• justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    i spray windex into my protein to make it clean. lol

LOL I use Mr. Clean.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The impact of poor quality food may have a cumulative affect that could be more broad than merely weight. I suggest this debate be iced for couple of decades--then we all can compare notes. Who is taking what pharmaceuticals to manage which diseases? Who has ambulatory limitations? Who has still has mental clarity?

Or, simply go look at the studies that already exist.

On a side note, why the hell do these threads keep happening.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I eat as "clean" as I can but I realize that to eat 100% clean, 100% of the time is a little too strict for me. I aim for an 80/20 split. As long as my food is 80% clean and 20% "not clean", I'm cool with it. I use protein powder to supplement, sometimes, because I have found it's more difficult to reach the necessary amount of protein to fuel my workouts with food alone (especially depending on my calorie goal). So in my eyes, that would be counted as part of the 20% "not clean". Clean eating is someting that everyone can reap benefits from, however 100% of people can also benefit from remembering that a healthy lifestyle is all about balance and moderation. Also, there are clean protein powders out there without additives, but I'm personally too lazy to care that much to seek those out! I'm not sure why people are freaking out over clean eating all of a sudden. It's a healthy lifestyle and a personal choice, and people should respect that. Some people do "IIFIYM" which is great too. Again, it's all a personal choice.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why would you even take soy protein?

That's the real issue here
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    When people harp on how clean eaters don't eat completely clean I can't help but think...
    37768631.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean but instead of protein powder I consume yogurt, which is processed of course and is only meant to be consumed by baby cows but I always say sorry before I consume it.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think no one is responding to this because it looks like bait. The wording of the question is very rhetorical.

Agreed sounds like you are trying to start a arguement. Seems to me you already have made your mind up on the subject so why ever ask?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    When people harp on how clean eaters don't eat completely clean I can't help but think...
    37768631.jpg

Nobody's harping on clean eaters eating clean... I personally say something so that a noob doesn't get the idea that eating clean is the only path to great health. It's a public service really lol
  • highervibes
    Options
    I eat pretty clean but instead of protein powder I consume yogurt, which is processed of course and is only meant to be consumed by baby cows but I always say sorry before I consume it.

I just booted my yogurt in favor of cottage cheese which is higher in protein still. My yogurt was pretty low but I do really like it - which brand do you use?
  • MarioLozano16
    Options

I just booted my yogurt in favor of cottage cheese which is higher in protein still. My yogurt was pretty low but I do really like it - which brand do you use?

Eat Greek yogurt. Mine has 20g of protein per serving
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

lolwut?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I wonder if "clean eating" means no canned items, and by this I mean "home canned" foods.

If so, how would one eat locally, eat clean, and not starve in the winter if they live in northern climates (Or, extreme southern climates).
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    do you want the ultimate definition of "clean eating"?
    there is none.

do you want to know why people consume whey powder?
    convenience, amino acid profile, high protein intake, they think its magical etc.

no one is handing out medals for eating 100% unprocessed foods. most "clean eaters" just eat as heathy as possible and know that getting all technical about it wont benefit their health in any way.
  • forevergone4me
    Options
    I think this question gave me food for thought. I consider myself a newbie clean eater. (Never used that term before til I read this though). I gave up processed foods three years ago and gluten and caffeine two years ago and 6 months ago I gave up sugar, dairy and unhealthy carbs like white rice, white potatoes. I also eat mainly organic and try to eat a diet consisting of 50% veggies and 25% meat and %25 healthy carbs like brown rice. I do indulge in occasional healthy cheat snacks like Lundberg brown rice chips and I do have 85% dark chocolate (small piece now and again). I have a protein shake in the morning, living by the rule that it's my 20% dirty. The reason is although I always ate healthy I could never lose weight and I really saw a significant weight reduction when I started my day with one 6 months ago. I am almost at my idea weight now. I really liked smoothies in the morning and used to have one with organic berries, organic peanut butter, and 1/2 banana. (I don't consider organic natural peanut butter processed unless it is full of additives. If it just says peanuts on the label I eat it as grinding them I don't consider processed. I think processed is adding chemicals but I know some people are against roasting of peanuts.) Anyway I think there wasn't enough protein in it to slow down the sugar spiking happening from the berries and Banana because I did notice a shift in weightloss just from that change. I use vegans protein plus and only 3/4 of the scoop. I did hear it affects liver, kidneys if you are having several of these shakes a day as some people do. So I stick to my 3/4 serving and when I lose all my weight I will cut down and do it only 3times per week. I also take natural supplements like b complex, a daily vitamin and d in the winter from food sources. I don't know if this is perfect but I feel good and look about ten years younger than my age.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options

Which brand do you eat? Ever try Icelandic style? I don't think they have one that hit's 20g but most are around 14g and the flavors are good. REALLY tart. Check out Siggi's: http://www.skyr.com/
  • MarioLozano16
    Options

Which brand do you eat? Ever try Icelandic style? I don't think they have one that hit's 20g but most are around 14g and the flavors are good. REALLY tart. Check out Siggi's: http://www.skyr.com/

I get the Fage brand, it's unflavored though so I put in fruit or whey to make it taste good haha. and thanks, I'll look into it :P
  • highervibes
    Options
    edited because I just realized someone answered my question. I don't think I can get Fage in Canada. Not in my area anyways :(
  • MarioLozano16
    Options
    edited because I just realized someone answered my question. I don't think I can get Fage in Canada. Not in my area anyways :(

Fage 2% fat unflavored, :o
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I think no one is responding to this because it looks like bait. The wording of the question is very rhetorical.

Agreed sounds like you are trying to start a arguement. Seems to me you already have made your mind up on the subject so why ever ask?

Apparently you decided it wasn't worth your time to read any previous posts that weren't snarky.

Please refer to my previous comments. Thank you.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I think this question gave me food for thought. I consider myself a newbie clean eater. (Never used that term before til I read this though). I gave up processed foods three years ago and gluten and caffeine two years ago and 6 months ago I gave up sugar, dairy and unhealthy carbs like white rice, white potatoes. I also eat mainly organic and try to eat a diet consisting of 50% veggies and 25% meat and %25 healthy carbs like brown rice. I do indulge in occasional healthy cheat snacks like Lundberg brown rice chips and I do have 85% dark chocolate (small piece now and again). I have a protein shake in the morning, living by the rule that it's my 20% dirty. The reason is although I always ate healthy I could never lose weight and I really saw a significant weight reduction when I started my day with one 6 months ago. I am almost at my idea weight now. I really liked smoothies in the morning and used to have one with organic berries, organic peanut butter, and 1/2 banana. (I don't consider organic natural peanut butter processed unless it is full of additives. If it just says peanuts on the label I eat it as grinding them I don't consider processed. I think processed is adding chemicals but I know some people are against roasting of peanuts.) Anyway I think there wasn't enough protein in it to slow down the sugar spiking happening from the berries and Banana because I did notice a shift in weightloss just from that change. I use vegans protein plus and only 3/4 of the scoop. I did hear it affects liver, kidneys if you are having several of these shakes a day as some people do. So I stick to my 3/4 serving and when I lose all my weight I will cut down and do it only 3times per week. I also take natural supplements like b complex, a daily vitamin and d in the winter from food sources. I don't know if this is perfect but I feel good and look about ten years younger than my age.

Congratulations for being persistent in finding a good diet for you. Thank you too, for being confident enough to share and doing so maturely.