WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

0olhpa3t20pc.jpg

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. We read and post regularly to support and encourage each other along the journey to health, weight loss, and fitness.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for September?
What goals and resolutions have you planned for October?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington

Resolutions for September (with end of the month comments)
*continue meditating daily increasing time by 5 seconds every few days (this has been my greatest accomplishment--now meditating 15 minutes every morning and feel that the meditation has increased my ability to be peaceful about my surgery and long recovery)
*sort and discard papers from the next box of old treasures (did some, but not much)
*do stretching and exercises for 10 minutes three days a week with Jake while he does exercises from physical therapy (we both failed miserably)
*play bocce with Jake four times ( he decided that he hadn't recovered enough from his surgery to play bocce so after playing once in August, we haven't played again)

Resolutions for October
*follow the directions of the medical professionals for recovery from surgery
*make daily use of my word for 2016-- "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
*knit three blankets for Project Linus

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    sleepy-goodnight-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Gloria - Sooooooo happy to see you! <3 Is that a stunningly smart new haircut I see in your profile pic? :D

Janetr - Winging you healing thoughts. :#:#:#<3

Thoughts are turning to packing instead of moving. Weather forecast is hot sun in the daytime and cooler at night. Not too hard, but I hope it's not too hot in Granada. I'm not good in the heat. Spanish heat is better than English heat though, as it's dry.
    We have only paid the airline for one suitcase between us, so I will have to be disciplined.
    I am really looking forward to speaking Spanish. I have worked hard at brushing it up. I used to be good, but got very rusty. Now I hope it is shining. :D

I cooked and froze a MOUND of chickpeas last night - about 10 tins worth. I'm so glad I rediscovered my pressure cooker. :D Having a curry tonight using some of them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    Good Morning Ladies~
    slept 11 1/2 hrs :o . im up and dressed, but darn it the only thing I forgot to bring up was my tea.. and I always have a cup or 2 in the morning.. maybe I will have Tom drop some off to me..and the rest of the opened 1/2 and 1/2 as I am stuck here until tomorrow afternoon and, I dare not stray to far, when they first got back from Up north the first 2 mornings Faith fell. and geesh I don't want that happening on my watch..
    Barbie~ once again thank you thank you for keeping us together.. and so glad you are home, I am sure Brandy and Sasha and Bernie the cat were just thrilled to see you..
    Heather looked up where you told us to in Hove.. that looked look like very small apartment and not much room.. I hope you find just what your looking for
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,067 Member
    <3
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    B)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Yeah for Barbie!. Keeping us going and getting home from the hospital in one fell swoop. Amazing.

Heather happy travels, may the Spanish trip off your tongue. You are ready for any adventure

Glo I love the sound of the tuba. Funny and strong all at the same time. Hope the Internet hookup works well for you all

Feel like I should weigh more than the scale says, but no the number is right where I want it to be, weird but I'll take it.

Resolutions for October:

1. Focus on home cooking and little food waste
    2. No retail shopping unless for groceries and necessary purchases. In other words don't shop for entertainment or when feeling down.
    3. Focus on the positives of my work and get through Tuesday work with alacrity
    4. Back to the gym if DH isn't available to walk with me

And as always log every bite, move every day, lather rinse repeat!!
    NYKAREN
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    KJ wrote - Janet- could the rash be a reaction to a medicine you are on? Didn't the rash begin shortly after you started on the steroid?

No, they put me on the steroids to clear up the rash. Which it did, it just keeps coming back as soon as I'm off the steroids. I've not changed any meds, detergents, anything. Ive been racking my brain trying to come up with anything at all I may have done differently. Nothing :(

Janetr
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited October 2016
    Allie - No we won't be buying a small apartment. Not at this stage of our lives. I might do if I am ever on my own. I am incredibly noise sensitive, so it would have to be in a very well insulated building. We are looking for a medium sized house, probably with one or more walls joined to other people. "Semi detached " is very popular in Britain, which means you have one wall in common .But we might have to go for an older terrace.
    DH is in burning mode. I have got rid of some very old tax returns. :D

Haven't really started packing yet, but everything is washed. I did make a last minute effort to get DH to pay for another suitcase, but he thinks we will be ok with sharing one 20 kg. My problem is always shoes, toiletries and makeup. Summer weight clothes don't take up a lot of room. I will check in late tonight - 36 hours ahead.

