I couldn't NOT share this with you guys.. Gross.

Options
So lately, I've been eating canned mushrooms as a "vegetable addition" to lunch.. not often, but I've been enjoying them. Now I know they're TERRIBLE for you, but whatever, they were easy. So as I'm packing my lunch tonight, I curiously Googled "canned mushrooms" and stumbled upon a few articles suggesting that there are over 30 MAGGOTS per 3.5 oz can of mushrooms. Well, if that's not enough to make you vomit, I then found this article that I had to share. I suggest you read it, because it may change the way you look at some fruits and vegetables.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/grossest-bugs-you-dont-know-youre-eating

I'm so freaked out. Needless to say, those canned mushrooms were deleted from my food diary for tomorrow, and the can was chucked in the garbage.

If you know of anything else gross like that, please, let me know!:noway:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Caterpillars aren't ugly.:smile:
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    Caterpillars aren't ugly.:smile:

They are in my spinach! :noway:
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    omg thats discusting!!!!!! i dont know if i should read it because im ocd LOL but i have to now..

lucky i hate mushrooms! haha
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    omg thats discusting!!!!!! i dont know if i should read it because im ocd LOL but i have to now..

lucky i hate mushrooms! haha

Unfortunately, I love them.. Looks like I'll be buying them fresh and cooking them myself. If only that didn't sound so lazy lol. :laugh:
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Debating if I want to read it or not... I'm a good veggie eater! I don't want to vomit just thinking of eating them!:sick: My friend once told me there was tiny white worms in brocoli! ewww
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    there are insect parts in chocolate.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Debating if I want to read it or not... I'm a good veggie eater! I don't want to vomit just thinking of eating them!:sick: My friend once told me there was tiny white worms in brocoli! ewww

Do you eat fresh or frozen veggies? I will continue to eat my frozen broccoli, but I've been eating Great Value diced carrots in the cups for a long time and never saw anything suspicious. Does kind of turn me off though
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    ugh.. i had to stop reading it!!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh veggies

and I guess that where there are the most nasty bugs!!
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do the maggots disintegrate or something? I've never seen a maggot in caned mushrooms.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Do the maggots disintegrate or something? I've never seen a maggot in caned mushrooms.

Nor have I.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I've eaten worse.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that and now I want to throw up. lol
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you rinse your vegetables you'll be fine. Drain the can, rinse and drain again. Problem solved. Chances are good that you'll survive even if you did eat a bug part. Especially since all vegetables have had bugs on them at some point.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I'm puzzled...coming back to the canned mushrooms...wouldn't you see maggots? What am I missing? I don't think anything is perfect...but there are some things I'm just unsure about. Where are the maggots in the mushrooms?
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as extra protein - insects are delicacies in some parts of the world, and a great cheap source of protein :wink:
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    that is just extra protein :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you soak fresh vegetables in some salt water, then rinse well before you cook or eat them, the salt water will kill bugs, worms, etc. that are still in the veggies and they will rinse out. You can do the same for mushrooms, you just don't want to leave them in the salt water too long or they will get mushy.

As for what's in your canned goods, you've been eating them all of your life and no harm has come to you. Many cultures eat insects. We just think it's gross because our society has taught us to think it is. I don't eat a lot of canned goods but won't stop eating the ones I do.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    that is just extra protein :)

Not the protein I was looking for haha :wink:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as extra protein - insects are delicacies in some parts of the world, and a great cheap source of protein :wink:

This.