I couldn't NOT share this with you guys.. Gross.

Options

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Caterpillars aren't ugly.:smile:

They are in my spinach! :noway:

Protein, yum.

Rigger
  • kaseybill
    kaseybill Posts: 28
    Options
    Insects on my veggies don't bother me. I find them pretty often on my produce. I know what to look for.... dad was an entomologist (checked farms for bugs) and I'm a horticulturist so I've seen my share of critters on fresh food. What's more concerning is what they put on our food to keep the pests away. I.e. the same pesticides used for flea and tick control for your dog, termites for your house are also used on many, many agricultural crops. We eat plenty of pesticide residue each day on fresh and processed. Even certified organic produce can be treated with some pretty gnarly 'natural' pesticides. Who knows what that does to our health! So bugs aren't a healthy concern, I'll take aphids on my broccoli over pesticides ANY day! I'm climbing off my soap box now. Cheers to all little critters everywhere!
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    :laugh: i've known about this forever. I try not to eat canned foods anyway
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Meh extra protien but i do prefer fresh
  • veracalore
    veracalore Posts: 14
    Options
    Another one I've heard is roaches in ground black pepper...... Apparently 2% of ground pepper is allowed to be roaches. Don't know if that's accurate, but I grind my own anyway.
  • meeper123
    Options
    In India, they eat fresh live maggots. Don't worry about trivial things. You've been eating the canned mushrooms and you're fine.

This is like the arsenic in the apple juice BS.

Its in chicken to very smal small amounts
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one that has never found a bug of any kind in vegetables I've purchased?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Meh, bugs are edible. Some of the best and most bioavailable protein known to man is from meal worms. Pesticides and GMOs freak me out.

I swallow a couple of bugs whenever I go on bike rides. Not sure how to log that...:smile:
  • captainjordyn
    Options
    Thats so gross good thing i don't eat canned mushrooms haha.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Debating if I want to read it or not... I'm a good veggie eater! I don't want to vomit just thinking of eating them!:sick: My friend once told me there was tiny white worms in brocoli! ewww

Do you eat fresh or frozen veggies? I will continue to eat my frozen broccoli, but I've been eating Great Value diced carrots in the cups for a long time and never saw anything suspicious. Does kind of turn me off though

My Mum & Dad apparently watched some thing on tv about frozen vegies that are imported from Asian countries. They are allegedly grown in people's urine & faeces so now my Dad refuses to eat frozen vegies that aren't from Australia.

Farming practices
    Earlier this year, Today Tonight revealed shocking farming practices in certain countries, such as Thailand, India and China. Dangerous chemicals such as DDT and Deildren, banned in Australia decades ago, were being used on vegetable crops.

Tests on dried foods imported into Australia showed 16 out of 50 (one in three) had carcinogenic residues.

"Yet we allow products to come into this country that contain these chemicals," Mr Laird said. "It's just not good enough."

In China, untreated animal waste and human excrement from nearby toilet blocks were being used as fertiliser on hectares of vegetables, including cauliflower, celery, cabbages, snow peas, corn. These vegetables were grown for export to many countries, including Australia.

"The whole area of China seems to be a disaster looking for somewhere to happen," Mr Sibraa said. "The hygiene is not very good for a start, nobody's really checking it. They pretend they are but they are not."

"And the use of human faeces to cultivate crops is just beyond anyone's comprehension."

Professor Collignon urged far tougher standards for imports.

"The trouble at the moment is, trade seems to outweigh public health and we need to make sure public health has pre-eminence rather than money," declares infectious diseases physician, Professor Collignon.

He warned that some bugs on these foods were antibiotic-resistant.
  • meeper123
    Options
    In India, they eat fresh live maggots. Don't worry about trivial things. You've been eating the canned mushrooms and you're fine.

No. They literally eat a plate of it.

I am saying its so small you would have to eat a billion chickens for it to make any change to you at all. But people freak about it anyways shrug ment the arsenic not maggots lol
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Chicken has arsenic, not maggots. And yes, many cultures eat bugs. Not sure why we don't here in North America.
  • meeper123
    Options

Chicken has arsenic, not maggots. And yes, many cultures eat bugs. Not sure why we don't here in North America.

Me either tjey are low cal high protien cheap and not too bad
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

If you know of anything else gross like that, please, let me know!:noway:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp

More bug stuff. Most red food coloring is made from crushed cochineal insects.... that's right, the red color in your strawberry oatmeal, fruit juice, strawberry and cherry gelatin, and on and on... They're widely used for foods, beverages, and cosmetics.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Its only a few bugs, I wouldnt be 10kg overweight if I worried about everything I put in my mouth lol

Personally, I would be more worried about the metals seeping into my food from the cans they are packaged in. You never know how long they are on the shelf, at least not where I live (in Uganda) so I hardly ever buy anything in a can. Would rather eat a few bugs any day over heavy metal poisoning!

Btw, as a side note I found a HUGE cockroach in my kitchen this morning, thats one bug I hope I never have to get too close to, just gross!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    For some people who are confused about not seeing maggots in their mushrooms: the maggots are ground up and added as a powder. It's on purpose. Companies use ground up insects as a cheap form of protein boost for certain kinds of foods. That's why you're not seeing any of those 30 creepy crawlies in your canned shrooms. We eat hella bugs all the time, just in a less scary powdered form.
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    all i got out of that was extra protein yeah!!!!