October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    First time joining. I don't have an abundance of time for running as I also cycle! My goal will be small right now as I am just working on increasing distance. I will go for 70km!!!

url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQZWiyR/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui love the header! I have a border collie that heards my cats around. Poor thing just need a heard of any sort. His daughter is half cocker spaniel, she's sweet but her hearding stye is regular dog chasing.

I'll catch up on the mentions and runs. Coffee and church are more pressing matters. I'm so achey. I doubt Ill do anymore running until pt/doc okays it. I still have that irritation in my si joints, I guess that what it is. I'm not sleeping well anymore.

Keep on runnin'.
  • tparascandola
    tparascandola Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 30 miles
    10/1: 1.0 mile walk
    Cumulative Total: 1.0 mile
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So, today I ran my second autumn half marathon and, as planned, I kept to a slow pace to make it more of a training run. I was slower than I thought I would run due to a few stops to deal with shoe issues (guess who's going shopping tomorrow?) and to help up a runner who took a fall but, overall, I was happy with my time. It was my slowest HM ever, but that means that I achieved a new PB - my longest (duration) ever run in one go. That's a PB I think I'll be hitting more and more as I start to think towards marathon training, rather than just focusing on distance.

But anyway, my major gripe of the whole experience - NO MEDAL. I mean, seriously?! Who plans a HM with no medal? Apparently it was not advertised with one so they weren't having any of the multiple complaints, but a lot of people were returning runners like me so never thought to check as we have always had one in the past. I'm glad that wasn't my first HM today, as it was 2 years ago, as no medal would have really upset me. Today, I'm just annoyed that I paid £28 for a race where all I had to show at the end was a 330ml bottle of water. Not even a banana. The goodie bag had nothing but leaflets for local stores and a copy of the local newspaper. So, I won't be running that one again.

Am I right to be annoyed about this? Has anyone else ever run a HM and not got any race bling of some sort? This surely can't be ok, I mean, have the organisers ever MET a runner before?! WE LOVE SHINY THINGS MEDALS

October Running Challenge

2nd - 13.19 miles

MTD - 13.19/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon

Edit - it says on the website that you do get a medal, so WTH?
  • linarex
    linarex Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wow it will be difficult to follow this thread for sure! I ran a couple of years ago and stopped when I got pregnant (for actual medical reasons). Kid is turning 2 tomorrow so...I have no excuses anymore! Plus it is fall and my favorite time to run.

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 - congrats on you HM and longest duration of running! Great for your training. And yes, I would be super annoyed at NO MEDAL. I would certainly expect a medal for a half of any kind. Pretty much anything beyond a 5k or maybe 10k, a medal is in order. And no food?!? That is completely crappy, and bad race management. I would make some complaints known so other runners know to avoid that one too.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Did a long bike ride yesterday morning, but ended up jumping on the treadmill after for my final speedwork session prior to next weekend's Chicago marathon. Did 5 yasso 800s (as I'm tapering) at a 6 pace with 2 minutes of rest between each, and my heart rate by the last was right around the bottom of my threshold range. Planning to get in 8-10 miles later today as my last "long" weekend run before a rest day Monday, then 5 miles tue/wed, rest thu/fri, and a quick pace calibration run Saturday.

Still figuring out how much to cut back on my biking/swimming this week (given Ironman Florida in 5 weeks), but I will want to make sure my legs are at 100% and ready to go on Sunday.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)

Total: 5 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 135 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Got my first run in for the month. I set a goal of 50 miles, 10 more than last month and will get back to training for my 10K which I kind of missed a bit of while in CO and getting hubby through his surgery last week. I'm really looking forward to some cooler weather and nice runs.

10/01 – Rest Day
    10/02 – 3.6 mile horse trail run with dog – AVG HR 143, High 159 on hills

exercise.png

Have a great month everyone!

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Started the month with a rest day due to a sore leg and ankle. Not the surgery one. The other side. Had planned on running four or five miles, but scrapped it. Was feeling a lot better today, so set out for a long run with no particular mileage goal. Managed 10 miles, slowly, which is a 1.7 mile distance PR for post surgery running. And did it in under two hours, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Goal progress:
    Running: 10/100
    Strength training: 0/12
    Food logging: 1/31
    Weight loss: -0.8/10
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ It is in January. I was actually signed up to run it this past January but dropped down to the half so I signed up at the expo for this coming January.
  • crayolasketcher
    crayolasketcher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Never really run so starting off small.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Date.......Distance.......Type........How my legs are feeling

October 1 - 5.9 km - Easy - Niggle in left IT band
    October 2 - 11.9km - Easy - Calfs a little tight, fine after warm-up

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I planned to do 10 miles today, but forgot my water, had the sniffles, and a naggy hamstring. Decided one mile in to just take it easy and do 6.

