October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Virkati I was just reading this the other day on the Rock n Roll website: runrocknroll.com/running-gps-vs-certified-courses/
    I have one friend who also raced the Denver half and her Garmin registered the course as 13.4.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Great job Sleuthing @Elise4270

Thanks... I think it's time for a GPS watch @Virkati :smiley: although, they're not always perfect either.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @kristinegift You look awesome and strong. Way to go! And that's a good reminder about hydrating the day before. Thanks!

@Elise4270 and @shanaber I work in publishing, but I am still a total data geek. I probably should have gone into something in the maths or sciences.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Assuming that you BQ at Philly, remember those 4 miles of almost continual uphill. They were training you for the hills of Newton.
  • Elise4270
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Virkati I was just reading this the other day on the Rock n Roll website: runrocknroll.com/running-gps-vs-certified-courses/
    I have one friend who also raced the Denver half and her Garmin registered the course as 13.4.

Nice share. I ran a RNR 5k that came up short. I wonder if I might consider that the full 5? Hmm. Is sanctioned 5k. Stoked!

@Virkati I checked the USATF for the RNR Denver. It's also sanctioned for the half. I think it's safe to call it 13.x instead if 15.x
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

That would explain my last HM registering just 12.8 on my Garmin. Course was certified and the full was a BQ course, so I highly doubt the half was off my 0.3 miles.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks @ddmom0811 :smile:
    @kristinegift great job with all the uphill !
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just had one of those ah ha! moments. Part of the reason my HR has been higher than I wanted my last couple runs could be because I have my biggest climb in mile 2, it raises my HR to z3 and I don't really get my HR down after that, it seems to set the tone for the run.

At least I'm keeping the average in z2.....I'm such a data junkie.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @kristinegift - Assuming that you BQ at Philly, remember those 4 miles of almost continual uphill. They were training you for the hills of Newton.

@MobyCarp That is so, so true!

And thanks @MNLittleFinn and @RunRachelleRun and @skippygirlsmom for the kind words and "good jobs" :)
  • Elise4270
    Options

1---3.17 walk/run ish
    2---2.7 walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT
    4---4.7 walk
    5---rest
    6---4.04 walk
    7---0.6 walk
    8---rest
    9---state fair walk, 1+ miles
    10---3.36
    11---pt appointment
    12---sore/rest
    13---35 minutes bike trainer/2.45 TM walk/few weights
    14---4.4 walk
    15---4.8 walk
    16---2 poké walk

33.22/50+ walking miles goal
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

October goal...run to earn wine and ice cream

10/1: core/strength training, 2 mile run and 20 minutes of fancy footwork trying to herd the neighbor's stray cow out of our yard
    10/2 rest
    10/3 slug...never got out of my nightgown and played computer games (it was FABULOUS!)
    10/4 4.10
    10/5 3.11
    10/6 core/strength training
    10/7 rest
    10/8 3.25
    10/9 6.48
    10/10 3.18
    10/11 Snorkel 3 hours
    10/12 4.28
    10/13 core/strength and 2.41
    10/14 rest
    10/15 4.50
    10/16 core/strength and 2.07

Total 35.38

so many comments I noted, but I'm too lazy to go back and quote.....off the top of my head:
    @mobycarp keep on keeping on...
    @skippygirlsmom 28 miles is better than dns....
    @kristinegift 4miles of uphill AND a bug is the eye is just not fair...
    @Elise4270 glad to see longer walks and less pain!

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Thanks @Naija82 . Sorry to read about your knee. Hope it's nothing serious.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It seems to always be an update behind. I ran 8km this morning so I am now at 30 km with 40 to go

Another 5.5 this morning for a total of 35.5 with 34.5 to go!!

I ran 5.5 on Thursday and another 8 yesterday! Total of 49 with 21 to go!!
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    October running

exercise.png

10/01: day off
    10/02: 3.5
    10/03: 3.5
    10/04: day off
    10/05: 3.5
    10/06: 3.5
    10/07: day off
    10/08: 3.5
    10/09: day off (major rain)
    10/10: 3.5
    10/11: day off
    10/12: 3.5
    10/13: 3.5
    10/14: day off
    10/15: 3.5
    10/16: 3.5

Total: 35/60
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I Love your description of your Mountain Run and the internal argument / justification. Great Pics.

@kristinegift looking at your photo one item I noticed right away is that even though you felt like you were struggling - Your form was still exquisite. I mean look at how flat your foot is just barely before/after landing, a sure sign of keeping it together. The Funny Face just for the camera :D
    You would have beat me by at least 18-20 minutes.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    My first bad run in ages, but I should have known better than to even try. I felt sick before I went, but went anyway only to feel dizzy at mile 2. I walked for a bit, then threw up in a bush and had to head home. Might try and make the miles up tomorrow if I feel up to it (only headed out for 7 miles anyway), but we'll see. Feeling very, very weak now, ugh.