I have roasted some butternut squash for the curry and some cauliflower, zucchini and red pepper. The sauce is made with the chick peas, so it will just be ten minutes stirring at the end. :D I like my dinner more or less prepared by 3 pm.I will be adding spinach and tomatoes and having it with raita. There will be enough left for my lunch tomorrow.

We had some corn bread for lunch from our local baker. Very nice.

Well, I'm going to attack the toiletries. :sad:

Love Heather UK

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2016
    Barbie: Thanks for the new thread! :heart:

Gloria: I agree with Heather about your hair. You look stunning! I am glad that you are back. :smiley:

Yesterday I went to a reunion of the staff that opened an elementary school where I worked for several years. Many of them are also now retired. It was wonderful to see them! There were two women I'd hoped to see that didn't make the reunion. One of them was a good friend that I don't get to see very often. Our Principal hosted the event in her home. It was altogether lovely.

Here are my September Resolutions and comments:

September Resolutions:
    1. Log every bite and swallow. Done.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength. Done. My experiment with kettlebells didn't go as well as I'd hoped and I've backed away for now.
    3. Have fun every day. Done!
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! I'm getting better at this over time, but I still have to remind myself to drink enough water.
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. Sleep is going well.

October Resolutions (These will look very familiar.)

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility & back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day, preferably more.
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • katkearro
    katkearro Posts: 15 Member
    Hello all!

My goal is to be fit by 50!. So far I have lost 21 pounds with the help of DietBet, StepBet and MFP.

October Resolutions
    1. Win my current DietBet
    2. Win my current StepBet
    3. AB skin routine
    4. Remember to take my Multi-Vitamins/Minerals
    5. Live Consciously

Kathleen in Wild Rose Country - AB, Canada
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Heather, the prospects for new houses sounds so exciting. I can’t wait to see what you find to your liking.

Melanie, sorry things are moving so slowly for you. Glad your DD got the apartment. Hang in there and keep us posted as to how things are going with your house. house-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

Carol, sorry it wasn’t the best visit with your mom. I know you will be so happy when you have disposed of all her belongings. (((Hugs)))

Barbie, we are all rooting for you to have success on the throne. toilet-reading.gif (later) So happy you are home!! How are you feeling? Thanks as always for the new month…even surgery can’t keep you down. (((Hugs)))

Joyce, who is your DH texting???? LOL My DH has no desire to know how to text.

Janetr, it sounds like you are being patient although I know you must feel like screaming!!!! I hope the docs can find the cause and a cure and I certainly hope it’s nothing serious. ((((Hugs)))) Ya don’t think you have developed an allergy to your DH??? deep-sigh-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heather, I hope you can enjoy your trip and not give too much thought to the move. Have a marvelous time or should I say, Tienen un maravilloso viaje!

NYKaren, how wonderful that the scale is where you want. *sigh* I wish I could say that, but then I’ve not been eating the way I should to make that happen. Keep up the good work!!!

Katla, the reunion sounds like a fun get together. How nice of the principal to host it.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I went to the gym yesterday and had a good workout. I need to be going every day but that’s not happening. My friend that goes on the cruises with me has moved to Texas. At first she said she would fly back to go on our cruise in December but now she keeps dragging her feet. She took her grandson with her so the problem is, who would keep him. I think another friend is going to end up going in her place so she doesn’t have to worry about it. She is thrilled at that possibility. I’ll really miss her going but the last few have been very hard because she has such a hard time walking.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day and Month. halloween-ghost-2.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    happy oct 1,pouring rain here.
    Thanks Barbie,for the new post.Glad ur on ur way home,nothing like ur own bed.
    baby grandbaby was in the hospital yesterday with Bronchialitis.This grandma was a wreck.She`s 4 hours away and hubby was working.Good news,they are sending her home with breathing treatments,steroids and antibodics.
    Waiting for my son,DIL and 2 granddaughters to come for a visit,was suppose to go to pumpkin patch,but the rain botched that idea.
    Hugs to all
    jane
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    welcome Dana. You are so insightful about your habits. I am sure if you stick with it you will break the cycle. So much of this is about awareness and consistency.
    This is a very strong group of women here--keep checking in, this works.
    NYKAREN