1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Congrats on the time-spent-running PR! :)
    But anyway, my major gripe of the whole experience - NO MEDAL. I mean, seriously?! Who plans a HM with no medal? Apparently it was not advertised with one so they weren't having any of the multiple complaints, but a lot of people were returning runners like me so never thought to check as we have always had one in the past. I'm glad that wasn't my first HM today, as it was 2 years ago, as no medal would have really upset me. Today, I'm just annoyed that I paid £28 for a race where all I had to show at the end was a 330ml bottle of water. Not even a banana. The goodie bag had nothing but leaflets for local stores and a copy of the local newspaper. So, I won't be running that one again.

Am I right to be annoyed about this? Has anyone else ever run a HM and not got any race bling of some sort? This surely can't be ok, I mean, have the organisers ever MET a runner before?! WE LOVE SHINY THINGS MEDALS
    I totally understand that you are annoyed! The first time that happened to me I was really upset (cause the shiny medal is 90% of the reason of signing up for a race, right?). Now I'm starting to get used to it - I've done 7 races in Switzerland since moving into this area, and ONLY ONE of them had a medal in the end (and that one was a huge event with a fee so high I don't even want to think about it, so anything short of getting a shirt + medal in the end would have been insane). Around here, medals seem to be reserved for the age group winners, everyone else gets a "souvenir price" instead. I've got a shoe light and a towel respectively at two ~5k races, a shirt / a Buff headband/ a water bottle at the three 10ks I did, and another shirt at my last HM. No medal for any of those races, so I've started collecting the bibs instead. But all races had plenty of food and drink in the end. Getting nothing but a bottle of water and a newspaper is a huge disappointment.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    October Running Totals (miles)
    10/1 – rest day
    10/2 – 0.56 test run

October total to date – 0.56

Nominal Challenge Goal – no stated distance
    Real Goal: Return to regular running

Today's notes – I jogged up and down the hallway this morning while my eggs cooked, and the resulting ache was more in the ankle than the achilles tendon. It also faded more quickly than it had. This somewhat positive development convinced me to test an easy 2 mile run today. Sure, it would ache; but maybe it wouldn't ache that much and I could live with the recovery.

I planned to run up south on my street to the major cross street, back north the the lesser cross street, and back to my house for about 2 miles total. I would never be further than 0.7 mile from home, so I could bail at any time. Set out after church, just before lunch. At first it was just as expected. The ache started in the shin, then faded. It landed on the outside of the upper left ankle, but was livable. Then it got worse. I probably was stubborn for about 100 meters beyond where I should have admitted that today is not the day to run an easy 2 miles.

It was a long walk back to my driveway. I ended up stopping several times to let the aching ankle rest. But once I got back home, and could get off my feet, it faded. I'll find out tomorrow whether I've set myself back; if I feel better tomorrow morning than this morning, maybe I'll try for another half mile. If I feel worse tomorrow morning, tomorrow will be a rest day.

So . . . I'm not where I want to be, but I'm in a better place than I was. The trick will be accurately assessing my capability instead of being over-optimistic and trying to do too much. Oh, well. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

The philosophical question is, do I count today as breaking the streak of No Running? Technically, I ran a measurable distance and used the Garmin to measure it; but I was well short of my old beginner's standard of running for 20 minutes. Depending on how I view this, my streak of No Running Days either broke at 13 or stands at 14.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

2017 races:
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Phew, I survived the hardest weekend in my training plan!
    Yesterday was 16km at marathon pace (or what I hope my marathon pace might be...), this afternoon 30km long run. My legs were still tired from the tempo run yesterday evening, but that feeling went away after the first few kms.
    I was enjoying the lovely autumn weather, until I started feeling hungry. And not for sweet carb stuff, I sipped about 250ml of homemade "gel" (50/50 mix of honey and lemon juice), but at that point, I wanted REAL FOOD - something hot that required chewing. I realised then that I had forgotten to eat lunch. I probably spent the next 3kms thinking about nothing except what I would eat once I got home - I'd bought all the ingredients for chicken wraps, but slicing stuff and frying stuff and whatnot before getting something to eat suddenly seemed like too much work after all that running. I have to admit, my solution was to change my route so that I found myself at the front door of a McD exactly after finishing my planned 30km. Got some takeaway cheeseburgers, stuffed them into my hydration backpack, and jogged the last ~2km home. I have to say, physically the hardest part of the run were probably the first few hundred metres after the 5min stop at McDonalds! It's like my poor legs thought the running for the weekend was finally over, and when I started running again, every single muscle screamed it's complaints. Maybe next time I should jog in place while I wait for my order :p
    Haha! You're not the first to stop at McDonald's out on a run (race)!