Poor @louubelle16 ! Hope you're better quickly.
    Yesterday's second run and this morning's run were both pretty rough. My muscles and joints all feel ok. It is the breathing. I remember now why I used to run mostly on the treadmill. The humidity here is tough. And, it is actually not that bad at this time of year. I don't know what I am going to do come next summer. I think it might not be too bad if I didn't have allergies on top of it. I can't really breathe through my nose at all when I run because the airway just isn't clear enough to get enough oxygen. When it gets bad, I can feel the heaviness in my chest and am even coughing a bit by the time I am finished. I already take Zyrtec daily for allergies but it isn't helping much. I'm a singer, so I am familiar with breathing exercises and control but it doesn't help much when there isn't enough air getting in to begin with. Any other suggestions for dealing with this problem? Nasal sprays? I feel like I could run more if I could just get enough breath.

@lissadecker Sorry to hear about your allergies combined with the humidity!

I've been getting what I think is hayfever the past week, with it being Spring here down under. But I realised that apart from needing to blow my nose more while running, I always breathe through my mouth.

Do other people breathe through their nose or their mouth while running?

• tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    3 miles this morning!!!

22 for the month.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

10/1....12 miles.
    10/4....3 miles.
    10/7....1.62 miles treadmill. Total..16.62 miles
    10/8....13.1 (Indianapolis Half Marathon....average pace 11:58
    10/9...Colts game...beer and a large pretzel....mistake...lots of swelling in left ankle.
    10/10...work
    10/11...6 miles run, mixing up fast sprints, easy run, fartleks...felt good but unable to muster a fast pace or increase heart rate much above 90% max heart rate. The half marathon took a lot out of me.
    10/16...8 miles at very, very slow pace...averaged 73% max heart rate.

Working on building my running base...the run today took forever (1:52), and never felt that I relaxed at any juncture...the weather was a cool 69 degrees, rather humid after a rain. I had worked the last 2 nights, so imagine that fatigue was a factor. I think that the soreness/ache which is now gone was an after-affect from running the half marathon. In that race, I really pushed myself in the final 2 miles and think that I over-strained some muscles. I am still reading Fitzgerald's 80/20 at work on my break.

Last Wednesday, I met with my physician to review my lipid lab results, and received the best news...total cholesterol at 190, Ldl at 96, Hdl at 83, triglycerides at 54. 3 years ago my cholesterol was 290, and Hdl was 38. I have to believe that working on my diet and fitness really made a significant difference in this result.

Total...43.72
    Goal...75 miles.

5/6/17....Indianapolis Mini-marathon

• kristinegift
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@kristinegift looking at your photo one item I noticed right away is that even though you felt like you were struggling - Your form was still exquisite. I mean look at how flat your foot is just barely before/after landing, a sure sign of keeping it together. The Funny Face just for the camera :D
    You would have beat me by at least 18-20 minutes.

@juliet3455 That is a fair point! Unlike my races 1-2 years ago, my form did stay fairly strong despite being totally wiped. I've also got to give credit to the shoes. The NB shoes I have don't have much of a heel so it's much easier to maintain good form and foot strike, unlike my boxier Saucony shoes.

HonuNui wrote: »

so many comments I noted, but I'm too lazy to go back and quote.....off the top of my head:
    @mobycarp keep on keeping on...
    @skippygirlsmom 28 miles is better than dns....
    @kristinegift 4miles of uphill AND a bug is the eye is just not fair...
    @Elise4270 glad to see longer walks and less pain!

@HonuNui When the bug flew into my eye, I uttered a few expletives for sure! Horrible timing!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/4: 5 miles (am), 10 miles (pm)
    10/5: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.5 miles
    10/7: 9.5 miles
    10/8: 6 miles with a 5k in the middle
    10/9: 4 miles
    10/10: Oh my god finally a rest day
    10/11: 10 miles
    10/12: 6 miles (am), 4.2 miles (pm)
    10/13: 8 miles (am), 6.4 miles with the Thursday crew
    10/14: Rest day
    10/15: 7.3 miles with the Saturday crew
    10/16: 2 miles + 13.1 HM
    10/17: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew

Very sore this morning! Felt okay running, but moving around my house, my quads are a bit stiff and my right hamstring is a little tender. Really glad I booked a massage for today at my massage LAST month. I figured that I would need it and indeed I do! I cannot wait to get these tight spots worked out. But for the first time, all my soreness is above my knee, so my calves are feeling good! :)

I've got another couple peak weeks this week and next, but because I went hard Sunday I'll be doing all my runs easy this week until this weekend. I've got 20-22 on Saturday and 8-10 hard, fatigued miles Sunday on the docket.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM