WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Spirited Sisters;

No news to report – just another day. The Puffy Princess keeps rearing her ugly head – but, otherwise, not a thing happening.... but, No News is usually Good News for me.

I am trying to focus on getting in some more protein... my best successes in the past have been when I ate Low Carb – and while I am not willing to go whole hog on the very low carb thing, I am willing to increase my protein intake – which by nature means I eat less carbs. So, tonight, that means some cottage cheese with my leftover beans – to push my protein over 100 grams for the day.

I was researching Strong Lifts, yesterday, because I really want to get into some lifting on an organized basis... and everybody raves about it. However – the whole concept is based on doing squats... and alas, I can’t do a single squat with NO weights, much less with a barbell (yes, I tried doing one, last night and my knee screamed at me). Deadlifts are likewise out, as the knees have to bend too deeply to be able to reach the bar on the ground. The guy who created the program swears it’s all good – but, obviously, he doesn’t have any arthritis or existing knee damage. So two, and possibly three, of the strong lift exercises are OUT for me – at least until I get my knee replaced. Bummer. I may still try the ones that I can do – because, hey, every little bit helps. I will just have to work on strengthening my legs in some other way. The elliptical is fine – and the kettlebell is fine – because I never have to drop into that 90 degree or more angle range with my knee – so, I will just have to be a bit more disciplined on the kettlebell, I guess. I am already doing the elliptical every day.

I am seriously toying with the idea of working with a trainer at my gym – maybe even just 1 day a week – to start. I guess I could specifically ask for some leg work that doesn’t beat up my knee too badly. We shall see. My time is pretty limited – and although I am not opposed to alternating strength training with cardio – I am a bit spoiled by not having to worry about being PRECISE with my CI number – since my CO number always includes at least 400 calories of exercise. I hate to have to be disciplined enough to keep it under the actual CI number with no exercise buffer... LOL. Oh well, if that’s the price for getting that hard-body I want, I suppose I will have to just suck it up and get some discipline. Inching toward it in my mind... and sometimes, I have to inch for a while before I take action.

Cheri
    – So glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with your Daughter. You and Karen look FAB in that photo – and yes, the pumpkins were timely. I am jealous of your Kitty loving time – I miss having a cat of my own – but, there is too much on my plate for another responsibility, right now, even a loving furry one. Can’t wait to hear your report on The Boyfriend. :D

Janet – Tampa looks wonderful... glad you are having a good time.

Heidi – Your towel picture always makes me think back to when a 60 inch beach towel didn’t wrap all the way around my hips and belly... thankfully, a very long time ago. Now, one of my goals is to have a standard bath towel wrap all the way around. Got about 7 inches to go...

Joyce – Hurray for a lick of sense in that man of yours! Having someone who knows what they are doing make the bathroom work is probably a good idea. It’s trickier than it looks to seat those things just right on the wax rings... and Carpet? Really? Who EVER thought that was a good idea? Apparently, the folks who decorated MY house before I bought it. Ripping up the carpet in the master bath is still on my to do list... you are inspiring me to work on that room.

Betty – I have been going back through old photos too... if I could have the “horridly fat” body I had at 18 back, I would take it in a heartbeat. It was all uphill from there... Oh well, we live and learn – if we are lucky. Hope you get your Mojo back and get excited about going to the Y. But, so long as you don’t go in the wrong direction – it’s all good.

Pip – Getting in some last minute training for the big run, I see... Good luck!

Barbie – Dangit! Recovery means chores? How rude! Surely Jake can keep one or two of them, right? I do hope Brandy heals up, soon.

Lenora – On the subject of breaking your hand – or otherwise damaging yourself having a fit... my DH got very angry once – and threw the coffee cup he was holding on the ground – he threw a heavy ceramic mug, with force, toward the ground – and popped his own toe like a grape. Several hours in the emergency room does tend to cool one’s temper. I still laugh – because darned if he didn’t get what he deserved – he was behaving like a four year old. The happy ending to the story is that, once he was diagnosed and medicated for his Type II Diabetes, those hideous mood swings disappeared – thank goodness! The guys in the ER told him to get his butt to his GP to be tested – so he really did get what he deserved... treatment! He was back to the man I married, after that.

Liz – Heal up, Sugar! I am sure that the labs will show good news... Cancer is so much more treatable than it used to be. ((Hugs!!))

Mary
    – Sorry, Hon. I hope that your shoulder is better, soon!

