Only one in the house eating healthy

Options
My partner didn't think I would stick with this but here I am down 28lbs! She has always has been able to eat whatever she wants & not gain but it snuck up on both of us. While I'm being very serious on eating healthy & exercising she is just buying bigger clothes.
What do I do?? I drink my water & keep on walking... Because I'm finally smaller than her for once! wzf82c4vqe15.jpeg

Replies

• kimberly2402
    kimberly2402 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I'm hoping that this app will help me with the motivation & push I need sometimes.
  • jess427
    jess427 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Kimberly I am only one in the house seeing the need for change also. Congrats on your 28lb loss so far I'm at almost 8 lbs but it gets hard having things in the house that I really crave and want like cookies, chips n stuff but my husband says well you can't punish us all by getting rid of it. And he constantly offers me ice cream and other thi ng s because I think he still hasn't taken me seriously yet about me really being on board with staying with it
  • kimberly2402
    Options
    Jess, congrats on the 8lbs! I remember my 8lbs mark I was like I'm past 5lbs so I'm serious about this. Ice cream was always my down fall because every night they all eat their ice cream. What I started doing is sugarfree jello & cool whip or pudding. Kind felt like ha I can eat with y'all also.
    I also found sonic ice was a big help with my water intake. I knew I had to drink all the water to be able to eat the ice.
    Good luck!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 28lbs. Just keep going. Sometimes the other half feels left out or maybe even jealous so be sure to reassure her too.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It has to be her choice to change. We are down to me eating what I know is good for me and her still eating junk food and candy. I do hope and pray she'll see the light some day before she ends up house bound with her health.

It's much better than fighting about it...
  • kimberly2402
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Congrats on the 28lbs. Just keep going. Sometimes the other half feels left out or maybe even jealous so be sure to reassure her too.

I think a little of it is jealousy. I'm trying to include her but she keeps saying I'm watching what I eat. I'm thinking to myself cookies & ice cream is not watching what you eat.
  • jess427
    jess427 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good idea with the cool whip and jello sounds good! & need to try the water w.sonic ice also! Love their Ice and hv trouble drinking anywhere near enough water..
  • bocedos2
    bocedos2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same situation at home so i understand. While both my boyfriend and i are over weight i have finally gotten serious about making the change and while I wish he would also, i know that you need to have the mentality otherwise you will not stick with it. Sometimes it's just hard bc he's like oh let's go out to eat and I have to remind him that I can't be doing that right now because i want to be eating healthy and because im still getting in a routine, going out to eat will only mess it up. I turn to MFP for motivation and support if I need it. Add me if you would like!
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! :) I'm also the only one in the household on a calorie restriction. My SO is one of those lucky people who have never had to worry about weight or dieting...thus far anyway. I am also the only one that cooks so that makes it easier for me to log. He's supportive of me and hasn't brought any fast food or ben & jerry's home since I've started counting calories and going to the gym. I've heard of a new ice cream on the market called Halo Top (and had to try some the to see what all the fuss was about...it was soooo good!!!!) and the whole pint is ~270 calories. It's sweet, creamy, rich & absolutely no watery aftertaste. I promise I don't work for the company (lol)...just trying to spread the joy in being able to have my ice cream and meet my calorie goals too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How does she feel about this thread with her photo etc.? I'm thinking of my own relationship, and how I'd feel....
  • kimberly2402
    Options
    How does she feel about this thread with her photo etc.? I'm thinking of my own relationship, and how I'd feel....

How does she feel? She said herself that she looks over weight in the picture. She has asked that I don't post comments about her being over weight on facebook because she doesn't want to hear her mother comment about her weight. Her own mother is even on her about her weight.
    Personally who else am I to turn to about what's going on? Our personal friends? Sometimes it's nice to be able to get a strangers advice. Can't speak to my gf about it because it just starts a fight
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2016
    Options

How does she feel? She said herself that she looks over weight in the picture. She has asked that I don't post comments about her being over weight on facebook because she doesn't want to hear her mother comment about her weight. Her own mother is even on her about her weight.
    Personally who else am I to turn to about what's going on? Our personal friends? Sometimes it's nice to be able to get a strangers advice. Can't speak to my gf about it because it just starts a fight

That wasn't quite my question. I'm wondering how she feels about you (her loving partner) posting her image on the world wide web and saying she's over weight (and you're thinner), and she's eating wrong, and basically just letting herself go.

Again, thinking of my own relationship, yeah, I'd be pretty unhappy if my spouse posted about my weight on Facebook. But if he posted my photo and discussed his frustration with my weight on here, I'd be equally UNHAPPY with HIM. Thus, my question.

She doesn't mind? Okay.

Well, good luck with your journey. Thanks for the reply.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I think you need to stop seeking anyone and everyones advice and let her decide if and when she wants to lose weight, as frustrating as that might be for you.

Did you have anyone on at you to lose weight? Did it work? I'm guessing no, you came to the decision herself.

I would be so upset and angry if my husband posted pics of me on a public forum to boast how well he was doing whilst I remained fat and ate ice cream Come on, this is NOT how you treat someone you love!!
  • kimberly2402
    Options
    Well I'm glad I didn't come onto your post & just say that's not how you treat someone. Y'all have no clue what goes on in our house. By the looks of it I'm not the only one that wishes their spouse would eat healthier with them.
    Please don't post back on any of my post.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Well I'm glad I didn't come onto your post & just say that's not how you treat someone. Y'all have no clue what goes on in our house. By the looks of it I'm not the only one that wishes their spouse would eat healthier with them.

Best of luck with your journeys.
  • kimberly2402
    Options

Best of luck with your journeys.

This should be a place people feel free to ask & seek advice, along with words of encouragement. Even on the days that our frustrating. Not tell people that's not how you treat your spouse.
  • randibum3
    randibum3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from!! My boyfriend shovels in junk food all day/everyday without gaining a pound. We go grocery shopping and that's all he throws in the cart, so I go shopping separately now. I've lost 20lbs since June but have recently lost my motivation and started eating whatever he's eating again. I still have 50lbs to lose and need to get back on track! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can hold eachother accountable! You can do it!
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are doing everything that you can. Unfortunately we cannot give our motivation to someone else. I remember back to when I was not doing anything for my health and no one could get me up out of the chair. I had to decide for myself that I wanted to do something for myself and I haven't looked back since then and 10 months later I have lost 122 lbs and am almost at my half-way loss goal, only 10 more lbs and I will be half-way.

I have a brother that is very overweight and I am racking my brains to think of a way to "entice" him out of the house to doing something active and healthier but I know from my own experience that until someone wants to get healthier, there is nothing I can say that will motivate my brother. I'm still hopeful that my success will help him to understand that we can do anything we set our minds to and that it is never too late.

I hope your success will motivate your partner. Good luck!