Do guys really...

littlemissbgiff
littlemissbgiff Posts: 5,824 Member
edited September 2016 in Chit-Chat
Believe that cat calling a woman from the road is a compliment? Is that what it's meant be?
Ive been trapped in my head for a few days so I decided to go for a bit of a walk. I live in a fairly quiet area but due to some sidewalk construction I opted for a more heavily traveled route. A few minutes in to my walk, I hear the blaring of a truck horn from behind me and looked to see some men passing me and yelling out the window. I was wearing head phones and truth be told, crying a little bit so it scared the hell out of me. I am certainly nothing special but I'm not a monster either so I don't think they were insulting me. Once the fright wore off and they were long gone, I am left just scratching my head at why men do this. What is the purpose of this ritual? Has any man actually scored this way? This is not an attempt to bash men, this is a genuine question. Why do men do this?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I don't know, but my daughter is 12 and starting to get hollered at by grown men driving by - it completely freaks her out and it's part of what is wrong in our world.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Some guys are stupid enough to think that when they makes those kind of hoots and hollars, women immediately become uncontrollably turned on and they'll have a chance to score.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    I hear you, it's horrible!

On another note, I'm sorry you were crying xo
  • JustMissTracy
    Maybe they weren't looking to meet you, but wanted to show their appreciation at the sight of you? It's not the nicest way of receiving a compliment, but it could have been worse?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It's not a compliment. To qualify as a compliment it would have to be polite and there's nothing polite about yelling at strangers.
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Guys care about one thing ...... Men care about the everything that makes you.....you.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    Some guys are stupid enough to think that when they makes those kind of hoots and hollars, women immediately become uncontrollably turned on and they'll have a chance to score.
    Ok but how? They were driving past me? Should I have run behind them waving my arms? How is this a viable route to meeting a woman?

I don't know HOW...LOL I'm just sayin' they think that. Just like some people believe the earth is flat...there is no logic behind it..they just believe it :D
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    That must be a regional thing, because I have never seen that kind of behavior out in public in Ca
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Believe that cat calling a woman from the road is a compliment? Is that what it's meant be?

I'm sure some do. Remember, guys are people too. That means we're all different from one another. Since I've never cat called anybody, I can't give you any insight into why somebody might think it's a good idea to.
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Guys care about one thing ...... Men care about the everything that makes you.....you.

You are right. But does this tactic work for guys then? Its the silliest thing!

Truth be told, the older you get the more you care about building as long-lasting relationship, when you are younger (early 20's) the postage stamp illusion seems to be all that matters.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Ok but how? They were driving past me? Should I have run behind them waving my arms? How is this a viable route to meeting a woman?

I don't know HOW...LOL I'm just sayin' they think that. Just like some people believe the earth is flat...there is no logic behind it..they just believe it :D

I don't think they think that. I think they're just being sexually aggressive in a way that intimidates and they like feeling the nasty glow it gives them. And they know better. They don't do it at the workplace or at the City Hall when they go to pay their parking tickets. They do it as they drive by mostly. Or to a much younger stranger when they're walking by. Someone they don't know and will probably never see again.

Either way, it's pretty pathetic.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Wouldn't know, I've never done it.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    TBH I'd appreciate such attention
  • JustMissTracy
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    TBH I'd appreciate such attention

I'd yell out the window at you!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    I been cat called and had my head petted like an dog by women..usually alcohol was involved. I wasnt offended by it and chuckled actually. My buddy in high school used to cat call at women. I found it embarrassing when he would . OHTL beat me to the gender specific comment. Props OHTL.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    @Karb_Kween I think you're definitely worth a hollar just for using evan peters as your profile pic.

LOL
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    @NorthCascades That's exactly what I wanted to hear

I'm a people person.