Gloria
    – Good luck on the job front... and yes, Call CPS – get that boy some help. If he is truly being abused, he needs to be taken out of that environment – and alas, you simply can’t adopt them all! Sounds like that family needs whatever services the state can provide for them. And the police took the boy HOME? With allegations of abuse on the table? That is so wrong... yes, call CPS for sure.

Allison
    – Sorry you are feeling poorly. Take your vitamins and rest up.... as much as your life will allow, anyway.

NYKaren
    – Control is very important... to know that you are driving this train makes ALL the difference – once I figured that bit out, it got a lot easier... and of course, there is no one else to blame when you get wild on the fried foods... *whistling innocently* Stay Strong, Sister!

Rita
    – My DH always accuses ME of thinking I know more than the doctors... lol... You have to watch those little demi-gods, or they will have you taking meds you don’t need – which causes side effects – which makes them prescribe more meds! But, I might listen to them, if I had hives... LOL. Gratz on the better breakfast day – and keep on walking! Great work on getting those steps! I never quite seem to get past 6k... *sighs*

KJ – I am also a fan of soup – particularly beef stew in the crockpot. Great tip!

Lily
    – all that outside work is great calorie burn! Hope you get a little breathing room, soon. (Hugs!)

Sooz58
    – Welcome~! Creeping pounds... EEK! I am so afraid of that – but that isn’t stopping me from getting rid of all my 4x clothes... I am so not going back there, ever. If I have to log my food for the next 40 years – well, that is what I will do.

Carol – Howdy, Sugar!

Heather – Good Luck with the intervention! I have given away a very few items of clothing that my Sweet, Hoarder Husband is not aware of... since they were on the floor in his closet for the last 5 years, I hardly think he will miss them! Love the bake-off shows... the things they do with icing and marzipan!

Marcelyn – Hurray for rehab! And yes, I will just say “no” to torn tendons... I can’t afford to be laid up... I have a hard time with food discipline, it’s only exercise that keeps me losing!

Katla – Congrats on that Adorable Grandbaby! Poor little tyke – all bruised from the IV...

Toni
    – I recall nearly running through the airport once, and JUST making the connection... Yep, that counts as cardio, for sure.

Suzanne
    – Wowza – 7 children! You have certainly done your bit for motherhood! Workout partners... don’t get too bogged down with that. They can either help, or hinder. If you find someone who is highly motivated – that’s great – but try not to be too dependent – and don’t let someone else be your excuse not to exercise... I am fortunate to have my DH be my partner – but, if he flakes on me, I force myself to go to the gym without him. I have also recently been reading that working out in the cold actually helps with fat loss – something about your body having to produce heat – so maybe, just maybe, you might want to do a little walk now and then, in the cold.

KarenE
    - *waves*

Sherry
    – Losing a large amount at the beginning is to be expected... and if you are eating wholesome healthy food, your body will take what it needs. Seated exercises definitely have their merits – hope you find some good ones. And yes – ANYTHING is better than nothing... Remember, you do a bit more today – you have a better chance to do just a bit more, tomorrow. A slow build is fine – injuries are bad. There is no rush – this is a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself and take it easy... The only “magic bullet” is keeping your mind in the right place... your body will follow in its own time. Oh – and breakfast, Shmeckfast... listen to your body... Learn to eat when you are truly hungry – and stop after a sensible amount of food – and it will all be golden. I haven’t eaten breakfast in years – except at dinnertime!

Becca – Hope you get to see your boys, soon. And enjoy your furniture victories to the fullest. Feel better, soon! (Hugs!)

Well, I have reached the end of another broadcasting day... the test pattern will appear in a moment. Goodnight, Ladies!

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Sherry, welcome. Thanks for the introduction as that helps us begin to get to know you. This is definitely the place for support and information. Come here daily and let us know what is going on with you. Log your food honestly as it is there for your use. Congrats on your start to this journey and just never give up. This is for life. I began here as a Type II diabetic that took metformin twice a day. I have been off of it for over a year now as well as two or three other meds that I took daily. It is amazing how excess weight can affect our health. You can do this.

Lisa, I sure hope the day goes smoother than you expect. We know you will get the paper out somehow.

Allie, is there any chance to have Ray’s memorial at the home where Ruth lives? I don’t know if they have a meeting room or something but that would take care of getting her there.

