Is there any such thing as carb sensitivity?

Options

Replies

• AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I think my meals could be a but carb heavy and my snacks sweet, maybe just need to adjust my diet but not sure how?

Angel, you would adjust macros in your meals for satiety only. Macro adjustment does not directly cause weight loss. It's the dietary plan that keeps you full enough to stay in a calorie deficit that does.

This is what I'm hoping to achieve since I've been having wobbles with blood sugar like constant hunger shakes weakness feeling sick
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If someone says you need to join a closed group to get the "right" information, I think that's an obvious tipoff that they are trying to make sure that the information provided doesn't get rebutted with other sources. It's like claiming you should get your only political information from Breitbart.

But if that seems like an open and honest way to approach it, go for it.

The claim that non keto people don't burn fat is obviously ridiculous, though, and I'd like to see one credible recent study (since supposedly recent studies support what was claimed) that shows that people on a deficit but not eating extreme low carb can't burn fat (or will end up burning less body fat, all else controlled and equal). You can become adapted to burning fat more easily and more of it at somewhat higher intensities when exercising, but that doesn't have anything to do with weight loss.

Not really. There is a wealth of information on low carb diets in the Low Carber Daily group. I suppose you could call it the "right" information is you mean it current research. Those in the group tend to reasearch LCHF a LOT more than those who are on the main boards, which makes sense it is a part of their lives. The information there is usually more accurate and in depth (the good and the bad) than what you would find elsewhere.

No conspiracy. ;)

I agree that people in higher carb diets do burn fat when eating at a deficit. There's no denying that. They may not burn as much during aerobic exercise but it isn't a large difference. http://www.vespapower.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Volek-Metabolism-FASTER-2015-Final.pdf
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Despite what you may say, I am correct. If you would only read the science. You are going on very old data. A calorie is not a calorie. I eat a lot of fat and I loose weight but most importantly it removes cravings, gives complete satiety, changes all your cardiac markers, reduces inflammation, stops Diabetes in its tracks. And way more. You have not read or seen any recent conferences have you? Go to U-tube and watch 2016 Metabolic conferences and the scientists Dr. Jeff Voleck, Dr. Agostino, Dr. Steven Phinney, and then read about 150 papers that have come out since 2003. Throw your old books away.

Why don't all vegetarians have diabetes and whatnot if what you say is true...

I'm substantially veggie and eat a lot of carbs...nothing you said is true...I lost 40 Lbs pretty easily...I don't have diabetes or blood glucose issues, etc...I didn't have to tank my diet to lose weight either as you suggest...I lost my weight about 4 years ago and did so eating around 2200-2300 calories...I eat 3,000 plus in maintenance.

Typical keto evangelism and fear mongering...

ETA: if you're going to go keto, I'd highly recommend consulting with your doctor..despite what the ketoangelicals claim, there are health risks associated with low carb and keto diets. For one, uric acid levels will rise which may or may not be an issue...it would be a huge issue for me. Keto doesn't cure everything under the sun...

The uric acid issues are disputed. Some have found they rise during the the first 6 to 12 weeks while becoming fat adapted and ketones are rising, but it falls back to, or below, normal after that. Others found there is no rise in uric acid but only a decrease. I'm assuming you have found other studies that state uric acid levels rose and stayed elevated beyond fat adaption?

High fat diets are dangerous for those who have fat malabsorption issues, though rare.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think my meals could be a but carb heavy and my snacks sweet, maybe just need to adjust my diet but not sure how?

Angel, you would adjust macros in your meals for satiety only. Macro adjustment does not directly cause weight loss. It's the dietary plan that keeps you full enough to stay in a calorie deficit that does.

This is what I'm hoping to achieve since I've been having wobbles with blood sugar like constant hunger shakes weakness feeling sick

Maybe try logging when you are feeling that way and then looking over it. Could be meal timing, although I'd probably try including protein with all snacks and meals (the muffin would have been low protein, probably). Also, like ksharma, I am find with carbs in general but do find baked goods particularly non filling (although they don't make me feel hungry). They might end up being a snack that doesn't work for you.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Look up reactive hypoglycemia. I had this for years before changing my diet. What you desribe fits it well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Despite what you may say, I am correct. If you would only read the science. You are going on very old data. A calorie is not a calorie. I eat a lot of fat and I loose weight but most importantly it removes cravings, gives complete satiety, changes all your cardiac markers, reduces inflammation, stops Diabetes in its tracks. And way more. You have not read or seen any recent conferences have you? Go to U-tube and watch 2016 Metabolic conferences and the scientists Dr. Jeff Voleck, Dr. Agostino, Dr. Steven Phinney, and then read about 150 papers that have come out since 2003. Throw your old books away.
    Really? By the bolded, I am sure you don't....

