Opinions on coffee?

Options
This morning, I woke up with a HUGE craving for coffee. I have a cup of home-brewed coffee maybe three or four times a year (this does not include the occasional "coffee" milkshake indulgence drinks that I have maybe three times a year), so I splurged.

I used Maxwell's Original with 4 tablespoons of Coffeemate's caramel macchiato (I know, I need it sweet though). The sweetener makes the 8 oz. cup of joe 60 calories (carbs: 9, fat: 3, protein: 0, sodium: 45, sugar: 7). I'm amazed at how full I've been all day! I ate both breakfast and lunch, but I haven't had a snack at all today (I have the worst case of munchies on a daily basis).

Would it be okay for me to drink one 8oz. mug of coffee (with sweetener) a day?

I feel I should add that I searched the forums and found nothing but "Is coffee good or bad?" types of threads. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Coffee is full of antioxidants and also a natural appetite suppressant. The only thing that makes coffee unhealthy are the things we add to it.

People who should stay away from coffee are the ones with caffeine sensitivity issues, or anxiety problems.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup or two of coffee every day, with one tablespoon of sugar and one tablespoon of heavy cream. I just log it in my calories for the day. No problems thus far.

Enjoy your cup of coffee!
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    why not? So many people drink coffee and it does not interfere with their weight loss. I have actually just started drinking coffee more frequently, maybe twice a week compared to 2-3 times a year! Just keep eating though cause if you drop below your calorie requirements people will say you are putting yourself into starvation mode..whatever that is...:drinker:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have come to enjoy it black. If you want to use it as an appetite suppressant then having it without sugar is critical. Try adding heavy cream, butter, or coconut oil.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Coffee is full of antioxidants and also a natural appetite suppressant. The only thing that makes coffee unhealthy are the things we add to it.

People who should stay away from coffee are the ones with caffeine sensitivity issues, or anxiety problems.
    Well that's the thing; I didn't know if the sweetener was too unhealthy to have daily or not. And I have anxiety but it's drastically improved since I began exercising, and I wasn't affected at all today.
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    Hey! I have coffee daily and I have lost weight and maintained all while drinking coffee ;) YUM! I would make sure you measure out your coffee creamer and sugar/ sweetener, but it all should workout! As long as you log your calories you are good. I would also make sure to add in an extra cup of water if you are worried about dehydration at all, but really one cup won't do anything.

Good luck!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Kills the taste of the whiskey!!!!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I drink 24-31oz of coffee a day. However, I drink it black twice a day so that I get the full benefits of coffee. In the mornings, I usually add a tbsp of vanilla creamer for taster but adding creamers can add 100s of calories very easily
  • kylamaries
    Options
    I have come to enjoy it black. If you want to use it as an appetite suppressant then having it without sugar is critical. Try adding heavy cream, butter, or coconut oil.
    That's my question though, the coffee/sugar combination curbed my cravings all day long. So if I'm not willing to try the creams or oils, could I still stick with the sugar if I drink it in moderation?

PS. Kudos to enjoying it black! I don't think I could ever do that :drinker:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    To me...coffee is a must...everyday!!! Count it in your calories and you are golden!
  • kylamaries
    Options
    I opened my diary in case anyone wants to compare today with my other days.
  • gabrielpm
    gabrielpm Posts: 7
    Options
    My thought process with this as with everything else is:

1. Look up the nutritional info (calories, carbs, etc.)
    2. Figure out if it's worth fitting it into your diet (that is, figure out what you're willing to give up for it)
    3. ..
    4. Profit!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I don't function without coffee! Seriously it's my first thought in the morning. I don't use flavored creamers though. I say only you know if the 60 calories of creamer are worth it on a daily basis or not.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    That's my question though, the coffee/sugar combination curbed my cravings all day long. So if I'm not willing to try the creams or oils, could I still stick with the sugar if I drink it in moderation?

PS. Kudos to enjoying it black! I don't think I could ever do that :drinker:

A moderate amount of sugar is not going to harm you.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Yes, as the other posters have said, there are many benefits to coffee. Just account for any calories you add to it and you're good to go!

I could never give up coffee.

Also, thanks for searching the forums first before posting. I truly want to help others as many MFPers helped me, but it does get tiresome seeing the same questions asked over and over again. It would help if the search button were more prominent.
  • kylamaries
    Options
    My thought process with this as with everything else is:

1. Look up the nutritional info (calories, carbs, etc.)
    2. Figure out if it's worth fitting it into your diet (that is, figure out what you're willing to give up for it)
    3. ..
    4. Profit!
    I like it!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I WOULD DIE WITHOUT MY COFFEE :(
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    coffee is the elixir of life.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of 1/2 caff a day with the sugar free coffeemate
  • kylamaries
    Options
    I don't function without coffee! Seriously it's my first thought in the morning. I don't use flavored creamers though. I say only you know if the 60 calories of creamer are worth it on a daily basis or not.
    Yesterday I ate 220 cals in snacks, Saturday was 195, Friday was 268, and so on. I know it's not JUST about calories but a 60 cal. drink that helps me avoid other (more sugary) snacks seems worth it. I just wanted some other opinions though, thank you!