Rita, I feel for your DH. I suffered from hives for a couple of months going from one doctor to another. I had an allergy doc say, “I don’t see any hives”. From there I went to a dermatologist that too one look at my arms and said, “oh yes, they have gone under the skin”. She said if I did exactly what she told me, I could get rid of them. I’d have done about anything at that point!!! She put me on an antihistamine, an anti-itch pill and told me to rub down with Vaseline after each shower. She said, not Vaseline Intensive Care lotion, or anything else, …..Vaseline. I still do that to this day. itching.gif

Heidi, thanks for the info on yourself. I have to tell you that I love the picture and I already don’t like you because you are way too young looking and too da^n pretty. Other than that, you could be my best friend. I went through similar things when I was going through menopause. I got to where I’d cry if someone looked at me and I wasn’t sad or unhappy. Just ah, er, am what shall I say…..over emotional! My sweet doctor put me on a mild anti-depressant and life changed for the better, immediately. All I can say is talk to your doctor and let them know everything that is going on. And good luck!!! Do know that once it’s over, life is pretty great!

waving-smiley-emoticon.gif to Cheri and KarenVA. So nice you chicks got together. We all want to join you.

Sherry, so sorry to hear about all your back problems. I feel your pain. I had a spinal fusion about 12 years ago after trying everything else in the world first. The shots never helped me either and some people get great relief from them. I’ll keep you in my thoughts.

Liz, so glad the surgery went well and you are home. I’m wishing you great lab results and a speedy recovery!!!

Mary, so sorry to hear of your injury. Please take care and I hope it heals soon.

Lillian, good to see you again. Slow down and enjoy life, my friend. Or stay busy if that’s what you enjoy. Just remember “It don’t git no better than this”. 

Heather, glad you had a good meet up with your friend. I’m sure you will have fun next week in London.

Marcelyn, I’m so happy that you are healing so well. I just know you will be able to do the marathon. Keep up the great work.

Gloria, that is so sad about the child. Unfortunately these days kids know how to get back at their parents if they get mad at them so I’m sure there are many accusations that aren’t true. I know I’d definitely notify the authorities and let them sort it out. You sure don’t want to send him back to the house if it is true. (Later) I see you are calling protective services. Good for you. Let us know what happens.

Toni, have a good visit with your sister. Glad you made your flight!

Sherry, good work on the weight loss. Keep it up.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We took my car in yesterday morning to get the second window motor replaced. All of a sudden they didn’t want to roll up and down correctly. Or especially, not back up. They got it done quickly and we picked it up by noon so now I’m back in business with my own wheels. Woopee. Today I made brownies for DH from a mix that he bought on sale. I had to taste it to make sure it was okay and OMG was it good. I’ll try to resist having another bite.

Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Katla Congratulations!
  • suzanne63
    suzanne63 Posts: 616 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank You for welcoming me.You all seem so nice.I feel at home already.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Re, I started strength training with the help of a book called "Strong Women Stay Young"....I think the program in the book includes exercises that will strengthen leg muscles without creating a problem for your knees....interestingly, since my spine surgery, the only strength training thing I can do is squats (with no weights, of course).

blow.gif DJ, I love your thoughtful responses to everyone and I love to borrow your cute emoticons.

<3 Barbie
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Karen and Cheri: Love the photo. Looks like you are having fun. Color me jealous.

Liz: Sending you healing thoughts.

Katla: Beautiful baby boy! I can almost feel a smidgen of maternal instinct coming up....

I've just gotten back from 2 days in Indianapolis. Feel horrible because although the calorie amounts consumed weren't bad, the food choices were high on the salty carb spectrum. Fortunately, I continue to abstain from alcoholic beverages, which is a good thing because there was a microbrewery holding an Octoberbest on every corner of downtown Indy. Making matters worse, I've missed doing my usual workout due to a flare up of Morton's neuroma in my left foot. Feeling altogether blah. 'Nuf whining already. Heading to bed early and will get back on routine tomorrow.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.56min, 12.6amph, 153mhr, 2.9mi= 145c
    SPIN- 48min, 82r, 95w, 11-14g, 154mhr, 19.4mi = 371c
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.14min, 10.2amph, 143amhr, 1.4mi = 88c
    ride dome 2 hm- 21.17min, 6.9amph, 146mhr, 2.5mi = 206c
    total cal 810
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Re, Barbie got me started with "Strong Women Stay Young". You definitely can do a lot without doing squats. I had both knees replaced, I know I would not have been able to do them either before replacements. I have not transitioned to heavy weights and don't plan to. I'm pleased with what I'm doing.

