Runners! My first race is coming up in 6 weeks! Should I go for the 10k or half marathon?!

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Seems odd to me to choose your pond so that you can appear to be a bigger fish. On an absolute scale you are the same size fish regardless of who you compare yourself to. You've only been running for 2 months!

You can put your times into the calculator below and see how you compare on a local/regional/national/world class level.

http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm

That's an interesting calculator. I always thought that I had a more competitive advantage at longer distance races, but the calculator ranked me in a higher percentile with my 5K time than my marathon. Who knew?

My HM time was better than i thought it would be!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    I know there is a huge difference between 6.2 and 13 miles....
    No, you don't "know." You think you know, but there is a huge difference, a difference you have to experience to understand. When your left calf is cramped up at mile 10, and you still have a 5k left to run, it's an entirely different mental game.

Running my second full marathon this weekend, and that goes into an entirely new place. Something about miles 15-18 wants to mentally crush me.

she's an askhole.

asks- but isn't interested in the answers.

I'm pretty sure at this point she posted and ghosted because she actually DIDN"T want answers- she wanted someone to pat her on the back and say- "you go do it honey- you got this ish".

She was off to another venture. it has to do with macros.. I saw it yesterday..
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I think that blueeyez939 (OP) lost interest.

she'll show us when she wins the HM in 6 weeks!!!!

Hopefully a photo at the finish line!

I always take terrible photos at the finish line.. One day I am gonna be ready for the photo, I can look like a total geek crossing the line.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I always take terrible photos at the finish line.. One day I am gonna be ready for the photo, I can look like a total geek crossing the line.

I keep saying this, but it hasn't happened yet. I've got a 5k tomorrow, and I know darn well what the finish line photo is going to look like.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I keep saying this, but it hasn't happened yet. I've got a 5k tomorrow, and I know darn well what the finish line photo is going to look like.

Start preparing now for your pose and best smile..

Good luck on the 5K..
  • TavistockToad
    Options

She's going to be so far ahead of the people who've actually trained for it that she'll be able to do a finish line selfie!

I just have proper game face on...
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

She's going to be so far ahead of the people who've actually trained for it that she'll be able to do a finish line selfie!

I just have proper game face on...

Well you know you are right.. She will already be with medal around neck and at the after party..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Seems odd to me to choose your pond so that you can appear to be a bigger fish. On an absolute scale you are the same size fish regardless of who you compare yourself to. You've only been running for 2 months!

You can put your times into the calculator below and see how you compare on a local/regional/national/world class level.

I have to work on my time. I completed the last one at 2:27:14 and this was a PR.. and my age grade was for 2:14:26..

I have work on this this winter before March to beat my PR but I am another year older..sigh.. :)

Interesting comparison. For my age it has me about 10 minutes slow for HM, based on my last HM which was trail and a week before my last Ultra, so I didn't thrash it.

I'm fairly firmly in the middle of the pack, so quite happy with the forecasting, since it doesn't account for elevation or surface.

I think I can shave of 14 minutes to beat it this year.. today that sounds hard and training in winter is a challenge for me.. I am going with "I think I can, I think I can"..

I don't think I have a whole in me let alone an Ultra.WOW.. I like the word "thrash".. :)

It was a 12 hour event, 6.2km trail circuit. I managed 40 miles in 9:30 before I folded.

Good fun, and a very different experience. It's kind of an eating and drinking contest with some running thrown in.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

#storyofmylife
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

That's an interesting calculator. I always thought that I had a more competitive advantage at longer distance races, but the calculator ranked me in a higher percentile with my 5K time than my marathon. Who knew?

Age grading has its uses, but it only compares you to the world record (or estimated equivalent) for that specific distance for people of your age and sex. For women, the marathon world record is so exceptionally good that we all get less good age graded scores for it, even if our actual performance is better than for our 5k. But WAVA only calculates one distance at a time for people in your category. If you want to compare your own times at different races, you could try the McMillan calculator (on that, my 5k is significantly less good than my marathon). www.mcmillanrunning.com

ETA: but if you want to judge 'competitive advantage' what you want is ranking lists - my 5k time gets me my best age grading (me compared to the world record), and my half marathon is my 'best' performance according to McMillan (most impressive performance compared to my other races), but my best national ranking is for the marathon, probably because fewer women are racing them.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Is this a simple case that OP knows her mike split pace and has worked out that it's closer to that of the HMarathoners than that of the 10kers and thus figured she will do better at the half distance without actually computing that increased distance means slower running? If she has never raced before and doesn't love maths it could be the explanation behind the otherwise insane idea that a HM would be best to do instead of a 10k?!

