Best way to lose belly fat ?

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    "High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise."

It doesn't get much plainer than that.

The second article discusses the effects of cortisol and research is referenced at the bottom of the page. You can find plenty of references that high glycemic foods increase cortisol and that increased cortisol causes increased storage of visceral fat. Believe it or not but I will go by the people with PHD's. If you have proof otherwise, you are welcome to argue with them about it.

You might enjoy the below video. Dr. Layne Norton has competed on multiple levels in fitness and is a reseracher, which is far more valuable than many who have just done research under specific parameters. He as tends to link all the reference studies in the comments so people can get a further understanding. Personally, he is one of the most value resources I have seen in nutrition and fitness. And he also practices what he preaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNquMyUCCYI

OP, a calorie deficit (not overly aggressive) and a good progressive overload lifting routine (for muscle maintenance) will provide some of the best results.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    hack it off with a butcher knife. If you don't like that idea just exercise, adjust your diet and let the stuff burn. Be aware that the fat burns all over. Not just the belly.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just lose weight...you can't spot reduce fat...it comes off from wherever in time.

This is true. You cannot spot reduce fat but leveling your blood sugar does help some. The more your blood sugar spikes, the more fat is stored in the abdomen. This why you see athletes in great shape who still have a gut. It is from binging on carbs. I used to have that issue but, even at the same weight, my stomach is flatter when I eat right.

In general, you don't see athletes in great shape who have a big gut. You see some athletes (typically men) at normal or slightly high body fat levels that carry a high proportion of their fat at the lower abdomen because of genetics. You see some power lifters at normal body fat levels that have extreme core hypertrophy making them look like they have a beer belly. You also see some pro bodybuilders with distended abdomens because of drug abuse. But if your body fat is low enough, you lose the belly, regardless of how many carbs you eat.

Water retention can also make a dramatic difference in your appearance. If by "eating right," your diet switched to low-carb and low-sodium, then this can easily lead to over a 5 lbs drop in water weight.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I also had this tough problem for many years, and recently I've lost a lot of fat from my belly.
    1.aerobic exercise(runing and rope skipping are my favorites)
    2.anaerobic exercise(I do Insanity)
    3.Last but not least,eating habits,eating habits,eating habits !:# Low sugar,low oil, low salt,and: Fewer portion than before. Now crude fiber food,veggies,low sugar fruits are my main cuisines. No cakes,no biscuits,no chocolates ,no potato chips:#
    4.Adjust the sitting and walking position.

I have a flat stomach and I eat cake, biscuits, chocolate and definitely potato chips :) What shape someone is plays a pretty big role-I'm pear shaped and store all my cush in my bum/thighs. Even when my BMI was down to 18.9 I had squish in that area. However, my stomach was the first thing to flatten when I started losing weight. My current BMI is 21.8 and my stomach is totally flat (almost too much-it looks misproportioned to my lower half right now).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cortisol...

If it had that much impact, I wouldn't have lost any weight at all.
    1.aerobic exercise(runing and rope skipping are my favorites)
    Aerobic exercise is for cardiovascular health and endurance, not for fat loss. It can increase deficit and TDEE slightly, though, if one is sedentary. A calorie deficit if for fat loss.
    2.anaerobic exercise(I do Insanity)
    Not anaerobic... Mostly aerobic.
    3.Last but not least,eating habits,eating habits,eating habits !:# Low sugar,low oil, low salt,and: Fewer portion than before. Now crude fiber food,veggies,low sugar fruits are my main cuisines. No cakes,no biscuits,no chocolates ,no potato chips:#
    No, no, no. Sugar, fat, salt do NOT contribute to fat gain, excess calories do. By your logic, I would not have lost over 90lbs since I have around 60g of fat a day, sugar and higher sodium. Once again, it's not the type of food that cause fat gain or no loss, too many calories causes fat gain/maintaining.
    4.Adjust the sitting and walking position.
    Improving posture does not equal fat loss, but it does improve the appearance.