• BreanaRenae
    BreanaRenae Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 50 miles!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    140 km Monthly Goal.
    I have been missing it by a whisker so will keep it at 140km.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    ^^ Woody! <3

I'm in for October. Going for 100+ miles again.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    One of my goals for the next year is:

- change nutrition profile - daily eating habits I used to lose 135lbs can no longer be used when running 20+ miles a week - need to change daily nutrition profile to support new amount of exercise

I started in June 2015 at 315 lbs, and for the last 15 months I have changed my diet to a clean eating diet (80% or so) eating around 1850 calories per day and I have lost 135 lbs - down to 180 lbs. I have been working with a Hal Higdon 10K training plan and I am now up to running 15-20 miles a week. I'm guessing my caloric intake needs to increase...

Many online calculators seem to indicate at my age and weight, I should be eating between 2300 base calories per day and then modify base don the run length for that day. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 235 which estimated I burned 1100 calories during last night's 7 mile run. That means I would want to eat 2300 + 1100 which seems like alot. I've always been nervous about eating back all the calories I burned because I don't trust those numbers to be accurate off a wrist base HR monitor.

Do these numbers seem reasonable or do they seem a bit high? I'm guessing I need to increase - just not sure how much...
  • Jenniferkenn
    Jenniferkenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 100 miles of running!!!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    One of my goals for the next year is:

- change nutrition profile - daily eating habits I used to lose 135lbs can no longer be used when running 20+ miles a week - need to change daily nutrition profile to support new amount of exercise

I started in June 2015 at 315 lbs, and for the last 15 months I have changed my diet to a clean eating diet (80% or so) eating around 1850 calories per day and I have lost 135 lbs - down to 180 lbs. I have been working with a Hal Higdon 10K training plan and I am now up to running 15-20 miles a week. I'm guessing my caloric intake needs to increase...

Many online calculators seem to indicate at my age and weight, I should be eating between 2300 base calories per day and then modify base don the run length for that day. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 235 which estimated I burned 1100 calories during last night's 7 mile run. That means I would want to eat 2300 + 1100 which seems like alot. I've always been nervous about eating back all the calories I burned because I don't trust those numbers to be accurate off a wrist base HR monitor.

Do these numbers seem reasonable or do they seem a bit high? I'm guessing I need to increase - just not sure how much...

First of all, your weight loss has been impressive!! Congratulations!! I know it was hard work, and you should be very proud of yourself!! :) I had 40 lbs to lose and have been maintaining since about March of this year. I eat healthy for the most part, but when I go on vacations or if there are special occasions, I'll splurge, and I know I can get back to my maintenance weight fairly easily. I do not typically eat back all my calories from exercise. I often eat some back, but not all. However, I weigh a lot less, I'm a female, and I've over 29 again and again, so I don't burn that many calories to begin with and I can't eat that many calories. Except on Long Run Days. I love Long Run Days...I get to eat!! :smiley:

What you can do is just try eating more if you aren't looking to lose weight as fast or if you are looking to maintain. If you find the scale going up, adjust your net accordingly. However, I would be careful about eating back all calories burned. It looks like your Garmin is probably over estimating.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/314404-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-per-mile/

The formula for calories burned from running is:
    .75 * your weight * miles ran = x

The formula for net calories burned from running (this takes out calories from your basal metabolic rate) is:
    .63 * your weight * miles ran = x

If you do the calculation for your weight and the distance you ran and compare it with what your Garmin said, you'll see your Garmin is high. My Garmin fluctuates from being over to under.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @mmteixeira Wow! I am still trying to lose, so you are the only one to be giving advice between the two of us, but I wanted to say congratulations! Very impressive!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First month I have seen this, I will go for 30 Miles, and I will look at adding a ticker later.