Are you afraid of fats?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    No, definately not. I use olive oil on my veg, allow calories for nut butters and eat meat, salmon, sardines, all fatty fish.
    My dairy products aren't ever no fat, not even really low fat ,I think its 2.5 %. I will fit cheese in too and I eat eggs.

Its a matter of balance and counting how much I want to eat those things and fitting them in.
    Logging has halped me eat more variety, I can see better how to work out a tasty but calorie appropriate meal plan.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    selina884 wrote: »
    So, in the UK we are scared and pushed into believing that fats = weight gain and in order to lose weight, we must succumb to low fat options/keep our fat intake down.

Have you seen this too? Ever fallen into this before realizing its a myth?

If you know of people trying to lose weight by lowering fat (only) - would you try to educate them?

Well, a lot of fad diets focus on low fat foods and don't mention calories.
    Lower fat does equal lower calorie in many cases. Lower calorie should equal weight loss if it is the right amount for the person to have a deficit.
    I am not afraid of fats. I know we need some fat in our diets to be healthy. I do not eat a super low fat diet. I watch my calorie intake and know that if I slather things in oil or butter the calories go up but I'm giving up something with more nutritious to have more calories come from fat. So there isn't a fat eating frenzy either. Moderation.
    If someone was discussing weight loss and said you could not eat fat and lose weight I would correct them and tell them weight loss was about calories. They could eat nothing but butter all day and lose weight if they had a calorie deficit. (Not recommending an all butter diet)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    ... and also full fat cream and butter when the food needs it, like with potatoes or oatmeal. One tablespoon, or even half that is enough in oatmeal for cream, and a teaspoon and a half of butter is usually pretty good. Its not really many calories compard to many other things.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    No.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    The only people I try to educate are my kids and grandkids. Everyone else is on their own ;)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    No, I don't. I lived in Denmark for a while and gained a lot of weight. Not because my normal diet consisted of so much fat, but because stuff I was used to eating was all low-fat there. It was so difficult to find proper stiff full fat yogurt, full fat milk, so many other things. This was particularly true at work which served breakfast and lunch. And if you take fat out of food it loses a lot of taste. I was just longing for food with taste that I bought a lot of stuff additionally. Well.. that lead to gaining weight of course.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I love fat! It's been great getting to eat all I want, but like people have said, it does up the calories.

Personally, the big struggle when I eat high-fat is making sure that it's not all animal fat and mayonnaise. I have to make sure to do the olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, walnuts and almonds, etc.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    No, I don't. I lived in Denmark for a while and gained a lot of weight. Not because my normal diet consisted of so much fat, but because stuff I was used to eating was all low-fat there. It was so difficult to find proper stiff full fat yogurt, full fat milk, so many other things. This was particularly true at work which served breakfast and lunch. And if you take fat out of food it loses a lot of taste. I was just longing for food with taste that I bought a lot of stuff additionally. Well.. that lead to gaining weight of course.

Denmark had the best tasting butter, cheese... heck, all of the dairy, that I've ever experienced. Decent pork, too. The one amazing thing was, for a country comprised of islands (and one near-island, peninsula type thing), the seafood was terrible.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    In my experience the low fat foods usually have more sugar added for taste. I try to go for full fat in moderation of course, it helps keep me full instead of lower fat sugar stuff.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Not afraid of fats. I do realize that reducing some of my higher fat containing foods helps me stay on track better. Fats are important for many metabolic processes. Higher fat foods are not always filling. It's about balance.

I would never tell a person following a low fat diet that it's not necessary. I don't know their medical history and maybe that works better for them when it comes to restricting calories.

^All of this. I'm not afraid of fat, I just don't find it filling. I follow a lower fat diet, because I budget my calories towards the vegetables, fruits, grains, and lean protein sources that I find more filling. Fat is a flavor enhancer for me. That's it.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    selina884 wrote: »
    So, in the UK we are scared and pushed into believing that fats = weight gain and in order to lose weight, we must succumb to low fat options/keep our fat intake down.

Have you seen this too? Ever fallen into this before realizing its a myth?

If you know of people trying to lose weight by lowering fat (only) - would you try to educate them?

LOL, I thought the title asked "Are you afraid of tats?" and I was going to say no....

No to fear of fats also. I add avocado, some olives, and olive oil to my food every week per my doctor's advice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Denmark had the best tasting butter, cheese... heck, all of the dairy, that I've ever experienced. Decent pork, too. The one amazing thing was, for a country comprised of islands (and one near-island, peninsula type thing), the seafood was terrible.

You think so? I found it terrible. But then again I lived in an area where supermarkets only stocked Arla stuff :(
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Yes I think I am .. I read a book called the t factor diet which had you count fat grams instead of calories .. now if I remember right it said.60 grams for men ... MFP has my micros at 54 grams ... so I guess I'm low fat ... I would love to have nice bone in ribeye every day . It just doesn't fit in my calores very well lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I would love to have nice bone in ribeye every day . It just doesn't fit in my calores very well lol
    It just doesn't fit my budget very well. ;)

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I would love to have nice bone in ribeye every day . It just doesn't fit in my calores very well lol
    It just doesn't fit my budget very well. ;)

Well that too lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    johunt615 wrote: »
    In my experience the low fat foods usually have more sugar added for taste. I try to go for full fat in moderation of course, it helps keep me full instead of lower fat sugar stuff.

Exactly. If they swap out fats for sugar, I'll eat the full fats.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Fat is delicious. I cannot be afraid of something so delicious.... ;)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I thought that low fat was a thing of the past (except for people that find it helps them eat less calories or have a medical reason). But, about six months ago I joined a plant based diet group online. They are a great group! But, I was surprised how they promoted a low fat diet. So, the diet was high carb. I had to leave the group. I got very sick. I joined while dealing with a medical issue, but at first I didn't know it was a type of carb malabsorption I was dealing with. More and more these days I hear how good fat is. But, there is so much conflicting info out there. But, I eat what is working for my body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    I was born in the 70's and can't remember the push or recommendation for low fat, so it's never been ingrained in me.

So, no I'm not afraid of fats. Avocado's, mayo, bacon, steak, yogurt, milk, cheese, butter, eggs- These are all staples in my diet.

Not a day goes by here (Australia) that i don't see or read an article on the "evils" of sugar though.... Fat seems to be the good guy now.