That said... I have done a marathon, many halves, 5ks etc but never actually raced a 10k except as part of an Olympic Tri. But I tell you what, I sure raced lots of 5ks and did a good few training runs of 12-14miles before I embarked on that first half-marathon!
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Maybe partly so. However, OP also mentioned walking for portion of race and thought she could still outperform more runners than in 10k. Possibly lots of walkers in half from the previous year's race? Don't know. But anyone predicting to be in bottom 10% of 10k runners and then thinking she can do better in half is just not thinking clearly.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

Age grading has its uses, but it only compares you to the world record (or estimated equivalent) for that specific distance for people of your age and sex. For women, the marathon world record is so exceptionally good that we all get less good age graded scores for it, even if our actual performance is better than for our 5k. But WAVA only calculates one distance at a time for people in your category. If you want to compare your own times at different races, you could try the McMillan calculator (on that, my 5k is significantly less good than my marathon). www.mcmillanrunning.com

ETA: but if you want to judge 'competitive advantage' what you want is ranking lists - my 5k time gets me my best age grading (me compared to the world record), and my half marathon is my 'best' performance according to McMillan (most impressive performance compared to my other races), but my best national ranking is for the marathon, probably because fewer women are racing them.

litsy3 How were you not in Rio ? You have incredible times !!!
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I know there is a huge difference between 6.2 and 13 miles....
    No, you don't "know." You think you know, but there is a huge difference, a difference you have to experience to understand. When your left calf is cramped up at mile 10, and you still have a 5k left to run, it's an entirely different mental game.

Running my second full marathon this weekend, and that goes into an entirely new place. Something about miles 15-18 wants to mentally crush me.

For me it's mile 20!
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Lots of people turn up to race halfs and even full marathons without sufficient training they pay for it. I remember during my first marathon one guy was saying he had only managed 3 miles, I had been training for 4 months and was still worried I wouldn't finish or collapse at some point, I wouldn't have turned up if I had only done 3 miles.

As one of the above posters said you can try to add a few longer runs at a very slow pace and see how you get on, if you really have your heart set on doing it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Naija82 wrote: »
    Lots of people turn up to race halfs and even full marathons without sufficient training they pay for it. I remember during my first marathon one guy was saying he had only managed 3 miles, I had been training for 4 months and was still worried I wouldn't finish or collapse at some point, I wouldn't have turned up if I had only done 3 miles.

As one of the above posters said you can try to add a few longer runs at a very slow pace and see how you get on, if you really have your heart set on doing it.

No expert here, having just run my first Half Marathon, but:

I trained from June 20 to the race date of September 25. The last 9 weeks of my training averaged between 22 and 32 miles per week, with longs runs of 10,11,12 and 13 (twice). I went in hoping for a 2:30 time, finding it hard to maintain an 11:27 mile pace in my long runs in training.

Now, mixed emotions:

I finished, positive,
    I beat my goal time, ran 2:17:10, positive (A personal best, it being my first Half);
    I finished well behind in the pack, 186 out of 245, not necessarily positive;
    Well behind in my gender group, 122 out of 152, and
    Well behind in my age and gender group, 8/10.

All that being said, I came to the conclusion that very few people enter a Half Marathon without being more prepared than many who may enter the shorter races, (Anyone in reasonably good condition can run and finish a 5K) which explains my finishing well back in all groups. I'm usually in the top half of my age/gender group.

Of course, it must be noted, that the results I am referencing do not list DNF'ers. ;-)

Now, don't get the idea that I'm less than pleased over my result, I'm probably too happy and proud over finishing the silly thing and beating my goal time. Truth be told, I am very likely to tell anyone who will listen about my run. It's just that my limited experience tells me that only those taking the race, and the training therefore, seriously finish.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Mmm...the silence is deafening.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

@blueeyez939 did you win?!
  • hhumphries578
    hhumphries578 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was only running 4 or 5 miles at one point, and then my friend told me she needed a partner for her half marathon in one month. I started preparing and running every day more and more, and by the time the half marathon came around, the most I had ever run was 9 miles. And I did it! I ran the whole half marathon!! It was a lot of fun. I did come out of that whole experience with a minor foot injury where it hurt to walk/run (plantar fasciitis?) but that healed up really fast. I don't regret doing that half marathon!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

@blueeyez939 did you win?!

OP hasn't logged in since Sept 29th.