Should you correct those with bad form in the gym?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Prek2005
    Prek2005 Posts: 58
    Options
    I say it's all in how you approach them. If you say "do you mind if I give you some pointers to avoid an injury?" Something along that line so they can easily say "no thanks" . At least you've tried. I work out at our Company gym and its very small. The guys are good at pointing things out. I appreciate them.

That's what I would have done as well. It is not harm in helping someone :-)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So i'm going to a new gym and spotted couple of younger guys who have terrible form when using a couple of the free weights.

I minded my own business and continued with my own workout.

The question is should you correct someone when you see them using the wrong technique?

I mean I'm no expert but before I do any new exercise I always make sure i've got the correct form.

Yes you should correct them and explain why the way you say it is correct. I have a tendency to listen when I get more details on why another way to do something is better.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm a trainer, so yes I do :tongue:

As a regular gym goer, if I was actually spotting someone with TERRIBLE form that was looking potentially dangerous then yep, I'd say something for safety sake. Not if they are doing there own thing though.

You also have to remember that there are plenty of people who do things not to the book because it actually works better for them e.g. Dan Green promotes flaring elbows in bench whereas most will say to tuck them for shoulder safety. And many of the upper back rounded dead lifters.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love anyone willing to help me.

LOVE them :wink:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Feel free to correct my form ANYTIME! :drinker:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    NOPE! I let em go to Snap City. That outta teach em.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, but use the sandwich method: Compliment them on something positive they are doing, correct the problem, then compliment them again.

That way they won't just think you are being an elitist jerk.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've never had anyone tell me my form was bad at gyms in America, but here in Korea, the personal trainers walk around and correct people's form. I appreciate it because I don't want to do the exercises wrong.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    A couple of times I offered advice to teens who seemed to be lost but eager to work out, as opposed to just goofing around. Since I'm about the same age as their dads and likely older than their teachers, they didn't take it badly. I also offered advice to an older lady, but only because I overheard her asking questions to other people about the equipment.

However, I steer clear from offering any advice to anyone who clearly has that "leave me alone" look on his face. I saw this guy trying to do curls with dumbbels that were clearly too heavy for him; he rocked his entire body to swing the dumbbels, and it was ridiculously amusing. But since he seemed to be so serious about it and not about to launch the dumbbels my direction, I left him alone.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I was at the gym the other day and a guy was doing his squats in the rack. He failed, hurt his back and was stuck under the weight with the bars set at the lowest position. Had to have help to get the weights off. He hobbled out of the gym, not been back since.
    A couple of days later a girl was squatting with the bars at level one. Having just seen the injury, I told her the story and I recommended she put the safety bars up in case she had a problem. Of course she informed me that she was not lifting anywhere near her max and that she would be fine without the bars being at a safe level. So, no more helpful tips from me to anyone else!
    Mike

So you let ONE experience of trying to help someone at the gym dictate how you feel about it forever? ok.....