What do you think a calorie is?

A calorie is a unit of measurement. Saying a calorie isn't a calorie is just like saying an inch isn't an inch. Anyone with basic science knowledge gets that. Did your new science references tell you a unit of measure isn't a unit of measure? What is next? An inch isn't an inch?

YouTube is NOT a credible source of information. And "old books"? This speaks volumes. What if I told you there are scientists, dieticians and personal trainers on this site? You wouldn't know it as they don't broadcast that. I can at least read what they type...

DebSozo wrote: »

People are forced to go into closed groups to avoid the misunderstandings on the general forums and grief that they get from high carb enthusiasts saying that there is no such thing as carb cravings or difficulties with sugar for anyone on the planet (okay I'm exaggerating). But it isn't because of anything nefarious.
    No, it's because many choose to believe what they want to even if they have the scientific proof slap them in their faces. No one is "forced" to do anything.

And one can simply NOT increase TDEE with low carb. Total Daily Energy (there's the key word) Expenditure. You increase TDE by increasing your activity and exercise, not from what you eat. *sigh*

• lemurcat12
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Not really. There is a wealth of information on low carb diets in the Low Carber Daily group. I suppose you could call it the "right" information is you mean it current research. Those in the group tend to reasearch LCHF a LOT more than those who are on the main boards, which makes sense it is a part of their lives. The information there is usually more accurate and in depth (the good and the bad) than what you would find elsewhere.

I think this is unlikely, since it's self-selected to have a particular POV, Doesn't mean it's wrong, but I find it likely to be biased and distorted -- again, like a site of political junkies who have only one viewpoint. The information from some of the favored low carb sources is interesting and worth looking into, but the fact that there is good information to the contrary and experts who don't agree would ideally be considered and discussed and have advocates too, if the desire was really to find the truth or understand the debates and not just preach to the converted.

I expect the thread is helpful with motivation and also answering questions. (I tend to suggest that new low carbers go there, especially when they have questions about how to do it or think they should cut fat and eat only high protein or some such.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did do the slimming world diet previous to calorie counting, foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, etc were free foods as they called them and I'm wondering if it now affects me?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I think this is unlikely, since it's self-selected to have a particular POV, Doesn't mean it's wrong, but I find it likely to be biased and distorted -- again, like a site of political junkies who have only one viewpoint. The information from some of the favored low carb sources is interesting and worth looking into, but the fact that there is good information to the contrary and experts who don't agree would ideally be considered and discussed and have advocates too, if the desire was really to find the truth or understand the debates and not just preach to the converted.

I expect the thread is helpful with motivation and also answering questions. (I tend to suggest that new low carbers go there, especially when they have questions about how to do it or think they should cut fat and eat only high protein or some such.

I still disagree. Most of the information is in favour of low carb but the opposing arguments are there. In fact there is a discussion on Ornish right now, and I don't believe anyone has said his high carb low fat ideas are wrong for everyone (I could be mistaken - I haven't looked at it in a while) but rather there is an acknowledgement that his low fat diet may be right for some people. Plus an agreement that both Ornish and LCHF followers tend to skip sugar and grains so perhaps that could be the issue for those people.

But yes, The LCD group is excellent for motivation and support.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm substantially veggie and eat a lot of carbs...nothing you said is true...I lost 40 Lbs pretty easily...I don't have diabetes or blood glucose issues, etc...I didn't have to tank my diet to lose weight either as you suggest...I lost my weight about 4 years ago and did so eating around 2200-2300 calories...I eat 3,000 plus in maintenance.

ETA: if you're going to go keto, I'd highly recommend consulting with your doctor..despite what the ketoangelicals claim, there are health risks associated with low carb and keto diets. For one, uric acid levels will rise which may or may not be an issue...it would be a huge issue for me. Keto doesn't cure everything under the sun...

The uric acid issues are disputed. Some have found they rise during the the first 6 to 12 weeks while becoming fat adapted and ketones are rising, but it falls back to, or below, normal after that. Others found there is no rise in uric acid but only a decrease. I'm assuming you have found other studies that state uric acid levels rose and stayed elevated beyond fat adaption?

High fat diets are dangerous for those who have fat malabsorption issues, though rare.