<3

Janetr okc
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    @Katla congrats on the new grandson
    @Glo sorry you are in this situation but you are doing the right thing.
    @Barbie-- I hope Brandy is okay.

Today went ok. Contact the nurse at the Doctor's office about the pain medicine. I was having problems with a side effect of them. So I have been alternating between Advil and Tylenol. Seems to be working. I may take a pain pill before bed.

Mostly shuffling around the house today but did get outside for a errand. Riding in the car sort of hard but it was really nice to get outside. My diet plan the keto was hard today. But managed. I really am trying to stick to organic in veggies and protein but today I wanted carbs didn't but did. Budget tight till Friday. I may half to dive into the regular food. But I can manage . Had a lot of phone calls. It was a really normal day except being 2 day after surgery. I am encouraged by it.

Have a good night!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    blow.gif

I will borrow from Janet too!!

Night night everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congratulations. I am very happy with my new grandson. He's a charm boy. His mom is doing okay and he is surrounded by love from parents and grandparents. I only wish he didn't live so far from me. I won't get to see him often enough. :heart: :broken_heart::heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Katla temporarily in Illinois

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Katla that baby is too cute for words - did I miss what they named him? Were you able to have another conversation with your daughter about her saying you should move there? Heather was most likely right that some of that was probably the late stage of pregnancy where all you want is the bowling ball out of your stomach!

Thanks everyone for your support today. I read a lot on the internet today about kids running away and how to handle it. Was definitely a wake up call for me because that could be my DGSs one day if I don't get things turned around. DGS#1 has a heart as big as his mouth . . . he cried today over this whole situation. He finally got to talk to his friend tonight and things are ok between them. He actually asked me if we could go to church tonight so he could get the prayer people to say a prayer for his friend. Love that boy so much even if sometimes I just want to wring his neck!

Nite all

Gloria in WA sad-rain-cloud-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hi, all,

Glo - I think you (and your grandson) handled the situation in the best possible way--and your grandson's amazing heart does him credit--as does yours. Unfortunately, the boy has probably been told that CPS is the enemy, especially if he lives in an abusive househould. I sincerely hope it works out for the best for all concerned. I, too, grew up in an abusive home. It is as close to hell on earth as I've experienced. My hopes for a good outcome.

Liz - glad you're up and around!

Marcelyn - sounds like you're progressing well in the doc's estimate. We never heal up and get back to normal as fast as we want to, do we.

Katla - beautiful boy. Here's a link to John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," one of my favorites. Such a gift, glad all are OK.

My son is meeting his now-three-year-old daughter for the first time this week. I've seen a short video of her, typical little girl, princess-focused, etc. We haven't met her, of course--it was a contentious beginning of her so-far short life, from a one-night stand, paternity suit, the whole bit. Johnny and the baby's mother have slowly gotten to know each other over the Internet, learned to get along, and he hopes to relocate closer to them when he gets out of the Air Force, so he can be in little Ellie's life. I hope the visit goes very well.

Considering my pre-press day dread, it actually turned out to be one of the smoother papers we've ever put out. The guys who were supposed to come replace the carpet ended up scheduling into the afternoon sometime--but I dropped back by about 3 p.m. to grab the cellphone I left behind, and they hadn't shown yet. Not sure if they ever did. I worked from 3:15 a.m. to 2 p.m., and we actually had the last page out nearly 45 minutes before our 2 p.m. deadline. Lord only knows how it will look this morning if they got there and moved furniture out of the way last night... but no worries, they can work from now through the weekend and not put me behind. They just need to be done by Monday morning. :) I've already put in 33 hours, so will only work four hours today, six on Friday, and two this weekend to write. Trying to keep my hours under 50 as practice for December 1, when we all go hourly.

Off to scare up my second cup of coffee... and get some work done here in the warehouse before I shower and head in to work about 7:30. Happy Thursday, my chickens...

