bottle of pop. What do you think would happen if everyone had to parade in and get their waist measured and get guidance and education if over a certain number.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

From the Times article it looks like they will only have the education program if over the waist size and have weight related health issues:

"Those exceeding government limits — 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women, which are identical to thresholds established in 2005 for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy guideline for identifying health risks — and having a weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three months they do not lose weight. If necessary, those people will be steered toward further re-education after six more months."
  • wlk4fun647
    wlk4fun647 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    People love to blame everyone but themselves for their obesity. *shrug*

I agree... too many calories in, not enough calories used. I have average size friends, who eat fast food a lot, and if I ate like they did, I would certainly put on weight. I just prefer home cooking.
    I gain weight when I eat too much of anything, and don't expend enough calories... whatever I'm doing, not necessarily exercising. I like to sit and knit, which doesn't burn many calories unfortunately.
  • AjRogers2
    AjRogers2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eating chemical laden food such as fast food is a recipe for disaster if done on a regular basis. That many calories with negligible nutritional value is not good regardless of calories.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    AjRogers2 wrote: »
    Eating chemical laden food such as fast food is a recipe for disaster if done on a regular basis. That many calories with negligible nutritional value is not good regardless of calories.

Are you a dietitian?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Don't agree at all.

So the French, Italians, and Japanese don't eat fat with carbs? Oh, right, they do (although granted the Japanese eat a pretty low fat diet overall, so maybe that doesn't count).

The funny thing about Attia's effort to explain away the fact that many cultures with higher carb diets that we have (including many blue zones) have better results for health and preventing obesity is that the real answer is apparent within his explanation -- they eat fewer calories. We eat too many calories. Attia can go on about how we supposedly eat Prego and fries and those are full of sugar (whatever, seems to me that fries are high cal because they are full of fat, and I'm a food snob so make my own pasta sauce even though I'm not Italian, something Attia seems to think is unheard of), but the essence of it comes down to Americans eat too much.

Of course we do. Too much fat, too many carbs, possibly even too much protein depending on who you ask. Too many calories.

If you personally ate lots of high fat and high carb "junk food" and reduced calories by going low carb and cutting out added sugar and grains (even if it required going nuts with the sat fat to do it), then that might well have been an improvement for you.

Doesn't mean carbs are the problem. As the Japanese diet demonstrates (as well as many others), one can eat lots of carbs in the context of a healthful, calorie-appropriate diet.

Not sure what this has to do with fast food, except, I suppose, that many people who go get fast food also tend to eat too many calories in their meals, especially those not logging or otherwise paying attention to calories.

Carbs, protein and fats do not cause disease is my take away so fast food is not a direct cause of disease. Dr. Attia point seems to be when one eat in any many that increases the level of inflammation in one's body that is what that can lead to a premature death.
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is no worse than most of the crap on grocery store shelves honestly.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I love the crap on grocery shelves. Have you tried the Sriracha mayo on hard boiled eggs. Yum Or Classico Spicy Tomato Sauce on Barilla spaghetti with Italian meatballs in the frozen section. Can't be beat. And Ranch dressing on romaine with grape tomatoes, red onion, Kalamata olives and jarred artichokes in oil. You are seriously missing out on the good stuff.

Plus....McGriddles!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I love the crap on grocery shelves. Have you tried the Sriracha mayo on hard boiled eggs. Yum Or Classico Spicy Tomato Sauce on Barilla spaghetti with Italian meatballs in the frozen section. Can't be beat. And Ranch dressing on romaine with grape tomatoes, red onion, Kalamata olives and jarred artichokes in oil. You are seriously missing out on the good stuff.

Plus....McGriddles!

I love fricken' McGriddles!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Plus....McGriddles!

I love fricken' McGriddles!

I've never felt so sad reading one of your posts as I do with this one. While I am capable of wolfing down some McDs, this is just sick and wrong. :sick: