Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    McDonald's is no worse than most of the crap on grocery store shelves honestly.

I love the crap on grocery shelves. Have you tried the Sriracha mayo on hard boiled eggs. Yum Or Classico Spicy Tomato Sauce on Barilla spaghetti with Italian meatballs in the frozen section. Can't be beat. And Ranch dressing on romaine with grape tomatoes, red onion, Kalamata olives and jarred artichokes in oil. You are seriously missing out on the good stuff.

Plus....McGriddles!

I love fricken' McGriddles!

I've never felt so sad reading one of your posts as I do with this one. While I am capable of wolfing down some McDs, this is just sick and wrong. :sick:

Yep, sick!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I love the crap on grocery shelves. Have you tried the Sriracha mayo on hard boiled eggs. Yum Or Classico Spicy Tomato Sauce on Barilla spaghetti with Italian meatballs in the frozen section. Can't be beat. And Ranch dressing on romaine with grape tomatoes, red onion, Kalamata olives and jarred artichokes in oil. You are seriously missing out on the good stuff.

Plus....McGriddles!

I've never felt so sad reading one of your posts as I do with this one. While I am capable of wolfing down some McDs, this is just sick and wrong. :sick:

DTM!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Plus....McGriddles!

DTM!

Deep Tissue Massage?!?!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Plus....McGriddles!

DTM!

Deep Tissue Massage?!?!

Down To McDs?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Dead to me! Lol
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Dead to me! Lol

:open_mouth::wink:
  • Guitarman1994
    Guitarman1994 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Any place you can go and intake your entire day of caloric intake in one meal is not good. And the sodium and cholesterol is at an extreme! Stay home and make something. It's called fast food for a reason! Stay healthy all!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Any place you can go and intake your entire day of caloric intake in one meal is not good. And the sodium and cholesterol is at an extreme! Stay home and make something. It's called fast food for a reason! Stay healthy all!!

I have to agree, those who saw the lawyer in "Super Size Me" should have cringed when he talked about neighborhood restaurants being around for so long so it couldn't be them that is causing the rise in obesity. Putting aside that he is just a hired mouthpiece for an interest group that statement was such *kitten it's hard to believe anyone with any sense could believe it. For one thing, people it out at sit down restaurants a lot more than they used to, and the fact that restaurant associations are fighting tooth and nail against putting their nutritional information on menus should tell you something. A typical sit down meal at a casual fine dinning place like Olive Garden can easily have 1500 to 2500 calories with 1/2 an appetizer, an entre, 1/2 a dessert and a drink or two.

Most people will actually eat more at a sit down restaurant than they will at a fast food restaurant.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You can make calorie dense choices at a fast food restaurant, a sit down restaurant, or cooking at home - at any one of those it's possible to consume >1000 cals in one sitting. But you can also make choices that enable you to eat a single meal that fits well within your day at any of those establishments as well. That's the beauty of having choices, and personal accountability...

Many appetizers have over 1000 calories and that's just to start the meal. There was an episode of a Canadian show on CBC that did nutritional lab testing of several casual dinning chains and they found most meals over 2000 calories, even many entrees had more than 2000 calories such as Boston Pizza's Pad Thai weighing in at something like 2600 calories alone!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

I can make food at home where my whole day is shot in one meal. Fast food has nothing to do with that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

You need a new grocery store then.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    For me its def. harder to reign in calories at a restaurant than at home.
    I'm surprized others find it so easy to do that.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    crissy976 wrote: »

Why am I NOT surprised that Japan is the least obese? Oh, yea, because they have a healthy diet of fish, rice, and vegetables, mostly. There's a reason why the good ol' saying is, "You are what you eat."

There's also the massive social stigma in Japan with being overweight / obese along with generally homogeneous culture.

Fat shaming seems to work there to help keep waistlines in check.

Fat shaming is so acceptable in Japan that a BMI in the upper 20's could get your belly poked and jokes made about you. In fact, it's government mandated that citizens over 40 get their waists measured every year and if they go over the limit (33.5 inches for men, 35.4 for women) they'll be given "dietary guidance" and if that doesn't work after six months, they may be given "further re-education."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/11/how-japan-defines-fat/29830/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?_r=0

Why doesn't the US do this?

Because trading an obesity epidemic for an eating disorder epidemic isn't exactly a good trade.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/17/many-suffer-but-no-one-talks-about-it-the-rise-of-eating-disorders-in-japan
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Depends on the restaurant, depends on the day, and how much I can fit in as well as how much time I've had to plan/budget cals accordingly.

I don't think anyone is saying it is easier to eat within a certain calorie allotment at a restaurant , just that it can be done, and that meals cooked at home can be just as calorie dense.

Last Saturday I had Wendy's for lunch. A grilled chicken sandwich and half an order of fries. About 600 cals. That night we had homemade manicotti, salad, garlic bread and wine for dinner. That was 1000 calories.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AjRogers2 wrote: »
    Eating chemical laden food such as fast food is a recipe for disaster if done on a regular basis. That many calories with negligible nutritional value is not good regardless of calories.

Are you a dietitian?

Gonna go out on a limb and guess "No." lol
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

Not necessarily easy, but if you want it bad enough you do it.