Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    PennWalker wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?

You are kidding - sugar is a killer

You'll find that the chemicals in diet coke are generally more harmful than sugar which comes from a natural plant.

Diet Coke tastes like somebody put gasoline in it.

But taste has nothing to do with whether or not something is harmful to the body - I to am waiting for an explanation of the 'harmful' nature of the chemicals in diet coke...

I would respectfully disagree that taste has nothing to do with whether something is harmful to the body. Taste, like pain, is a natural way our body sends a message that something is not right. People override both by cultural conditioning but the basic body message is there.

Somebody else can take on the chemicals research.

How are personal taste preferences at all an indicator of how harmful something is to the body? I think Diet Coke tastes delicious. So does that mean it's harmful to you but not to me?

My husband thinks shrimp are delicious but he is allergic and his throat closes up when he consumes them... wouldn't you think, by your logic, that he should have some early indicator that these could be problematic for him?

Brussel Sprouts must be poison to most kids.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

You'll find that the chemicals in diet coke are generally more harmful than sugar which comes from a natural plant.

*sigh*
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Gah chemistry rant:

In terms of hydrocarbons
    meth- (one carbon)
    eth- (two carbons)
    prop- (three carbons)

If its a simple hydrocarbon (single bonded carbons saturated with hydrogen then the suffix is just -ane.

So methane, ethane, propane.

If it has an OH on one end then its an alcohol so the suffix is -ol is used to replace the e

Methanol, ethanol, propanol

If not all the connections to carbons are to hydrogens then its called an unsaturated hydrocarbon which ends in -ylene

ethylene, methylene, propylene

If both ends have an -OH then technically it is a -diol so like ethane-1,2-diol where the numbers denote which carbons the -OH is on. That can get long though so it has been abbreviated into being a glycol with the suffix changes to -ylene and the word glycol is attached.

Methylene glycol, ethylene glycol, propylene glycol.

If you make a chain of them then it gets the prefix poly and sense you are connecting them together at least one of the bonds isn't to hydrogen so its a -ylene.

As an example, polypropylene...a chain of unstaturated propane molecules....basically what your athletic wear is most likely made out of. Or polyethylene...the most commonly used plastic.

You'd think that if you knew the properties of a given molecule that a chain of them or a small change to them would make something with similar properties but really things can change quite a lot.

Ethane (component of natural gas, used for heating), ethanol (alcohol used for drinking), ethylene glycol (antifreeze), polyethylene (plastic). Basically small modifications to the same molecule.

Okay, sorry for that.

Time for a C2H5OH.

(Sorry my phone doesn't do subscripts). ;)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

The UK doesn't have any morbidly obese people of their own they could've used?

not to the extreme levels of what you have.
    However we have an "Obesity crisis" (still incomparable to you) and the country is trying to do something about it which is commendable.

Over the last 10 years, the country started with tackling schools to ensure nutritious meals are provided to children and Jamie Oliver is to salute for this. He started the trend.

Just today it was announced on the radio that all of the food retail businesses have a responsibility to reduce salt/sugar by 20% over the next 5 years. Good or bad, I don't know but it's an attempt to move forward.

..and there might be more but I am not versed on everything.

Also, we DONT use Americans as an example to motivate ourselves. We do have a growing concern here and there are several programs on TV that bring awareness to that using brits as an example.

However big and successful documentaries from the states do get aired here for educational/awareness.
    There's certain things where the UK cannot compare itself to America and I will not deny it!

The ignorance and offensiveness of the bolded is just astounding.

Yes, our numbers are worse but they are in no way incomparable. America has an obesity problem just like most of the industrialized world but we're not a population made up exclusively of obese slobs like you continue to insinuate.

ETA: maybe you forgot this graphic from earlier in the thread
    9lxlironluaf.png

Just to break that down for you, overweight/obesity rates in the US vs UK are:
    Men - 70.9% to 66.6%
    Women - 61.9% to 57.2%

That's close enough that you'd not notice any difference between the two populations by living among them. You basically have to do a census in order to pick up on that small of a difference.

The most alarming thing about that chart is that only two countries strikingly stand out from the rest and it's the ones at the bottom, not at the top.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Diet Coke tastes like somebody put gasoline in it.