Regards from West Texas, where we're not supposed to see a drop of rain for the foreseeable future...
    Lisa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Katla - May I add my name to the chorus of congratulations. <3 He is adorable! Names soon please! :D

Gloria - Good to know your DGS's heart is in the right place, even if he is the usual p in the a. :flowerforyou:

I've just booked an exhibition for our meet up in London next week. Unfortunately I initially booked the wrong day on line and the tickets are non refundable and non exchangeable. :s So I booked it again. :* Luckily, one of us is already a member, so I didn't have to pay for her. Then I booked us in for lunch at the Rex Whistler restaurant in the Tate Britain building. The food is average, but the mural is extraordinary and I love that venue. I have written about it before on here. Can be Googled. We will have to eat sparingly as we are going out that evening, but the portions are small anyway. B):D

My cleaner comes today. I'm paying her for an extra hour so we can get going together on some moving stuff, like cleaning the oven and clearing cupboards. Also, I have some old friends staying over next week, the night before I go to London, so the annexe needs refreshing. They are flying back from Australia that day and being picked up by my ex, where they have parked their car and then are driving down to us!!!! Don't know what sort of state they will be in! It's nice that we are still in touch because the man was my ex's old school friend. :D<3 I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to make them to eat. He is a carnivore and she only eats chicken. Plus they will be jetlagged. :*

Got to make a haircut appointment and dye my roots before London. Want to look my best. >:)

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am dragging..feel worse than I have been.. supposed to have yucky weather today,,, Tom leaves in the a.m. and dropping Homer at the vet for an Ultrasound today.. slept 10 1/2 hrs last night(thank you nyquil)
    Tom put one load of laundry in wash I am on the second ,I dont like just sitting around ,but my body is telling me different
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Katla!!!
    Well to paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel, hello elliptical my old friend I've come to walk with you again...Not nearly as much fun as fresh air exercise but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do... just walking will not budge my blood numbers it seems.
    Hope everyone has a lovely day!
    Betty
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy Thursday! So busy yesterday, I wasn't able to come back and post properly!
    Katla- He is beautiful! Look at those long fingers! o:)
    Gloria- I think both you and your DGS did the right thing. It says volumes about you that this young man felt comfortable enough to come to your home for help. My mother was the same way. We had a constant stream of friends staying with us when things were bad at home. CPS will investigate everything thoroughly. It is their job to believe the child until/unless evidence proves otherwise. <3
    Lisa- glad to hear press day went smoother than planned. Always hard to deal with the stuff that happens to interrupt our day!
    Liz-sounds like you are doing well, post surgery! Sending good thoughts for continued progress!
    Marcelyn- LOL! Be careful girlfriend! You sound like you are ready to go-go-go! Take your time and heal.
    DJ- Your car windows remind me of the time I was going through a car wash, and just before the car entered the wash area, I rolled my window down to turn in my rear view mirror, when I went to roll my window up...it wouldn't go up! I went through the car wash with my body blocking the window so the water wouldn't get in the car. They use really cold water, by the way. My whole back was soaked and soapy. LOL! Live and learn.
    Rita-You are doing great! It is great to see you posting and getting your steps in!
    Re- You are doing so well! Puffy Princess, be damned! I had my annual physical last week and my weight is up to 230. Ugh! Opposite direction of where I want to go. Pushing on. More energy, feeling better ready to start eating right and losing again. Mental NSV: I am wearing jeans today! They are size 16, and tight, but I am out of yoga pants! That is a big mental step for me.
    Sherry-When I started my whole foods/high protein meal plan last fall, I lost four pounds my first week. For about six weeks I would lose four pounds one week, one pound the next, four pounds, one pound...You may also want to take your measurements and track that way. I found that on the weeks when I didn't lose weight, I would lose in inches. And YES! Any movement is good!
    Barbie- hope your furbaby is doing better!
    Pip- Hey! (just cuz.)
    Heather- I eat at a few places that have average food, just because I like the ambiance or the view. Makes me feel like I am on vacation in my own town. B) It also feels good to not have to cook.
    Karen and Cheri- HELLO!! You are beautiful! I am so glad to see two more friends from 50+ able to meet up IRL!!!

Love and hugs to all who need them! Remember: ONe step forward and two steps back isn't a stall or a plateau, it's a cha-cha! Just keep dancing!! <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Allie- I think your body is telling you to rest. Be good to yourself and lay low if you're able.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    DJ~ right now Ruth and Rays house is a mess.. Ruth was a pack rat and the house I think will be going into forclosure so I dont know how things will go, talked with Rays nephew and he said he would be able to get a wheelchair accessible van, for Ruth.. there is a place Ray used to love to go Captain Parkers right on the Bass river so we could go there afterwards..
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Woke up to freezing rain this morning. So dreary. My daughter is getting married on Saturday, so today is the day I need to run and get the gowns, check in at the hall, etc. Yuk. I hate the rain.

mb