Ran 1.03 miles, walked 2.2 miles
    1/60
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Goal: 30 Mi

10/1/2016: 4 Mi Total, 1.5 Mi Running

Distance Left: 28.5 Mi

Please let me know if there is a better format.

exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    6 km along the Riverbank trails. Staying low in the valley as the wind is howling out of the North so I was trying to hide from it as much as possible. It's all of 3 degrees here so a reminder to get the Fall/Winter gear out of the bottom of the dresser and move it to the Active Rotation Drawer, Was a planned 10km but my calf started to twinge so I pulled up and walked it home. Had a compression sock and Knee High Smart wool so it's not like my leg was cold. Has tightened up but is not screaming at me. Foam Roller here I come.

Like other people my Ticker was acting up does not show the 6km - I noticed other's had the same complaint yet when looking at their post's it showed the correct value.

October Running 140km Goal 160km Stretch
    10/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km – YTD 954.5 km
    10/01 – 6.0 km – 6.0 - 134 km – YTD 960.5 km

exercise.png
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone...I would appreciate any insight on heart rate, based upon my experience with my long run today.

My resting heart rate is 59. I'm a 47 year old female. So my max heart should be 173.

For my long runs, according to the runningforfitness.org heart rate chart, I should be in the 127-139 range. My aerobic zone would be 139-150, my anaerobic zone would be 150-162, with my VO2 max zone 162-173.

Today I ran 15km. I did not check my heart rate throughout the run, ran with a group. I ran with the slowest group, and my perceived exertion level was decent. Conditions were cool with light rain (14 degrees Celsius). Breathing was in control, never had to breathe faster than a 3-3 breathing pattern. I ran with two other ladies and was able to comfortably keep conversation going.

Didn't struggle with pace until the 12km mark (at which point I'm now running alone as they just want d to get 12km in). It was my legs that were getting fatigued and my back muscles were tiring too. I never struggled with breathing. And ran a slower final 3km. This was my longest run to date as I am working up to my first half marathon in early November.

When I got home and synced my heart rate data, I spent 92% of my run in my anaerobic zone, with an average heart rate over the whole run of 159.

I don't get it? My average pace was a little faster than my 10km pace last week but the route was flat and easy, but it felt like we were going a slower pace.

So I don't understand? My experience (breathing, perceived effort) would have dictated a much lower heart rate, when in fact I unintentionally appeared to have run almost my whole 15km in an anaerobic zone.

Do the experienced runners in this group have any words of wisdom to help me understand?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    1-/1 20 miles - 20

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 I often don't feel thr faster runs as much as the slower runs. Take today's run for example: I averaged 11:20 pace and 147 average HR, but I get more tired than when I've run through same distance at under 10 pace. I think part of it is endorphin release. At faster pace touch get more of a rush, and don't feel it, at slower pace, you feel every mile more. At least that's my 2 cents on it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I officially registered for two 2017 races this morning. A 5k on 6/16 and a HM on 6/17. According to the timing, there's only about 12 hours between the races, so I'm figuring the 5k will be a shake out rum with swag.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Oct  1     6.2      6.2 

exercise.png

• hadiach89
    hadiach89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in! It's been a while since I ran like a few years ago. I am aiming for a run/walk the first week , followed by running 1 mile a day for week 2, 1.5 miles a day for week 3 and 4. . 27 total miles for me with first week not included.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Daily check in: October 1 is not the day to run substantial distance yet. Make that Day 13 of No Running.

Today the club ran a concession stand at a cross country meet. I went and worked a 2 hour shift, got to talk to some friends and get some feedback from other runners who have been injured. I made the call that I won't be running the 5K cross country race in Tallahassee on November 6; I simply can't be confident that I'll be running again by then soon enough to make travel arrangements. Maybe I'll be confident far enough in advance of club nationals on December 12.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @MobyCarp it must be so frustrating being injured!!

@MNLittleFinn that's an interesting insight. Hadn't thought of that. Is there any issue with being in that anaerobic zone for that longer time frame?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

I run my half the day before you run yours. Good luck and have fun!

Oh, good luck to you too @ereck44! Hope it's a wonderful weekend for both of us!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Had a pretty good run this morning to start the month. Actually it was mostly a great run. For the first 10 miles I felt fantastic, like I could go on forever. But then I am not quite sure what happened, if it was the heat or what, but I didn't feel like I could run any more. My splits reflected it too - the first 10 miles were all right around or under an 11 min mile and the last 2 were 12 and 13 min miles... My legs are especially tired especially my glutes - too many squats I think at training on Tuesday and Thursday! Tomorrow through Tuesday we should have cooler more fall-like weather then it gets hot again. I am looking forward to my runs on Monday and Tuesday already but I am really so over the heat!

@MobyCarp - hang in there! You will be back out there with us soon!
    @jodilynnsanders5104 - I am no expert on the whole HR topic but if you were able to easily carry on a conversation you were probably not running in an anaerobic zone. Also are you wearing a HR monitor strap or relying on a wrist monitor. I have found that most wrist monitors are pretty inaccurate and seem to come in much higher than actual.
    @Elise4270 - exciting to see you getting a short little run in! How did it feel? Were you cleared to start trying a bit of running or was this one of those 'damnit I just need to run' situations?

Oh and on the earthquake front - nothing yet, although I suspect there are people waiting to see if we fall off into the ocean! If you are interested you can check out the US.Gov earthquake site. It shows realtime the quakes and the San Andreas fault line... I have configured it to show all the tiny quakes they are measuring and trending that are causing all the concern. Quake site here

Date.........Miles........Total
    10/01......12.16.......12.16

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle

11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp it must be so frustrating being injured!!

@MNLittleFinn that's an interesting insight. Hadn't thought of that. Is there any issue with being in that anaerobic zone for that longer time frame?

I found that, for me, come race day I crashed at about 10-11 miles in both my half marathons. Running too fast during training, I got a lot faster but couldn't maintain the pace. That said, everyone is different.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Shoot - I checked the earthquake link and it didn't keep my view so it is only showing the earthquakes over 2.5. If you want to see them all you can click on the wheel for settings and customize your view.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@Elise4270 - exciting to see you getting a short little run in! How did it feel? Were you cleared to start trying a bit of running or was this one of those 'damnit I just need to run' situations?

Yes basically I went out on a limb. I'm not cleared to run, I'm supposed to be on crutches. I noted an increase in stability this morning, so I took a chance. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. I think I need a shin gaurd on the inside of my right because my wonky left keep kicking it and trying to get tangled up with it. Or maybe I could just wait a bit longer to do any more running.

It was sloppy. I had a hard time keeping it all moving forward.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm figuring the 5k will be a shake out rum with swag.
    I've heard of a beer run. Not sure about a rum run.