Well-meaning sabotage.

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could work a small portion of what they offer into your calories as weight loss is all about calorie deficit?

I don't eat anything different to my family.. I eat the exact same foods, just less of it.

This. The only foods I avoid are those I am required to avoid due to a medical issue, and lactose intolerance and soy intolerance.
  • TacheNoir
    TacheNoir Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Great - you don't avoid foods. Other people do, and that sounds like what she wants to do.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TacheNoir wrote: »
    Great - you don't avoid foods. Other people do, and that sounds like what she wants to do.

Right....I don't avoid foods I love. There is no reason to.

The OP did not make any comments to indicate that she wants to avoid foods. ;)
  • TacheNoir
    TacheNoir Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

She made it pretty clear that she's trying to eat better and doesn't want to eat the same mess her family is eating. I'd say that qualifies as avoiding certain types of food.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    SammyD242 wrote: »
    For those who commented that they don't see the problem: Im really happy for you that you're surrounded by supportive folks who encourage your efforts. Also that you have fantastic willpower. I have neither of those things.

So when I prepare my family a healthy salad with grilled chicken for supper, and my husband snarls that he doesnt want "more rabbit food" and whips up a gorgeous bacon burger with all the toppings and some home fries.... and he puts some in front of me.... I either give in, or i feel resentful that he's not supporting me. Why tempt me like that??

I have a gigantic dog and I take her for 2 long walks a day: 6 am and after supper. I always invite my family (husband and 3 sons) to join me for the 2nd walk. I often hear complaints that i already took her for a walk, why dont i stay home and spend time with them, wah wah wah trying to make me give up my walk.

If one of them took up playing an instrument, a sport, photography or a new diet, I would, without question, support them. Subtle efforts to make me cheat on my eating or forego exercise is NOT SUPPORTIVE and that hurts my feelings.

When i quit smoking years ago, nobody kept putting cigarettes in my face every day and I stayed away from places where people smoked.

He puts it IN FRONT OF YOU? um no how about no. If he calls your cooking rabbit food then I would be telling him "I don't want more piggy food, better rabbit than pig." If they rag you about walking I would probably tell them I would rather enjoy some fresh air than let my *kitten* put down roots in the couch. If they are going to be snarky and rotten well 2 can play at that game. Granted I'm sort of short tempered and I don't mind a confrontation if someone is on my nerves, I'm not necessarily saying my way is what a therapist would recommend lol but I do not take kindly to people sabotaging my efforts as if I were not an adult to make my own decisions and have them respected.

Uh, right. Ok. But it seems that either OP is married to a complete and total jerk and probably should do something about that (and I don't mean be a jerk back)- OR the OP is worked up, frustrated by her self-imposed dietary restrictions, and kinda exaggerating the scenario. I mean, it's WEIRD if this guy rejected the meal she prepared, snarled at her and demeaned her cooking...and then created an elaborate burger and replaced her meal (was she still eating it? Idk) with something she explicitly said no to. WEIRD. And by weird I mean something is off. Whether that something is the story or her partner's character, idk.

Assuming he's not actually the asshat she describes, a compromise might be to budget your calories such that you can enjoy the meal with your family with some minor tweaks. And invite them to do something active you know they will be into. Or find a walking friend.

I agree with u. This behavior of his is way, way off. That's not how a caring husband behaves. If my husband acted like that we would be going at it hammer and tongs because I would be so very angry at the disrespect. As it is my hubby knows that if he wants fattening stuff, he is on his own. As a responsible grown man he gets that. He does work out with me so we have a compromise that works. But I digress, this thread isn't about me.

She sounds a bit like me, like someone who has "trigger foods" that she needs to just plain avoid or else things just go off the rails (op correct me if I am wrong please.) Some people do great with scaled down portions, and some people just can't go there. If you know you can't go there it's best to just act on your knowledge. What OP makes *sounds* like good, pleasant tasting food to me. I love salads, maybe she does too IDK. Ditto well prepared veggies. Still even for those who love the healthy foods, our "animal nature" tries to take over when the hyperpalatable fattening stuff comes out of the kitchen! How she feels having these things literally placed right in front of her, it is very difficult for many people.

The dog makes a good walking friend IMHO. I used to walk Mom's little shih tzu when said dog was in better health.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    SammyD242 wrote: »
    For those who commented that they don't see the problem: Im really happy for you that you're surrounded by supportive folks who encourage your efforts. Also that you have fantastic willpower. I have neither of those things.

So when I prepare my family a healthy salad with grilled chicken for supper, and my husband snarls that he doesnt want "more rabbit food" and whips up a gorgeous bacon burger with all the toppings and some home fries.... and he puts some in front of me.... I either give in, or i feel resentful that he's not supporting me. Why tempt me like that??

