WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – Thanks for reminding me to call a plumber … tried last week, 3 numbers, and no answer. I don’t know if they are even still in business; might have to go to Stone’s and find out. We have a commode that leaks (from the tank?) whenever we flush it. The commode in the MBR bath is so low that if I try to sit on it in the dark, I usually fall off to one side or the other. Not off, thankfully … but, still I misjudge the height. I want to buy one that is higher (by at least 3 inches). I, too, would love to redo our bathroom; I’d take out the tub; and make the area a big shower, with a nice glass door and make a ‘new’ vanity (a 2nd one, for me, or DH). Well, a ‘girl’ can ‘dream’ can’t she?

My DOS, when he was in HS put a hole in the wall in our hall; don’t remember why … I told him ‘calmly’ (believe that!!!) that he could have easily broken his hand by doing that, if he had hit a stud. When DH got home, he made him patch it; and, sat there instructing him on ‘how to do it’. Big enough that he had to cut a piece of drywall and thread it through the hole and then twist it back into place with a wire run through it. He never did that, at our home, since. He has put a hole in the wall, at their house. I guess he got my ‘temper’. I do want to ‘slam a door’; a cabinet door just doesn’t have quite the Ummph! DH made it so that none of the doors can be ‘slammed’. I’d really like to have a boxing bag and pair of boxing gloves. Actually one of those long ones that I could hit AND kick. My temper has been ‘temped’ down with some of the medications I take. It’s nice to be able to ‘hold my tongue’ unless provoked extremely.

The first weekend that we let DYS stay home, 'alone', while we went off for the weekend, he and a neighbor boy got into an argument. Other kid had a brown belt in karate; so instead of hitting him and possibly provoking him, he punched one of the windows in the garage, that was separate from the house, where DH painted. I don't know what got into him about removing the rest of the glass ... the inside had paint sprayed on it from DH spraying doors and cabinets and shutters. When we came in the house, DOS was sitting there with him, for 'moral support'; he had to call his brother to come to the hospital to agree for them to stitch him up. Some cuts were the glass; some were the fight. BOYS!!!

Well, going to meet DH at the Urologist tomorrow, maybe a 'new' one can 'fix' what goes on with him every 6 weeks or so. At least he is agreeable to me being there with him when he talks to him.

Lenora

• Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Thank you all for such encouraging words.
    Surgery went well. I was pretty out of it most of yesterday! But by evening I was able to walk the floor 2 times. I am at home now . Just took my pain pill i was trying to avoid it but realized I can't.

The doctor was very encouraging. He said the tumor was very small. He was able to remove it. But I won't know for sure till Friday. That is the day I can call get the lab report. To find out.

Enjoy reading everyone posts .

Have a good night
    Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been able to get on here. I pulled a muscle in my right shoulder blade area getting into the top bunk on the train. It is actually getting worse instead of better. I have been icing and laid up for 2 days now. It is now affecting the 2 broken vertebrae in my neck and the muscles there are swollen. Hopefully it will calm down or I will have to see a Dr. We have really crappy insurance and have a large out of pocket amount so I will hopefully improve with everyone's prayers and good thoughts!

Allie- sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers. (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Joyce - hallelujah re the contractor! What is it with men and walls & doors? Do we go around putting holes in things just because we're mad. Heck if that were the case my house would be at ground level by now!

Liz thinking of you - the news about the tumor is encouraging and hope the pathology report is as well<3

Mary - ouch re your shoulder and when did you break the vertebrae in your neck? I'm surprised you can do kettlebells with that! Repeat after me - ice is my friend, ice is my friend ...

Went to a support group tonight for Relatives Raising Children. Nice group of women and will go again. The meeting are at the Children's Hands on Museum and the kids got to do stuff while we had our meeting.

Went to DGS#2's parent teacher conference today. I had to laugh because he has 3s and 4s in everything except his handwriting (printing) and I had been thinking on the way to his conference how sloppy his printing is. The teacher said he just needs to slow down!

I am going to be volunteering at the school and reading to 1st graders - how fun is that?

Heard back from the job I interviewed for last week and they chose someone else. I was not surprised as I really think I totally blew my interview. Plus I would be leery of hiring someone in that position who has been off the market for 5yrs so to speak. So I've decided to not pursue a paralegal position right now and just find something that I know I would be good at even though it won't be at the same salary. From there if I decided that I still want to pursue another job as a paralegal I will take some classes and maybe volunteer at the Legal Clinic.

Off to slumber land for me . . . nite all!

Gloria in WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I guess there is a price to pay when you burn the candle at both ends....and I am paying the price...
    thank goodness I dont go into work until 10:30 but ,have to take Chester to get his staples out at 9, staying away from the nursing home until this passes... only good thing is Tomorrow is my day off, thought I have to take Homer down for his ultrasound.. was going to see my dad and talk with him, but not gonna chance him getting sick
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning folks, looking forward to the rest of my week, lots of food planning is making me feel in control, helping with my emotional rollercoaster!
    I've just made oatmeal with dates and walnuts-no other sugar added to my on the go morning thermos and for lunch, a salad with leftover veggies, including Brussel sprouts slaw with a little poached chicken. So that's the plan and I'm heading to the gym after work. Lather, rinse, repeat, log every bite, move a little every day.....we all know the drill.
    Scale is moving in the right direction this week and I intend to keep it that way!!
    NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Good morning Peeps!
    For those who asked, we can't figure out why my DH has hives. That's the most frustrating part. He also thinks he knows more than the doctors and doesn't follow orders. "Sigh"

NYKaren, thanks for the kind words. You are correct. Today is another day. Breakfast was at 425 Cals. Today. Better than yesterday's 900!