But taste has nothing to do with whether or not something is harmful to the body - I to am waiting for an explanation of the 'harmful' nature of the chemicals in diet coke...

I would respectfully disagree that taste has nothing to do with whether something is harmful to the body. Taste, like pain, is a natural way our body sends a message that something is not right. People override both by cultural conditioning but the basic body message is there.

While I agree that this is correct in a broad sense, taste makes only a gross distinction: It's sometimes an inaccurate guide.

For example, bitterness is claimed to be a key evolutionary taste guide to food safety, but double IPA is very healthy. Oops, I meant flax seed. And bitter melon. ;)
    Somebody else can take on the chemicals research.

OMG!! IPA, FTW!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm betting if they served an Egg Mcmuffin at breakfast (300 calories), a double cheeseburger for lunch (450 calories), and a quarter pounder for dinner (540 calories) in state prisons, they probably wouldn't weigh more than they do now.
    When food portion is controlled, weight stays steady regardless of source.

Prisons are an interesting point of discussion for this topic. The food served in prisons is "institutional food" (i.e. low-priced products bought in large quantities and prepared in bulk). Lots of highly processed foods, hardly what one would call "clean eating" by whatever standard. They're usually also allowed to purchase candy bars, potato chips, etc. from the prison commissary. Yet inmates rarely come out of prison in worse health and/or physical shape than they were when they went in. I've seen many cons who went into the joint in terrible physical condition (either obese, or skinnyfat from being strung out on drugs) and when you ran into them on the streets a year or two later after they'd come out of prison, they were yoked and lean as hell.

Of course there are some concomitant causative factors - they have plenty of time to exercise and are (mostly) not doing drugs and drinking alcohol while they're in prison - but the fact remains that many of them get into amazing shape/health despite a far less than optimal diet.
    Yep. Goes to show that eating "healthy" isn't always required to lose weight or get in better shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member

Killer of what? All animals eat some form of sugar. Apparently not getting killed off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    (not as good as Fox's crunch creams)
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited September 2016
    ouryve wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

However we have an "Obesity crisis" (still incomparable to you) and the country is trying to do something about it which is commendable.

Over the last 10 years, the country started with tackling schools to ensure nutritious meals are provided to children and Jamie Oliver is to salute for this. He started the trend.

Just today it was announced on the radio that all of the food retail businesses have a responsibility to reduce salt/sugar by 20% over the next 5 years. Good or bad, I don't know but it's an attempt to move forward.

Also, we DONT use Americans as an example to motivate ourselves. We do have a growing concern here and there are several programs on TV that bring awareness to that using brits as an example.

However big and successful documentaries from the states do get aired here for educational/awareness.
    There's certain things where the UK cannot compare itself to America and I will not deny it!

Yes, our numbers are worse but they are in no way incomparable. America has an obesity problem just like most of the industrialized world but we're not a population made up exclusively of obese slobs like you continue to insinuate.

9lxlironluaf.png

Men - 70.9% to 66.6%
    Women - 61.9% to 57.2%

That's close enough that you'd not notice any difference between the two populations by living among them. You basically have to do a census in order to pick up on that small of a difference.

The most alarming thing about that chart is that only two countries strikingly stand out from the rest and it's the ones at the bottom, not at the top.

Having lived there for a time, appetite suppression via nicotine comes to mind...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

9lxlironluaf.png

Men - 70.9% to 66.6%
    Women - 61.9% to 57.2%

Having lived there for a time, appetite suppression via nicotine comes to mind...

Yes! Smoke 'em cigareets!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member

9lxlironluaf.png

Men - 70.9% to 66.6%
    Women - 61.9% to 57.2%

Is interesting that we don't see much regression analysis of BMI and tobacco use.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

9lxlironluaf.png

Men - 70.9% to 66.6%
    Women - 61.9% to 57.2%

Is interesting that we don't see much regression analysis of BMI and tobacco use.

Good observation!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

9lxlironluaf.png

Men - 70.9% to 66.6%
    Women - 61.9% to 57.2%

Do they smoke a lot in Japan and Korea?
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member

Do they smoke a lot in Japan and Korea?

Picture 1960s in the US.