How many calories do you aim for a day??

Options

Replies

• stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    From what you have listed that you eat I would think that is a lot more than 800 calories. Check the labels and use scales to get an accurate measurement. Most ready packaged food is ful of cals. I usually eat between 1000 and 1200 when trying to lose weight but also have to exercise as well.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1012 right now. Sometimes I eat under, sometimes over. However, I am nearly sedentary because I don't walk a lot on my ankle (I had surgery earlier this year and didn't walk for 4-5months) and I rarely ever get out. Sometimes I have a super high calorie day, some days I might eat 1200-1300 and other days I might eat closer to 700-900calories. It varies.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I eat 300-500 below my TDEE (1700 sedentary, 2000 with exercise). I eat what I want (even chocolate, cookies, ice cream, cheesy proofs) and have lost 90lbs.
    Wow really?? I eat bout 800 sometimes less x

Why would you do that? You're starving yourself. You shouldn't eat below 1200, and even that can be too low (unless you're 5' tall).

Do you know the dangers of under eating? Here's a list:

-Dry skin
    -Hair falling out
    -brittle nails
    -malnutrition
    -mental disorders worsening
    Hormonal imbalance
    -Amenorrhea
    -Fuzzy thinking
    -Fatigue
    -insomnia
    -Anemia
    -Cachexia (the wasting of muscle)
    -Bones will break down
    -Brittle and breaking teeth
    -Sunken eyes

And eventually your organs will be affected.

Is under eating worth it?

Keishia wrote: »

I eat around 1700 calories per day. However, I do not eat more to make up the calories I burn when I exercise and that is because my trainer told me not to.

Your trainer doesn't know how MFP works, then... you're supposed to eat back around 50% of the exercise calories back. MFP uses NEAT not TDEE. If you're doing a weight lifting program, I wouldn't bother eating those calories back.
    Keishia wrote: »

I eat around 1700 calories per day. However, I do not eat more to make up the calories I burn when I exercise and that is because my trainer told me not to.

Ah right that's good hun, is it best to do cardio to get rid of fat or weights? Xx

Exercise isn't for weight loss; a calorie deficit is. If you want to do cardio on weights, you definitely need to eatmuch much more than 800 calories.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Poridge 1 cup 150calories
    Crackers 1 cup 200 calories
    Banana and Jelly 150calories
    Tea 50 calories
    "Ready" Meal 300 calories? (estimated)
    Jelly and Apple 150 calories
    Cereal bar 125calories
    1125 calories
    Is that about right?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How do you measure crackers in a cup?

It's hard to know if the above is correct or not without the actual weights. If you want to be accurate buy a food scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Uh oh...I'm out before I get myself into trouble...

3b222a551255713933e029116b04cf750d5e44f7?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic3.fjcdn.com%2Fthumbnails%2Fcomments%2F.........Well%2BI%2Bm%2Bout%2B_f25dd241d30f6f2d68b5b89cd33f078a.gif

b8yroh6398gp.gif
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have 15 pounds to go until my goal and I eat 1400 a day. Once a week I have a social meal where I eat whatever I want and I dont track on holidays or vacations. Seems to work and I lose 1 - 2 lbs a week, on average. I've lost 110 pounds this way.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I only needed to lose 25 pounds and ate 1500 calories a day. It took six months but that's okay. Maintenance has been easy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Poridge 1 cup 150calories
    Crackers 1 cup 200 calories
    Banana and Jelly 150calories
    Tea 50 calories
    "Ready" Meal 300 calories? (estimated)
    Jelly and Apple 150 calories
    Cereal bar 125calories
    1125 calories
    Is that about right?

Oops i thought you were the OP! I was on my phone when i typed my previous reply, profile pics are too small!!!
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 calories per day, sometimes 1200, I'm not active (knee problems) and I have lost 22 pounds in 3 and a half month, not much I know, but I'm used now and take a multivitamin and mineral tablet, I'm afraid I'd i eat more I won't be loosing any......my Fitbit tell me I consume 1800 calories/day......
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    OP, please calculate your TDEE! That will let you know the current number of calories that you need to maintain. Use that as your baseline and subtract 500 calories off of that to lose 1 pound a week (500 calories X 7 days = 3500 calorie deficit for the week) or eat 250 less a day to lose 0.5 pound a week.

I made the mistake of going very low calorie with 1200 calories a day for an extended time. It slowed me down, and it made me tired and hungry. --too low for my statistics. It took patience to slowly correct. Don't expect overnight results.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I follow my Fitbit maintenance calories to gradually lose weight, and occasionally I do a few days of nutrient-dense, low calorie eating to drop weight faster.

So, in a normal week, I never go below 2000kcal and am often above 2500. In a low calorie week I still eat more than you do!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    1012 right now. Sometimes I eat under, sometimes over. However, I am nearly sedentary because I don't walk a lot on my ankle (I had surgery earlier this year and didn't walk for 4-5months) and I rarely ever get out. Sometimes I have a super high calorie day, some days I might eat 1200-1300 and other days I might eat closer to 700-900calories. It varies.

The op isn't likely eating this few calories but for some reason I suspect you are...maybe it's that 1012 number because it seems really specific...please read all the posts in this thread about the dangers of undereating and get some help if you need it.
  • westln
    westln Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Add or invite me everyone. For some reason I can't add on my phone.
  • westln
    westln Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1200 calories
  • pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1500 - 1600 :) sometimes I eat under and sometimes I go a little bit over, it varies.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I think im supposed to have like 1500. But I'm more concerned with hitting my protein goals than calorie.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1400-2100 in a day depending on what activities I'm doing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I would probably start you at 1500 but at the same time, get you to use a food scale for accuracy.

The idea of weight loss isn't to starve yourself but rather find a balance of eating enough that allows you to lose, but enough to fuel workouts and body functions.

Wow that's a lot lol, will try up my calorie intake then and see how it works, do you have snacks inbetween?

From what you've said I would suggest that you aren't eating 800 so following advice to increase without following the advice to be accurate with your logging through portion size wouldn't necessarily be appropriate, or even work, in your case

Numerically and nutritionally this thread is spot on for somebody who is weighing, logging everything and taking effort and care over food entries

I maintain around 2200-2400 so to lose weight I would generally eat around 1800 overall (with MFP set to 1500)
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't log my work outs or walking. I set mine to lightly active because my day job keeps me on my feet all the time. I eat about 2000-2400.