Going to walk dogs now. "Laters!"

Rita from central CT
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    OOoops! Busy morning! Hope to post more later, but wanted to shout out to Sue in WA before she makes her potato and leek soup tonight: Potato is a great thickener! I blend up a couple of ladles full of potato/leek and then added the blended potato to the soup to thicken it. Voila! No added cals from thickener or cream! Enjoy your soup! I love soup weather!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Checking in ... I have been MIA for a bit. Getting too busy for a retired person...*sigh* I am going to fix that! My motto was going to be "Just say NO!!" And I really have only added 1 item - but it is big - it will be finished soon though so I can get back to the basics of life - eat right for me, exercise, spend time with family and friends.

Our 14 inches of heavy wet snow is melting so now I will be able to get my plant pots put away. Lots of outside work to do, I would have had it donw if I hadn't gone out to BC to visit a 102 year old Great Aunt. But it had to be done!! So now to get the outside work done!! Need to dig parsnips yet so better get at it today.

Hugs to all, welcome newbies

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    morning again, back from taking Chester in,easy in easy out took 5 minutes and is healing nicely.. going into work at 10:30 so will stop and buy a can of soup.. dont feel much like eating which is WONDERFUL...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Liz, that is encouraging news....nobody wants to take pain pills but the best thing you can do is take them as prescribed at first to stay ahead of the pain and gradually increase the amount of time between pills

Mary....yes, "ice is your friend"....your body is strong and will recover one day at a time.

Gloria, sounds like a great support group...it always helps to share with others in similar situations...sorry to hear about the job, but I like your thinking about it and pursuing another line of work for now.

Alison
    , it's time to take care of yourself

NYKaren, planning is a good thing to do...strategy is stronger than willpower

Rita, I understand your frustration with a husband who doesn't follow the doctor's directions.

Lillian, I love parsnips...I hope you have lots of them.

We're taking Brandy (our 11 year old black poodle) to the vet today....the wound on her leg is getting worse (that's where they found the cancer before). She seems fine to me but Jake is concerned and wants the vet to look at her before her grooming appointment on Friday.

<3 Barbie from drizzly NW Washington
  • sooz58
    sooz58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, Found your discussion thread! I am doing a restart of my journey, took a couple months off, allowed a few lbs to creep back on. Looking for motivation and support! :)<3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Yo peeps
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Had a nice lunch out with my friend. :D<3 We mainly talked about next week's meet up in London next week. She gave me the key to my difficult friend's apartment as I will probably be the first to arrive. I am not staying the night as I don't approve of how my friend acquired the apartment. We are going to go food shopping in the posh supermarket opposite and buy assorted things for a meal and a drink. :D My difficult friend won't be there. HOORAY! She is nursing her "husband" in Gibraltar.
    We decided we might have an "intervention" with her in the future. This would require our other friend from Scotland to be in agreement with the plan. Not sure it would be of any use, but we are at the end of our tether with her. ;)

I had two starters, as usual, and not too much wine. Docked myself 650 calories. :D I think mushroom omelette for dinner. DH went walking with his cricket friend and had a very late lunch in the pub. I have done my exercises for the day. o:)

Managed to give her an hors d'oeuvre dish to take to her nearest charity shop. It's a present from DH, so didn't want him to see that I've junked it. >:)

My friend, at 67, has just got a new job. I won't be able to see her as often. She does really need the money.

Final of THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF tonight. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Up to doing 40 bicep curls with a 2# weight which means I might get to move to 3#s next week! Whoo hoo. It's the little things in life.... literally.

So rehab is going well. Still have random pain and can't move my arm certain ways. Limited in weight and such but the Physical Therapist is super happy with my progress. Dr. appointment on Monday. I'm officially 1 month out of surgery.

Going out to walk today. I still have to strap my arm down so I don't swing it. The constant repetitive motion would be a big no-no. I'm determined to do that half-marathon in January though even if it means walking it so out I go with my sling (made a fancy smancy light weight one that is brightly colored) and have it snugged to my waist. Not the most comfortable but at least it isn't hot like the one the Dr. gave me.

Marcelyn in Houston
    Remember - "Just say no to torn tedons"
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    One more week til we leave for California then the big run on the 6th
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    DGS#1s friend showed up at our door this morning looking like a drowned rat and said he ran away from last night because he is being abused at home and that his mom told him that he is why she thinks about killing herself. I'm trying to decided what to do. He's only 11 yrs old. His mom and her roommate both work graveyard and he is left at home with his mother's roommate's older daughter and another girl who is a foster child runaway who is staying there. He does not have a room of his own but is delegated to the living room so has no privacy. I asked if he has talked to anyone about the abuse but he says that no believes him. I'm going to call the counseling office where we go for some advice but chime in here please.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have a gorgeous new grandson and WIFI! At last. All I could do was post food into my calorie log until today. I expect to be here a few more days. :heart: I'll catch up on reading posts if I get time. :flowerforyou: