KFC/Chemical High

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    By the way, the fingers I'm typing this with are 100% made up of chemicals. Everything organic is chemical -- as has been pointed out hundreds of times in this forum.

I realise that, my parents are scientists/medical professionals. I kind of mean chemicals made in the lab to produce pleasure or cravings. Chemicals put in food that are unnatural and that the body doesn't agree with.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah one ounce of KFC chicken has like 28 grams of chemicals in it.

:laugh:
    I am going to pick up an ounce 'bucket' of KFC chemicals now.

Oh man......I would love to join you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I really like KFC and tend to have it once a week.

I want to quit eating it, because there are things I can eat at home that taste better, and I think I just like it because it gives me some kind of chemical high, like when I need it, it calms some kind of need in me like an addiction that nothing else can satisfy. I can also make food at home that has less calories and doesn't cost me $12 a hit, WITH nutritional value. Like, when I want KFC, nothing else makes me feel better. I am like that with some other foods.

I am thinking about quitting processed foods, but maybe just giving up one thing at a time is better. I wanted to start with KFC because I eat it regularly.

What chemicals from KFC am I getting and what can I replace them with? is it something like dopamine or sugar?

When I go to KFC I usually get the two piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces original skin chicken, pepsi max, a bread roll, potato and gravy and chicken salt chips. I think its the chicken and chips that I crave, although I get sick of them after a modest amount. I don't like eating too much chicken, I think I mostly like the skin, not the middle.

I'm also wondering if the recipe is different for New Zealand KFC as it is internationally.

I really miss the taste of KFC, but no matter what type of chicken I get, and how little, it makes my tummy hurt.

How do you get your protein if you can't eat chicken?

No, it's not the chicken, which I eat plenty of; I think it's something in the KFC batter that makes my stomach hurt.

There are so many wonderful ways to get protein.

I'm allergic to soy, and while KFC tasters wonderful, it gives me GI distress of epic proportions. It's not that common an issue, not in America, where only about 1.5% of the adult population has it, but it's often overlooked in favor of more trendy problems. I had problems that were severe for many years and my doctors dismissed them until a friend from Britain suggested I get treated for soy allergy... and I'm so grateful to her!

I didn't realize there was soy in KFC batter. I do have a problem with soy. I can't eat Tofu either because it makes my stomach hurt.
  • magicpickles
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    By the way, the fingers I'm typing this with are 100% made up of chemicals. Everything organic is chemical -- as has been pointed out hundreds of times in this forum.

I realise that, my parents are scientists/medical professionals. I kind of mean chemicals made in the lab to produce pleasure or cravings. Chemicals put in food that are unnatural and that the body doesn't agree with.

While such things exist, it's pretty well universally illegal to put them in food for human consumption.

6qlcyfip3vi8.jpeg

Legal food additives include preservatives, dyes to improve color, flavorings and thickeners. Here is a list of European Union approved food additives: https://www.food.gov.uk/science/additives/enumberlist#toc-5

I don't think its illegal. All kinds of stuff gets put into processed foods. They put corn syrup into foods under unidentifiable names and multiple other products with names that can't be pronounced or random numbers.

I don't think adding food colouring to food is a good thing. Or things to enhance flavours if it makes it addictive.

They used to make foods and leave the fat in, but in the 70s or 80s people wanted to lose weight, so they started selling products as low fat or fat free, and since the flavour from the fat was gone, they increased the amount of sugar and other chemicals. It has made us very unhealthy. I'm not saying we should eat lots of fat, but the foods should have been left as they were, we could have still eaten it in moderation and been alright.

Anyway, I feel like this thread has gone off topic. I just want to know what it is about KFC that feels so good to me and why the cravings don't subside, even after weeks. Why do I want the KFC when something made at home tastes better to me? it has to be the chemicals.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

While such things exist, it's pretty well universally illegal to put them in food for human consumption.

6qlcyfip3vi8.jpeg

Legal food additives include preservatives, dyes to improve color, flavorings and thickeners. Here is a list of European Union approved food additives: https://www.food.gov.uk/science/additives/enumberlist#toc-5

I don't think its illegal. All kinds of stuff gets put into processed foods. They put corn syrup into foods under unidentifiable names and multiple other products with names that can't be pronounced or random numbers.

I don't think adding food colouring to food is a good thing. Or things to enhance flavours if it makes it addictive.

They used to make foods and leave the fat in, but in the 70s or 80s people wanted to lose weight, so they started selling products as low fat or fat free, and since the flavour from the fat was gone, they increased the amount of sugar and other chemicals. It has made us very unhealthy. I'm not saying we should eat lots of fat, but the foods should have been left as they were, we could have still eaten it in moderation and been alright.

