KFC/Chemical High

Options

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    @magicpickles are you addicted to any other stimulants? Gaming, gambling, sex, validation etc?

I'm addicted to food, gaming and validation. There are addiction issues in my family for drugs and alcohol so I have always avoided those. I only have alcohol a few times a year, and never enough to get drunk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    @magicpickles are you addicted to any other stimulants? Gaming, gambling, sex, validation etc?

I'm addicted to food, gaming and validation. There are addiction issues in my family for drugs and alcohol so I have always avoided those. I only have alcohol a few times a year, and never enough to get drunk.

I agree that it is psychological as well as tasty.

You mentioned dopamine earlier...

The dopamine feedback loop is pretty powerful. Have you thought about getting a little therapy? Although I don't think an ocassional trip to KFC requires therapy, these other things combined with it seem to suggest that someone to talk to would be really helpful.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I really like KFC and tend to have it once a week.

I want to quit eating it, because there are things I can eat at home that taste better, and I think I just like it because it gives me some kind of chemical high, like when I need it, it calms some kind of need in me like an addiction that nothing else can satisfy. I can also make food at home that has less calories and doesn't cost me $12 a hit, WITH nutritional value. Like, when I want KFC, nothing else makes me feel better. I am like that with some other foods.

I am thinking about quitting processed foods, but maybe just giving up one thing at a time is better. I wanted to start with KFC because I eat it regularly.

What chemicals from KFC am I getting and what can I replace them with? is it something like dopamine or sugar?

When I go to KFC I usually get the two piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces original skin chicken, pepsi max, a bread roll, potato and gravy and chicken salt chips. I think its the chicken and chips that I crave, although I get sick of them after a modest amount. I don't like eating too much chicken, I think I mostly like the skin, not the middle.

I'm also wondering if the recipe is different for New Zealand KFC as it is internationally.

I really miss the taste of KFC, but no matter what type of KFC chicken I get, and how little, it makes my tummy hurt.

Edited for clarity.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I want to quit eating it, because there are things I can eat at home that taste better, and I think I just like it because it gives me some kind of chemical high, like when I need it, it calms some kind of need in me like an addiction that nothing else can satisfy. I can also make food at home that has less calories and doesn't cost me $12 a hit, WITH nutritional value. Like, when I want KFC, nothing else makes me feel better. I am like that with some other foods.

I am thinking about quitting processed foods, but maybe just giving up one thing at a time is better. I wanted to start with KFC because I eat it regularly.

What chemicals from KFC am I getting and what can I replace them with? is it something like dopamine or sugar?

When I go to KFC I usually get the two piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces original skin chicken, pepsi max, a bread roll, potato and gravy and chicken salt chips. I think its the chicken and chips that I crave, although I get sick of them after a modest amount. I don't like eating too much chicken, I think I mostly like the skin, not the middle.

I'm also wondering if the recipe is different for New Zealand KFC as it is internationally.

I really miss the taste of KFC, but no matter what type of chicken I get, and how little, it makes my tummy hurt.

How do you get your protein if you can't eat chicken?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I really miss the taste of KFC, but no matter what type of chicken I get, and how little, it makes my tummy hurt.

No, it's not the chicken, which I eat plenty of; I think it's something in the KFC batter that makes my stomach hurt.

There are so many wonderful ways to get protein.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It appears you are dependent on it as a habit. Some foods are connected to certain feelings, possibly even memories in our heads. Detaching that feeling from the food itself is hard but doable. Good news is, you're not chemically addicted to it, and there are some great tools out there to control and change your habits. MSG does not cause chemical dependency either. I have it home and I add it to some dishes as a spice for that umami flavor, specifically to fish dishes. If it were addictive I would be putting it in everything every day and going through physical withdrawal when I don't use it.

I Love this post. I wish I could give it a double awesome!

• Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Oh right. On a scale of 1 - 10 how positive/happy do you feel while you're gaming and receiving validation vs when you're not engaging in those things?
  • Red_Pill
    Options

Beef, lamb, fish, eggs, beans, turkey, *protein shakes, dairy. There's loads of other sources of protein.
  • magicpickles
    Options

Oh right. On a scale of 1 - 10 how positive/happy do you feel while you're gaming and receiving validation vs when you're not engaging in those things?

I don't know, lots of things make me happy. Addiction is probably a strong word for gaming and validation, I don't game that often and I think validation is a basic human need, like if you aren't appreciated by your friends and family theres something wrong.

I am definately addicted to food. Either I'm stuffing my face and looking for my next feed or I'm busy with something/distracted and barely eat.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah one ounce of KFC chicken has like 28 grams of chemicals in it.

:laugh:
    I am going to pick up an ounce 'bucket' of KFC chemicals now.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

No, it's not the chicken, which I eat plenty of; I think it's something in the KFC batter that makes my stomach hurt.

There are so many wonderful ways to get protein.

I'm allergic to soy, and while KFC tasters wonderful, it gives me GI distress of epic proportions. It's not that common an issue, not in America, where only about 1.5% of the adult population has it, but it's often overlooked in favor of more trendy problems. I had problems that were severe for many years and my doctors dismissed them until a friend from Britain suggested I get treated for soy allergy... and I'm so grateful to her!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    This thread has reminded me of a book on my to read list: The Power of Habit.
  • Red_Pill
    Options

I don't know, lots of things make me happy. Addiction is probably a strong word for gaming and validation, I don't game that often and I think validation is a basic human need, like if you aren't appreciated by your friends and family theres something wrong.

I am definately addicted to food. Either I'm stuffing my face and looking for my next feed or I'm busy with something/distracted and barely eat.

Yeah that's cool. I was just wondering where your state of mind was at. I couldn't tell through your tone of text. As for the gaming and validation thing, you're not addicted to them lol. You're casual with it like most people. Tbh I don't personally think anything itself is addictive except drugs. Other than that it's the person who is triggered not the actual thing
  • magicpickles
    Options

I own that book but never finished it. Too boring for me. I found this article more useful for building habits: http://collegeinfogeek.com/conditional-habits/
  • Red_Pill
    edited October 2016
    Options

I own that book but never finished it. Too boring for me. I found this article more useful for building habits: http://collegeinfogeek.com/conditional-habits/

Bookmarked. Skimmed through it. Seems like my type of read. Thanks. I still need to read that book though. Heard it's a real game changer but I'm guessing it probably comes down to "do the thing whether you feel like it or not" eventually the habit will form. Simply guess work here lol. That motto works for me.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Salt, sugar and fat are the trifecta when it comes to why we love food that's so bad for us.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Salt, sugar and fat are the trifecta when it comes to why we love food that's so bad for us.

Good point..

I know that when I focus on a food I want I do not stop thinking about it, its more the act of getting that food and then devouring that food until finished.. Its the act of getting and eating the food = dopamine release (I guess).

The validation addiction got me to thinking and this is not addiction its really is a personality trait.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    MSG isn't good for you, but there's zero medical evidence as far as I know that it's addictive, outside the dubious claims of crunchy granola websites and blogs. It's the desire for food and the emotional attachments to eating that are addicting, not MSG or sugar or carbs or whatever.

By the way, the fingers I'm typing this with are 100% made up of chemicals. Everything organic is chemical -- as has been pointed out hundreds of times in this forum.