Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Fast food franchises like McDonalds etc sometimes get blamed for obesity ( especially in certain countries) . Is it really fair to blame them tho? I mean if its about CI<CO then you could eat a homemade salad which may contain more calories than a McChicken. Opinions?

The bigger issue is that people's idea of an appropriate portion is out of whack with reality...whether it's fast food, a sit down restaurant, or home cooking...people often eat 2-3x of what's really appropriate for them.

Yep, when I was a kid in the early '70's a typical burger, fries and drink was the size of a current kid's meal.
  • I got fat from overeating regular food as we dont eat a lot of fast food and never really did. I would eat it once a month or less,most often it was less. so I got fat on foods I ate at home. portions has a lot to do with it. when you read a package and think a portion is one size and then you weigh it and its not,makes you realize that things arent always what they seem.
  • Packerjohn wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Fast food franchises like McDonalds etc sometimes get blamed for obesity ( especially in certain countries) . Is it really fair to blame them tho? I mean if its about CI<CO then you could eat a homemade salad which may contain more calories than a McChicken. Opinions?

The bigger issue is that people's idea of an appropriate portion is out of whack with reality...whether it's fast food, a sit down restaurant, or home cooking...people often eat 2-3x of what's really appropriate for them.

Yep, when I was a kid in the early '70's a typical burger, fries and drink was the size of a current kid's meal.

funny when I was a kid (in the 70s and 80s) I remember the burgers being bigger than they are now but the drinks and french fries were a lot smaller.we didnt get supersize options until the mid to late 80s(at least where I grew up).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Obesity is caused by one thing. Consuming more calories than you burn.

What contributes to that is a vast and wide issue.

We are less active, food is more abundant, governments and Drs giving false and conflicting information, lack of education calorie wise and portion wise, I could go on and on.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member

I think that if you're the kind of person who's eating McDonalds every single day then yeah, it will most likely start to effect your weight in a negative way but that's not McDonalds fault, it's your fault for putting it in your mouth.

That being said, I know that a lot of people turn to fast food as a cheaper alternative because groceries can definitely be quite expensive. But even that isn't me saying that it's the economy's fault that people are so obese (although it can make buying better food a lot harder, but there's generally a way to work around that), I think that unless you have a medical issue that's causing you to gain/retain weight, then it's your fault that you're obese, nothing/nobody else's (unless you're a child and your parent is feeding you way too much because then you just wouldn't know any better).

I eat mc donalds almost everyday , but still manage to stay within my calorie range and am not gaining weight
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016

I think that if you're the kind of person who's eating McDonalds every single day then yeah, it will most likely start to effect your weight in a negative way but that's not McDonalds fault, it's your fault for putting it in your mouth.

That being said, I know that a lot of people turn to fast food as a cheaper alternative because groceries can definitely be quite expensive. But even that isn't me saying that it's the economy's fault that people are so obese (although it can make buying better food a lot harder, but there's generally a way to work around that), I think that unless you have a medical issue that's causing you to gain/retain weight, then it's your fault that you're obese, nothing/nobody else's (unless you're a child and your parent is feeding you way too much because then you just wouldn't know any better).

I eat mc donalds almost everyday , but still manage to stay within my calorie range and am not gaining weight

Thats great for you bur I believe in general those who frequent fast food places gain.

Sample article
    http://www.news-medical.net/health/Obesity-and-Fast-Food.aspx

Can people eat fast food on a regular basis and not gain, sure. Is not gaining under those circumstances likely, no
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited September 2016
    mdonsbach wrote: »

To your original question no Fast Food places aren't to blame. They aren't shoving the food down our mouths. People just make the choice to eat it. Free Will.

Big Food does tests on what is tasty, adding fat, salt, and sugar to products. Some food researchers believe that certain flavors are addictive. It's not all on the food places, but they are complicit or actively involved in influencing our opinions about food and our tastes. You may have read that the Sugar Industry influenced respected researchers starting in the 1960s to make fat the villain.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Verdenal wrote: »
    mdonsbach wrote: »

To your original question no Fast Food places aren't to blame. They aren't shoving the food down our mouths. People just make the choice to eat it. Free Will.

Big Food does tests on what is tasty, adding fat, salt, and sugar to products. Some food researchers believe that certain flavors are addictive. It's not all on the food places, but they are complicit or actively involved in influencing our opinions about food and our tastes. You may have read that the Sugar Industry influenced respected researchers starting in the 1960s to make fat the villain.

I add fat, salt, and sugar to my recipes too (well, not so much sugar, but plenty of fat and salt), because I want them to taste good. Nobody wants bland, dry food.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

I could eat a ten pound bag of sugar. But I've never done that. I prefer to form my opinions based on what's happening in the world, instead of on things that aren't.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Having a salad with too much dressing once won't make you obese. Maybe if you have two salads per day that are both more calories than a Big Mac, but the obese people I know eat more McDonalds and less salads.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,085 Member
    I got fat eating home made food made mainly from vegetables grown in our garden and meat from cows raised free range by my uncles and grandparents. We could not afford to go out, even to fast food places. It is not fast food, it is too many calories and personal choices to eat too much.

In terms of education, someone mentioned people know fries have a lot of calories, but I think you would be surprised how many don't realize how many, nor do they realize how many calories a day would be healthy.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    One time I had a chicken sandwich over doused with mayo and gained 5 lbs over night

The struggle is real folks

Not every item of FF is created equal as the last, and also the maker of your food might click mayo pump more than once

You don't take it back because there's too much mayo do you?

No you eat it,

As the mayo, tomato and meat juice dribbles over the side of your bun, falling onto the food wrapper you're holding it over

You get a fry and dip it into the mayo, tomato juice cocktail

You're in fat, salt and sugar Heaven

Caloric Hell
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Having a salad with too much dressing once won't make you obese. Maybe if you have two salads per day that are both more calories than a Big Mac, but the obese people I know eat more McDonalds and less salads.

My mom has struggled with her weight for years. I don't think she ever goes to McD's. She did eat daily salads with ranch in many of her weight-gaining periods. I don't think that's the main culprit in why she gained -- can't separate out one culprit -- but lots of people gained on homecooked food. I never ate high cal salads, but I did eat lots of non-obviously high-cal home cooked stuff, and no fast food (I don't like McD's et al.) while gaining.
  • No.. But you should watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It goes into great detail about obesity and fast food... It's all the chemicals they put into the food that makes me disgusted. At McDonalds in other countries such as in France they use chemicals but fewer than American McDonalds.. It's the chemicals in the food that make people addicted.. Personally I got sick the last time I ate at McDonalds.. Which is something that happens when you eat healthy and detox for a few months..

I'd say eat the homemade salad over the McChicken any day of the week. At least you know what's in your food.

At the end of the day it's all about choices.. If anyone is going to eat food at McDonalds, then order a small fry and burger but maybe drink water instead of soda..

I never once blamed Fast Food places for me becoming technically obese but I also don't let them off the hook either... If anything I blamed my Significant Other and people around me for taking me to eat at these places and watching me grow to a size that is unsafe and unattractive... I had to take a look in the mirror and realize that if I wanted to be healthy I had to do it on my own accord and when I was ready. Becoming ready to change though was a process that didn't happen overnight , it took months.