I have read plenty and experienced it myself...I've had gout since I was in my mid twenties...it was diagnosed when I was doing keto to drop a few vanity pounds back then...I just woke up one night and thought I had broken my foot (I get it in my ankle)....my uric acid was through the roof as evidenced by my blood work (which was fine previously) and my first gout attack...I know you all dispute anything that might be negative to your WOE though...so no surprise there really...keto cures all! It's like you all just live in your own little echo chamber...it's like the Fox News of dieting.

Gout is one of the primarily reasons I eat substantially vegetarian...I tried early on with MFP to do the whole 1 gram per Lb of LBM of protein thing and was eating a lot of meat...gout flared right away.
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have read plenty and experienced it myself...I've had gout since I was in my mid twenties...it was diagnosed when I was doing keto to drop a few vanity pounds back then...I just woke up one night and thought I had broken my foot (I get it in my ankle)....my uric acid was through the roof as evidenced by my blood work (which was fine previously) and my first gout attack...I know you all dispute anything that might be negative to your WOE though...so no surprise there really...keto cures all!

Gout is one of the primarily reasons I eat substantially vegetarian...I tried early on with MFP to do the whole 1 gram per Lb of LBM of protein thing and was eating a lot of meat...gout flared right away.

I'm sorry you have gout. It's no fun. My husband has gout but in his knee. Want to guess how he's treating it and how he ate while losing 20lbs over the last couple of months? ;) Yeah. He went lower carb. Not keto. That's not something he wants to do, but under 150g of carbs on most days. He hasn't had a flare-up since changing his diet to a low fructose, low grain, lower carb diet.

He couldn't do mostly vegetarian since he doesn't like "rabbit food" - his term and not mine. I out eat him in vegetables everyday.

...And I "dispute anything that might be negative to your WOE though...so no surprise there really...keto cures all! It's like you all just live in your own little echo chamber...it's like the Fox News of dieting"? Really? :D
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

A calorie is a unit of measurement. Saying a calorie isn't a calorie is just like saying an inch isn't an inch. Anyone with basic science knowledge gets that.

"It's one of those things that I've heard a lot of folks say that, you know people, for some reason or scientists or maybe even the obesity community happens to think that all calories are created equal. I honestly don't know a single reputable scientist who thinks that." -Kevin Hall

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Maybe try logging when you are feeling that way and then looking over it. Could be meal timing, although I'd probably try including protein with all snacks and meals (the muffin would have been low protein, probably). Also, like ksharma, I am find with carbs in general but do find baked goods particularly non filling (although they don't make me feel hungry). They might end up being a snack that doesn't work for you.

To the bold part - I'm jealous! It stuns me that people can eat baked goods and NOT feel more hungry afterwards. I guess it sounds as odd on the other side, that it makes us feel hungrier.

This is a pattern I've observed in myself since my early teens.

My body does not react to blood sugar spikes the same as yours does, that's for sure.

For me, I need to eat the right ratios to not trigger a blood sugar spike which then makes me hungry. So if I eat carbs, I can often be ok so long as the carb is high fiber. Not always though. :( And if it's not high fiber, I *need* protein with it.

The more sugar/carbs I eat at once, the more protein/fiber/fat that I need to offset it. Consequently, I've learned to just limit the amount of sugar/carbs I eat at once bc too much at once means I need a whole lot of other foods to offset that spike. I can have a big appetite, but it's not big enough to want to eat *that* much food at once! ;)

Wow, imagining being able to freely eat carbs without them triggering an appetite increase is blowing my mind bc it's so not what my life has been. I'd be able to eat quite differently and no longer need the adaptations I've leaned.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

A calorie is a unit of measurement. Saying a calorie isn't a calorie is just like saying an inch isn't an inch. Anyone with basic science knowledge gets that.

"It's one of those things that I've heard a lot of folks say that, you know people, for some reason or scientists or maybe even the obesity community happens to think that all calories are created equal. I honestly don't know a single reputable scientist who thinks that." -Kevin Hall

If "a calorie = a calorie" means all foods are the same, and react the same way in the body (as many people seem to assume, and is normally how it's used in pieces arguing against it), then it's a strawman, and of course almost no one believes it. That's not what it means as used on MFP, though. Therefore, I'd like more context.

If "a calorie = a calorie" means (as used on MFP) that whether you gain, lose, or maintain depends on calories and if you are eating 1500 with a maintenance of 2000 you will lose, regardless of the macros,* then I'd love to hear a good reason from Hall why he wouldn't agree with that. His own studies support it (for example, even in the one finding a slight advantage for very low fat in overall fat loss, projects that after more time they'd end up basically the same).

