Are you afraid of fats?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I try to get 50% of my calories from fat. Im not scared of it at all. It keeps me full longer so I actually eat less through out the day.

I have tried to educate friends who believed that eating fat is what makes you fat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Are you afraid of fats?

No.

But fatty food does seem to set my gallbladder off which is rather unpleasant.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    According to this article, the low fat thing came out in the 1980s. As I recall, it hit Canada in the late 1980s/early 1990s when everything on the shelves started sporting new "99% FAT FREE!!!!" labels. Including products that were 99% fat free in the first place.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/dieting-through-decades-what-weve-learned-fads

In the early 1990s my ex-husband started going to Weight Watchers. I've always been a CI<CO person so I took a look at the calorie content of the WW foods, and their ingredients. Of course everything he brought home then was "FAT FREE!!!", but when I looked at the calorie content, it wasn't much lower than stuff we could get in the supermarket .... and when I looked at the ingredients, I discovered these foods were loaded with sugar. They had to be to get any kind of flavour going.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Do people in the UK still get perms, wear gold lame parachute pants, sport shoulder-padded blouses, accessorize with forehead sweatbands, listen to boom boxes and read Leo Buscaglia books?

Don't forget the crimped side pony tail and large plastic earrings!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No. But I also don't have a very high fat diet because I like a high volume of food.

I'm actually more afraid of low fat. I've done that once. It wreaked havoc on my hormones.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I did in the 90's and turn of century. Now? Not so much. Most of my diet is fat. ;)
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited September 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...but reducing fat is also a good way of reducing calories...fat is 9 calories per gram. A lot of people consume too much fat...the SAD is basically a high fat, high carbohydrate diet...not a good combo...most people eating the SAD could stand to reduce both fat and carbohydrates...and more specifically carbohydrates coming from free sugars and other nutrient deficient sources.

This is the myth that won't go away. Fat has 9 calories per gram, so it makes you fat. Really? Who cares how many calories per gram it has?

Two jumbo eggs, a strip of bacon and coffee has a ton more fat than a bagel with low-fat cream cheese (or margarine) and 12 ounces of orange juice. So which breakfast has far fewer calories and may provide better satiety? That's right, the fatty bacon and eggs.

Time to bury this myth about fat once and for all. Fat in in itself does not make you fat.

The new US nutrition labels will no longer provide the number of fat calories. That proves it.

• gonetothedogs19
    No...but reducing fat is also a good way of reducing calories...fat is 9 calories per gram. A lot of people consume too much fat...the SAD is basically a high fat, high carbohydrate diet...not a good combo...most people eating the SAD could stand to reduce both fat and carbohydrates...and more specifically carbohydrates coming from free sugars and other nutrient deficient sources.

This is the myth that won't go away. Fat has 9 calories per gram, so it makes you fat. Really? Who cares how many calories per gram it has?

Two jumbo eggs, a strip of bacon and coffee has a ton more fat than a bagel with low-fat cream cheese (or margarine) and 12 ounces of orange juice. So which breakfast has far fewer calories and may provide better satiety? That's right, the fatty bacon and eggs.

Time to bury this myth about fat once and for all. Fat in in itself does not make you fat.

The new US nutrition labels will no longer provide the number of fat calories. That proves it.

Calories per gram might be important to someone who knows it's calories that lead to weight loss/gain.

That makes no sense. What does calories per gram have to do with the number of calories you consume?

I just gave an example of two breakfasts - the one that is loaded with fat has far fewer calories than the high-carb, high-sugar alternative.

And if the USDA is no longer providing the number of fat calories, obviously it is not fat calories that make you fat.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    I am in the uk, and it's sugar they keep banging on about more not fat
    Anyway I don't track my fat intake or sugar
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited September 2016

That's fine, but for 30 years it has been drummed into the heads of Americans that fat makes you fat. So people spend more time trying to avoid fat than trying to consume fewer calories. It's maddening.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

Calories per gram might be important to someone who knows it's calories that lead to weight loss/gain.

That makes no sense. What does calories per gram have to do with the number of calories you consume?

I just gave an example of two breakfasts - the one that is loaded with fat has far fewer calories than the high-carb, high-sugar alternative.

And if the USDA is no longer providing the number of fat calories, obviously it is not fat calories that make you fat.

Because if one would want bigger portions, they might want to consume less fat. Knowing how fat compares to carbs and protein in terms of calorie density can be useful information when figuring out their own prefered way of eating.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Your brain is mainly made of fatty acids, the majority are actually saturated. Cutting out your fat intake robs your brain of the materials it needs to function.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I am somewhat afraid of fats, but because of any health woo. I don't digest fats very well. If I eat too much fat in one sitting my digestion will punish me for it with pain, bloating and diarrhea. It's always a bit of a balancing act to get enough for my body's needs without reaching the point of problem.

(had to have my gall bladder removed last year and my digestion's been out of whack since. Thankfully I have an awesome doctor and dietician who help me figure out what's appropriate for me. :smiley: )
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member

yeah actually it was on the radio this morning.
    Food industries have a 5 year target to reduce sugars in their meals by 20%.

..but definitely low sugar is the most "recent" craze alongside "high protein" diets.

I think it's confused the entire population and people don't understand whats good for them anymore.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Just to answer - I have never been afraid of fats.

Fat's keep me satiated but I did personally fall for the "high protein, low carb" diet when I was extremely active, and lifting 5 days per week and that's because I was constantly getting my information from bodybuilding websites.

• gonetothedogs19
    There is a low-carb group on this page with 32,000 members. Is there a low-fat group? Couldn't find it. That says it all.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Calories per gram matters to volume eaters.
    selina884 wrote: »

yeah actually it was on the radio this morning.
    Food industries have a 5 year target to reduce sugars in their meals by 20%.

..but definitely low sugar is the most "recent" craze alongside "high protein" diets.

I think it's confused the entire population and people don't understand whats good for them anymore.

Anymore???
  • gonetothedogs19
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Way to misinterpret or distort his comment.

He didn't say that fat makes you fat. He said that reducing fat can be a good (I'd say easy) way of reducing calories. Worked for me. For example, I took a normal meal I'd make and added less oil or butter or less cheese, or both. Lots of foods I used to add cheese to, I don't. Oil I use much more sparingly. Those are changes that reduced calories significantly and yet are almost unnoticeable by me (there are other ways to add flavor if you need).

Well of course you shouldn't cook with more oil or more butter than you need. You could also eat less of the stuff you are putting in the oil or butter, whether it contains lots of fat or little fat.

The no-fat mantra culminated in the 1990's disaster of horrible and tasteless Snackwell Cookies. They were flying off the shelves because they contained no fat. Same calories as cookies with fat, but that did not matter because Americans were totally brainwashed by the stupid USDA and their junk science.

Snackwell cookies were healthy, eggs would give you a heart attack.

Let's stop worrying about fat. There is nothing to worry about.