Are bananas that bad?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    Good source of potassium, and they're filling! I usually eat one a day, been losing a lb per week at least. I believe most if not all natural foods are healthy, within calorie limits of course.

ETA: I do avoid eating those evil spotted ones. I throw those in the freezer for later use in banana bread!!

Really? Do they freeze well? Do you just throw them in there whole or do you peel them first?

If I'm using whole bananas (ie: banana bread) I will freeze them whole with the skin on. I usually put them in a zip-lock bag first. Thaw the banana with the skin on and peel before baking. Texture is weird but it gets mashed up anyway.

When you want to make smoothies......freeze the banana peeled (slices or halves).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Not unless you are allergic to them or something.
    If you don't have a medical condition that requires you to limit sugars don't worry about it.
    If you want specific dietary advice I recommend you talk to a registered dietician not your other half and friends.

I have PCOS, but my doctor says that bananas are fine, as long as they are in moderation and I am eating well and working out - which I am doing anyway :smile:

It should be noted that many people with PCOS tend to improve results when carbs are controlled and kept under 140g per day. But YMMV. There is a PCOS group here if you want specific dietary advice for that condition.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Back in the 1980's, one of my nieces had a habit of freezing whole, peeled, bananas wrapped in plastic or foil and then eating them right out of the fridge instead of having an ice cream bar ... and we have been doing that because they taste so good that way. I, however, prefer to cut them up to use in my morning porridge or in smoothies.

Adding a banana to my morning oatmeal is especially tasty when I use peanut butter in the oatmeal as well .. 1 cup water, 1/2 a large banana (frozen or fresh) cut up, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1 tsp cinnamon .... such a tasty breakfast treat. It comes in to about 1/3 my calories for the day, and keeps me satisfied for hours.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd eat that.

Wait, wut?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Lost 55+ eating one or two daily.

What was the question?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. You body is not distinguishing between "natural" sugar and processed sugar.

A large banana isn't that different from a cupcake in terms of calories and sugar. If you are sensitive to carbs, bananas are a no-no. They are also very high on the Gylcemic Index. If you aren't sensitive to carbs, you can probably get away with it, especially if you have a large calorie allowance. A better choice might be something like berries or cherries, which have more nutrients and fiber with less sugar.

Bananas also have a huge carbon footprint (because of how they are produced and how they are transported halfway around the world), are not a environmentally sustainable food and are often associated with very shady politics in the areas from which they are exported--particularly bananas from Ecuador. They aren't a very environmentally or socially conscious choice.

There is nothing in a banana that you cannot get from other foods with better macros and fewer calories. For example, spinach is a much better source of potassium...and a whole cup only has 8 calories.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    YES
    6v5eqtcvdlen.jpg

NO
    r4z2iqkmww42.jpg

Definitely NO
    it5au4nzdrqi.jpg

Yes
    Maybe, because I am lazy and don't want to go back to the store.
    Bannana bread time.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. You body is not distinguishing between "natural" sugar and processed sugar.

Here we go again.

A fruit has a lot more going for it than a donut or a can of Coke. Every nutritionist on the planet will tell you eat the fruit instead of the donut, assuming the sugar content is the same. Every nutritionist will tell you to avoid or minimize Coke.

Yes, chemically it's the same. But in terms of nutrition and weight loss it is not. So there is no need to state that sugar is sugar on a weight loss site.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A large banana isn't that different from a cupcake in terms of calories and sugar.

Most bananas I eat are about 100 calories, maybe 90, maybe 120. (I weigh them, and I usually avoid large bananas.) Most cupcakes aren't actually around 100 calories -- only tiny ones are. In fact, if you think about it, it's pretty much impossible for a cupcake to be similar to a banana in calories AND sugar, since the cupcake gets calories from sugar, flour, and fat, and the banana gets its calories mostly from sugar alone.

That said, I'd happily enjoy a little 100 calorie cupcake if I had one that was a well-made and worthwhile cupcake. (If it also had the other nutrients bananas do, was as filling for me as a banana with the same calories, and worked as well as a pre run meal, bonus! Even if not, no biggie (I usually have plenty of potassium, after all). It would still be a nice after dinner snack.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had a banana last night, and it hadn't crossed over enough to the yellow side. It was... crunchy, is the only way i can explain it, not nice at all :confounded:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Bad bananas are good - they make A great ingredient for banana loaf!!

171761.jpg
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    sprepej wrote: »
    You can make great, super-healthy "ice cream" by pureeing a sliced, frozen banana with some (unsweetened) cocoa powder, maybe some cinnamon, and just enough plant milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk). You can even throw in a little frozen mango, too. It comes out like soft serve ice cream, and it's loaded with potassium and all kinds of good things. Banana is great for you, and so is the unsweetened cocoa powder.

Even easier yet - buy a Yonanas machine. You put frozen bananas into it and it makes them into soft serve ice cream, no other ingredients added. It works with other fruits too, really a cool machine.
    Errr or just put in the blender. .. takes under an hour to freeze cut up banana then blend into icecream. .. Without buying a machine!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Here we go again.

A fruit has a lot more going for it than a donut or a can of Coke. Every nutritionist on the planet will tell you eat the fruit instead of the donut, assuming the sugar content is the same. Every nutritionist will tell you to avoid or minimize Coke.

Yes, chemically it's the same. But in terms of nutrition and weight loss it is not. So there is no need to state that sugar is sugar on a weight loss site.

Unless its on a post where someone is asking if they need to avoid "natural" sugars.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    sprepej wrote: »
    You can make great, super-healthy "ice cream" by pureeing a sliced, frozen banana with some (unsweetened) cocoa powder, maybe some cinnamon, and just enough plant milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk). You can even throw in a little frozen mango, too. It comes out like soft serve ice cream, and it's loaded with potassium and all kinds of good things. Banana is great for you, and so is the unsweetened cocoa powder.

Even easier yet - buy a Yonanas machine. You put frozen bananas into it and it makes them into soft serve ice cream, no other ingredients added. It works with other fruits too, really a cool machine.
    Errr or just put in the blender. .. takes under an hour to freeze cut up banana then blend into icecream. .. Without buying a machine!

You need a powerful blender though, like i said above my ninja burnt out the first time i tried making banana ice cream, could be coincidence though, it may have been on it's way out...
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A banana killed my pa.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Best way to use the ripe bananas if you don't want to make bread.

2 ripe bananas - mashed
    Add 1 3/4 cups quick oats
    1/4 cup chocolate chips

Form into balls (they do get messy trying it that way so I use a cookie scoop)
    Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins.

Fast and pretty good :)
  • nancyizen
    nancyizen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic you need to be aware of the calories (55 in a small banana) and sugar content ( the riper the more sugar) I am diabetic and choose to buy smaller bananas that are still a little green. Most of my fruit consumption is blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. I can eat more of them without the sugar load.