*Eating adequate protein will, of course, result in better final body composition, especially if you have less to lose and/or are exercising vs. undereating protein, but that's why everyone, including those who say "a calorie is a calorie" mention this and recommend making sure you get enough protein. Again, no one thinks a food is a food or that some don't give your body things that others do not. Claiming otherwise is arguing against a strawman.

Mostly the "a calorie is a calorie" argument is silly, since it's about semantics, but based on Monica's other (misinformed or intentionally inaccurate) claims, I do believe that she was trying to say that any person with a maintenance of 2000 might not lose on 1500 (you need some sort of extreme deficit that leaves you starving) IF you eat a non keto diet. Pretty sure Dr. Hall would find that laughable.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I did do the slimming world diet previous to calorie counting, foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, etc were free foods as they called them and I'm wondering if it now affects me?

I tolerated carbs perfectly well until I became obese and now - for whatever reason - I don't. I think a good experiment for you (since your meals seem to be nutritious) would be to replace your carb heavy desserts & snacks with lower carb options (nuts, cheese, raw vegetables and dips etc.) and see how you make out. If you're still experiencing problems after that, that's when I'd try a low carb diet.

Unless you like the sound of eating LCHF (low carb, high fat)? If you do jump right on in and try it - it's not for everyone but for those of us who respond particularly well to the diet it's been life changing. Good luck.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    My body does not react to blood sugar spikes the same as yours does, that's for sure.

For me, I need to eat the right ratios to not trigger a blood sugar spike which then makes me hungry. So if I eat carbs, I can often be ok so long as the carb is high fiber. Not always though. :( And if it's not high fiber, I *need* protein with it.

The more sugar/carbs I eat at once, the more protein/fiber/fat that I need to offset it. Consequently, I've learned to just limit the amount of sugar/carbs I eat at once bc too much at once means I need a whole lot of other foods to offset that spike. I can have a big appetite, but it's not big enough to want to eat *that* much food at once! ;)

Wow, imagining being able to freely eat carbs without them triggering an appetite increase is blowing my mind bc it's so not what my life has been. I'd be able to eat quite differently and no longer need the adaptations I've leaned.

Let's go back to what OP said, though.

She ate a low fat, moderate to high protein and carb dinner -- fish, veg, potatoes, with little added fat -- and said she felt fine.

Then she ate a sweet muffin -- lots of carbs (some of which is sugar, the rest refined flour) and about half fat, probably -- this is less balanced by protein, but more by fat than the dinner. (The dinner might have had more fiber, too, but not all vegetables are all that high in fiber, so we don't know that.)

I think we need more information to know what's going on, and assuming it's just "carbs" doesn't seem to fit the evidence. That's why I suggested keeping track over time, as well as trying adding protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I have read plenty and experienced it myself...I've had gout since I was in my mid twenties...it was diagnosed when I was doing keto to drop a few vanity pounds back then...I just woke up one night and thought I had broken my foot (I get it in my ankle)....my uric acid was through the roof as evidenced by my blood work (which was fine previously) and my first gout attack...I know you all dispute anything that might be negative to your WOE though...so no surprise there really...keto cures all!

I'm sorry you have gout. It's no fun. My husband has gout but in his knee. Want to guess how he's treating it and how he ate while losing 20lbs over the last couple of months? ;) Yeah. He went lower carb. Not keto. That's not something he wants to do, but under 150g of carbs on most days. He hasn't had a flare-up since changing his diet to a low fructose, low grain, lower carb diet.

He couldn't do mostly vegetarian since he doesn't like "rabbit food" - his term and not mine. I out eat him in vegetables everyday.

...And I "dispute anything that might be negative to your WOE though...so no surprise there really...keto cures all! It's like you all just live in your own little echo chamber...it's like the Fox News of dieting"? Really? :D

Having your own little closed group is the epitome of an echo chamber...but I'm sure the discussions are all "fair and balanced" and provide for multiple points of view...
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 Yeah, data-collection and reflection are absolutely beneficial. It's an effective way to note patterns, locate assumptions, and test out a theory.

I found the "evidence" in her experience sufficient to suggest that an overreaction to carbs/sugar is likely at play. More data and reflection are of course good things and *necessary* before settling on an inference though, definitely.

I hope the OP experiments with food pairings so she can see if that helps her.

I'm still daydreaming about a life where I could eat carbs freely. :smiley: