• emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First time here.
    I'll try 75 miles.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First of all, your weight loss has been impressive!! Congratulations!! I know it was hard work, and you should be very proud of yourself!! :) I had 40 lbs to lose and have been maintaining since about March of this year. I eat healthy for the most part, but when I go on vacations or if there are special occasions, I'll splurge, and I know I can get back to my maintenance weight fairly easily. I do not typically eat back all my calories from exercise. I often eat some back, but not all. However, I weigh a lot less, I'm a female, and I've over 29 again and again, so I don't burn that many calories to begin with and I can't eat that many calories. Except on Long Run Days. I love Long Run Days...I get to eat!! :smiley:

What you can do is just try eating more if you aren't looking to lose weight as fast or if you are looking to maintain. If you find the scale going up, adjust your net accordingly. However, I would be careful about eating back all calories burned. It looks like your Garmin is probably over estimating.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/314404-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-per-mile/

The formula for calories burned from running is:
    .75 * your weight * miles ran = x

The formula for net calories burned from running (this takes out calories from your basal metabolic rate) is:
    .63 * your weight * miles ran = x

If you do the calculation for your weight and the distance you ran and compare it with what your Garmin said, you'll see your Garmin is high. My Garmin fluctuates from being over to under.

Thank you!!! :)

Following what you suggested, I will probably start by bumping the 1850 up to 2300 (the 1850 was an approx 500 calorie deficit) and then on long run days add in a couple hundred calories - so daily between 2300 to 2500 calories and monitor my weight to see how we do from there... I have already started adding back in more carbs - whole wheat variety - to help feed my running...

• kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Gonna try for 50 miles.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »

Thank you!!! :)

Following what you suggested, I will probably start by bumping the 1850 up to 2300 (the 1850 was an approx 500 calorie deficit) and then on long run days add in a couple hundred calories - so daily between 2300 to 2500 calories and monitor my weight to see how we do from there... I have already started adding back in more carbs - whole wheat variety - to help feed my running...

@mmteixeira ... I did P90 too! I did the 30 minute version, and it got me in such great shape!! I also lost 30 lbs with it over the 90 day period. From there I also got into running and am loving it. I wish I started a long time ago. In addition to running, I also do strength training and yoga.

Anyway, the way I look at it is it's easier to eat more, but cutting back is hard. I do change my numbers on MFP from time to time. For example, I gained weight when I went on vacation in August and again in September when I went to Afghanistan, so I adjusted my MFP from maintaining to losing to maintaining to losing, and now I'm back to maintaining again. Yay! I've found the calorie goals on MFP to work for me.

Best wishes in your running and achieving your goals!! Awesome work so far! :smiley:
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am in for 75 but hopefully, stretch it to 85, depending how I am feeling with increasing mileage, strength training, maybe even some speedwork for beginners...
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Hey yall!
    Had been out for 2 months with a broken fibula :( I just got the okay from doc to lace up

(well, not entirely true, but if you don't tell him neither will i)

so put me down for 25miles (starting small..with the hope of underpromising and overdelivering)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 My brother used to live in Stoney Creek, but now lives in Kitchener. The last time I visited him, we stayed in Hamilton. My husband and I loved it there. :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I am an absolute newbie. I'm setting my goal at 125 miles walking and 10 miles running for the month of October. I've never run before so all advice and motivation is welcome!

Keep coming back, and don't be timid about jumping right in! :wink:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - Coming to Iowa for Thanksgiving? Nice!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @karllundy That's a fantastic accomplishment. Congratulations to you! Very inspiring!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @karllundy -yes, an Iowa Thanksgiving with the family. I tried to rally some of them to join me for the Turkey Trot but so far no takers. Even though it includes cinnamon rolls and a fleece!

Try to have good weather for me. :)