Anyway, I feel like this thread has gone off topic. I just want to know what it is about KFC that feels so good to me and why the cravings don't subside, even after weeks. Why do I want the KFC when something made at home tastes better to me? it has to be the chemicals.

Um OK. So anything that you can't pronounce=bad and addictive. You crave KFC because you like it not because of some use ret conspiracy to make you addicted to it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

6qlcyfip3vi8.jpeg

Or perhaps you associate it with happy childhood memories? For some reason it has become a comfort food for you. It's no more addictive than any other food sources. Do you crave it more when you are upset?
  • magicpickles
    edited October 2016
    @singingflutelady

@Sloth2016

Calories in, calories out blah blah blah. Look- Its quite likely I have diabetes. I don't care about weight loss at the moment, especially if it is at the cost of my life. I am fighting for my health and sanity. I care about what is causing cravings. If you want to debate or argue, find another thread. I no longer want to consume food that is slowly poisoning me. I want to eat healthy.

And just because something is brought up in just about every thread, does not mean it is right.

Sorry for being blunt (rude), but I wish this topic would stay related to the original post. Maybe its my fault for responding to following posts. I don't see the point in correcting my views, I have the right to hold them and make my own decisions. I tried calories in/calories out, and ate whatever I wanted and ended up at the doctors. I have to get more tests this week and I am terrified.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    Best of luck on your journey.
  • magicpickles
    Best of luck on your journey.

Thanks. Sorry for blowing up at you, I'm sure we can have a nice chat on another thread.
  • magicpickles
    Good luck. I agree your cravings are psychological and blaming them on chemicals isn't going to help you get the root of your food issues and yes I'm speaking from experience. Sorry to hijack your thread with this information but don't want you to fall into a very bad trap of blaming the food when it isn't the food.

Ok, fair enough. Thank you.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I really like KFC and tend to have it once a week.

I want to quit eating it, because there are things I can eat at home that taste better, and I think I just like it because it gives me some kind of chemical high, like when I need it, it calms some kind of need in me like an addiction that nothing else can satisfy. I can also make food at home that has less calories and doesn't cost me $12 a hit, WITH nutritional value. Like, when I want KFC, nothing else makes me feel better. I am like that with some other foods.

I am thinking about quitting processed foods, but maybe just giving up one thing at a time is better. I wanted to start with KFC because I eat it regularly.

What chemicals from KFC am I getting and what can I replace them with? is it something like dopamine or sugar?

When I go to KFC I usually get the two piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces original skin chicken, pepsi max, a bread roll, potato and gravy and chicken salt chips. I think its the chicken and chips that I crave, although I get sick of them after a modest amount. I don't like eating too much chicken, I think I mostly like the skin, not the middle.

I'm also wondering if the recipe is different for New Zealand KFC as it is internationally.

I really miss the taste of KFC, but no matter what type of chicken I get, and how little, it makes my tummy hurt.

How do you get your protein if you can't eat chicken?

No, it's not the chicken, which I eat plenty of; I think it's something in the KFC batter that makes my stomach hurt.

There are so many wonderful ways to get protein.

I'm allergic to soy, and while KFC tasters wonderful, it gives me GI distress of epic proportions. It's not that common an issue, not in America, where only about 1.5% of the adult population has it, but it's often overlooked in favor of more trendy problems. I had problems that were severe for many years and my doctors dismissed them until a friend from Britain suggested I get treated for soy allergy... and I'm so grateful to her!

I don't know that I'm outright allergic to it, but I sure can't eat it! I definitely experience epic GI distress.

It's a bummer being a vegetarian who can't tolerate soy.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Well, KFC is very tasty though I prefer Popeyes, especially at Tuesday price. These chicken recipes cannot be replicated anywhere else so I would say that the "addiction" is both psychological and physical. It's very much like Coke. You cannot get the Coke drinking feeling with any other drinks. It has to be Coke. Per tradition, habits.

The good news is I don't think this "addiction" is anywhere near cigarette or alcohol addiction. You won't find any addiction centers or technologies treating fried chicken addiction. It's mostly your (weak) willpower with this pleasure food. You can test out your addiction theory by getting full everyday with non KFC foods and see if you still have to sneak out for a bite of KFC. I highly doubt it.

• magicpickles
    You can test out your addiction theory by getting full everyday with non KFC foods and see if you still have to sneak out for a bite of KFC. I highly doubt it.

The question is, can I get full without going over my calories? (something I struggle with). What I find is if I am not watching my calories, but eat some healthy stuff before I go to KFC I am satisfied with a smaller portion.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    My tum hurts from soy, it gets cramped. I was vegetarian for years but I struggled to get enough protien.

KFC is not available where I live now, but those memories are easy to dig up. The crunch, smell and taste recall is fairly strong! Suprisingly strong!

I kicked smokes 30 some years ago, so I think anything is possible, give it your best try if you want to be free.