I have a gigantic dog and I take her for 2 long walks a day: 6 am and after supper. I always invite my family (husband and 3 sons) to join me for the 2nd walk. I often hear complaints that i already took her for a walk, why dont i stay home and spend time with them, wah wah wah trying to make me give up my walk.

If one of them took up playing an instrument, a sport, photography or a new diet, I would, without question, support them. Subtle efforts to make me cheat on my eating or forego exercise is NOT SUPPORTIVE and that hurts my feelings.

When i quit smoking years ago, nobody kept putting cigarettes in my face every day and I stayed away from places where people smoked.

He puts it IN FRONT OF YOU? um no how about no. If he calls your cooking rabbit food then I would be telling him "I don't want more piggy food, better rabbit than pig." If they rag you about walking I would probably tell them I would rather enjoy some fresh air than let my *kitten* put down roots in the couch. If they are going to be snarky and rotten well 2 can play at that game. Granted I'm sort of short tempered and I don't mind a confrontation if someone is on my nerves, I'm not necessarily saying my way is what a therapist would recommend lol but I do not take kindly to people sabotaging my efforts as if I were not an adult to make my own decisions and have them respected.

Uh, right. Ok. But it seems that either OP is married to a complete and total jerk and probably should do something about that (and I don't mean be a jerk back)- OR the OP is worked up, frustrated by her self-imposed dietary restrictions, and kinda exaggerating the scenario. I mean, it's WEIRD if this guy rejected the meal she prepared, snarled at her and demeaned her cooking...and then created an elaborate burger and replaced her meal (was she still eating it? Idk) with something she explicitly said no to. WEIRD. And by weird I mean something is off. Whether that something is the story or her partner's character, idk.

Assuming he's not actually the asshat she describes, a compromise might be to budget your calories such that you can enjoy the meal with your family with some minor tweaks. And invite them to do something active you know they will be into. Or find a walking friend.

I agree with u. This behavior of his is way, way off. That's not how a caring husband behaves. If my husband acted like that we would be going at it hammer and tongs because I would be so very angry at the disrespect. As it is my hubby knows that if he wants fattening stuff, he is on his own. As a responsible grown man he gets that. He does work out with me so we have a compromise that works. But I digress, this thread isn't about me.

She sounds a bit like me, like someone who has "trigger foods" that she needs to just plain avoid or else things just go off the rails (op correct me if I am wrong please.) Some people do great with scaled down portions, and some people just can't go there. If you know you can't go there it's best to just act on your knowledge. What OP makes *sounds* like good, pleasant tasting food to me. I love salads, maybe she does too IDK. Ditto well prepared veggies. Still even for those who love the healthy foods, our "animal nature" tries to take over when the hyperpalatable fattening stuff comes out of the kitchen! How she feels having these things literally placed right in front of her, it is very difficult for many people.

The dog makes a good walking friend IMHO. I used to walk Mom's little shih tzu when said dog was in better health.

But if she wants human companionship on her walks- and the support she wants in general- reaching out for likeminded friends is a good option. Clearly her partner isn't going to be the walking guy. Or the diet support guy. So OP should probably get those needs met elsewhere. Whether she is cool with being married to someone who is somewhere in between bafflingly, densely unsupportive and an outright douchecanoe is secondary and outside my pay grade.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    TacheNoir wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

She made it pretty clear that she's trying to eat better and doesn't want to eat the same mess her family is eating. I'd say that qualifies as avoiding certain types of food.

Mess? Really? It's all just food, mess is in the perception.

I don't care whether she or anyone else avoids foods. I'm just participating in an online conversation. ;)

You didn't say she's avoiding certain types of foods, you said she wants to avoid certain food, but her wording indicates otherwise. She called her husband's bacon burger gorgeous, which indicates that it is something she likes. My comments were simply asking if she can eat smaller portions of the foods she likes.

As for me, really....I choose to eat the foods I love in moderation.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I've written this on man posts like this.. but I've learned it is best not to talk about weightloss efforts with family or significant other. They almost always sabotage ... we could analyze it to death. We can't leave our family or husbands... they just can't accept the change for one reason or another. bottom line.. take the focus off your efforts.. so they get onto something else. like their own lives. haha.
  • SammyD242
    SammyD242 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Well, dang. Maybe you could've said your husband was an asshat from the get go so we couldve just skipped all the advice giving and gone straight into the support-bashing. So confuse.

Nope. I was genuinely hoping for help from you folks, to get a helpful perspective for myself or a way to help my family be supportive.

Quite a few people responded that they've also struggled with family who make this fight more difficult than it has to be.

I know I'm not alone. That makes a difference.