Options
124»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »

Who told you that? Do you have celiac disease?

-because non-celiac gluten sensitivity has been proven (by the guy who originally discovered it) not to exist.

I don't know where you get this from but it's a crock. I have blood work showing different members of my home highly allergic to gluten years ago. At one point the inflammation it was causing my son almost killed him. That said, a whole lot of work healing the guts in this house and we can eat gluten with no problems now. But it took me years of working with different people to get there.

Yes, gluten allergies and sensitivities are quite real.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-who-found-evidence-for-gluten-sensitivity-have-now-shown-it-doesn-t-exist

Articles like this are somewhat offensive to those of us who actually get really sick. If only I could read this, and then go eat some toast or a bagel, and NOT have any adverse reactions......

I sincerely apologize. I should know better. My intention was to help but clearly I did not...who cares why it works for you so long as it does. It's none of my business and you're not hurting anybody by following your instincts. I'll Stearns clear in the future.

No apologies necessary..xo
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thoughts on gluten free paper plates? I saw these at the grocery store the other day...honestly, with the whole gluten thing I can't tell what's real and what's total BS. My BIL and SIL went gluten free a couple of years ago for no reason...they were just fine...all they complain about is how they've gone GF and haven't lost any weight.

LOL...I purchased shampoo the other day that said Gluten Free and was surprised too....

As for your BIL and SIL, maybe they substituted the gluten products for same amount or more of cals of non gluten...lots of people treat it like a fad diet, and we all know how well that works.

If I could eat it, I totally would...The smell of bread, bagels, pasta etc is enough to make me crazy sometimes, I miss it SO much!! But what a horror show whenever I do consume by accident...not worth it.

Yeah, I pretty much LMAO...they eat a lot of GF pasta, bread, muffins, etc...it all would seem to be roughly equivalent to a product with gluten, just without the gluten...but they're convinced that the gluten is the problem.

The whole paper plate thing I think is weird and I'm pretty much convinced that it's a marketing scam...it was like 20 plates for $15

Dixie used to have paper plates that used an ingredient that contained Gluten. They have probably since that time changed the ingredient in their product.

Really? Could it be rumor? Perhaps that paper plates were manufactured in a facility that manufactures wheat, barely or rye, which means there could have been a cross-contamination issue.

Not a rumor and not cross-contamination. Most biodegradable dinnerware (plates, cups, bowls) are made from wheat straw. Here's an ingredient list from Earth's Natural Biodegradable Plates:

Made from unbleached, chlorine free, pesticide free, dye free, natural discarded wheat stalk and bagasse (sugarcane fiber)

There were a bunch of these at my supermarket on the markdown shelf (50% off). Perhaps they are realizing it's not a good seller because of the ingredients.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Instead of bread, choose rice or corn or buckwheat or another gluten free grain.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    .... aaaand I just found out I am allergic to gluten. Turns out my break-outs and lack of energy is coming from my gluten intake. Just as I am starting to get back on the healthy eating train, too! For me, it's so hard to find filling foods that aren't bread.

I need suggestions friends on yummy snacks and meals that are gluten free. I'm not a HUGE meat fan. I eat meat, but I honestly can do without. So please don't tell me chicken and broccoli :p

Thank you friends!

Who's told you that you are allergic to gluten? If it's not a medical doctor and they haven't given you the tests don't believe it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Thoughts on gluten free paper plates? I saw these at the grocery store the other day...honestly, with the whole gluten thing I can't tell what's real and what's total BS. My BIL and SIL went gluten free a couple of years ago for no reason...they were just fine...all they complain about is how they've gone GF and haven't lost any weight.

LOL...I purchased shampoo the other day that said Gluten Free and was surprised too....

As for your BIL and SIL, maybe they substituted the gluten products for same amount or more of cals of non gluten...lots of people treat it like a fad diet, and we all know how well that works.

If I could eat it, I totally would...The smell of bread, bagels, pasta etc is enough to make me crazy sometimes, I miss it SO much!! But what a horror show whenever I do consume by accident...not worth it.

Yeah, I pretty much LMAO...they eat a lot of GF pasta, bread, muffins, etc...it all would seem to be roughly equivalent to a product with gluten, just without the gluten...but they're convinced that the gluten is the problem.

The whole paper plate thing I think is weird and I'm pretty much convinced that it's a marketing scam...it was like 20 plates for $15

Dixie used to have paper plates that used an ingredient that contained Gluten. They have probably since that time changed the ingredient in their product.

Really? Could it be rumor? Perhaps that paper plates were manufactured in a facility that manufactures wheat, barely or rye, which means there could have been a cross-contamination issue.

Not a rumor and not cross-contamination. Most biodegradable dinnerware (plates, cups, bowls) are made from wheat straw. Here's an ingredient list from Earth's Natural Biodegradable Plates:

Made from unbleached, chlorine free, pesticide free, dye free, natural discarded wheat stalk and bagasse (sugarcane fiber)

There were a bunch of these at my supermarket on the markdown shelf (50% off). Perhaps they are realizing it's not a good seller because of the ingredients.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/08/05/call-your-food-gluten-free-as-of-today-there-are-rules/

Interesting bit of reading...I'm still pretty skeptical of the need for gluten free paper plates and toilette paper...I think some of this is just profiteering...
    But it isn’t only the food makers that are trying to tap into demand for gluten-free products. World Centric, a 10-year-old company that makes environmentally friendly paper goods, touts that its paper plates and toilet paper also are gluten free. It says the plates are made from wheatstraw fiber, which comes from the stalks of the wheat plants, and the stalks do not store gluten. “Those are stored in the grains, and our products do not contain gluten or allergens,” its website says, noting that it meets the new FDA standards for gluten-free, which the packaging advertises.

No, World Centric doesn’t expect people to eat its toilet paper. They’re responding to consumers who believe—and post on message boards for people with celiac disease—that for people highly intolerant of gluten, even coming in contact with the protein on their skin can cause harm. Most medical experts say gluten can’t be absorbed through the skin, but consumers who share self-described horror stories involving paper products with gluten have fueled a sense that it could be dangerous for at least some people to even touch products containing gluten. One website that offers advice on avoiding gluten even lists dish soap as a possible culprit.