Is there any such thing as carb sensitivity?

Options
I've had a few strange symptoms that are almost like a diabetic but I'm not diabetic, last night I had a nice meal of skinless fish, boiled potatoes and veg, was OK then had a choc chip muffin as a treat, after I felt very hungry yet I'd had the meal beforehand, was it the carbs or sugars in the Muffin?

Replies

• MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You didn't say what your symptoms are....but there is most definitely a thing as carb sensitivity - but honestly, if you're feeling sensitive, you're probably not even close to being diabetic (type 2). You might get a blood test. I know if I ate a muffin, I could get very sick from the sugar because I have short gut syndrome (mostly cold sweats, feeling weak - I'm usually ok if I lay down for an hour). We are also generally more carb sensitive in the morning...
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I feel a hunger that doesn't really go away, I'm sometimes hungry after eating, can feel sick with hunger at times
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Thanks it's really puzzling me too, hopefully can get some good info
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I get this too! I do intermittent fasting to help it because i just stay hungry if I eat small meals...i finish eating and then a half hour to an hour later...i need to eat again. the worst is before bed.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat and oils: butter, mayo, full fat dairy, tofu, dark meat chicken, tuna, salmon?
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    The fats I eat are very little, I use coconut oil or frylight spray and rarely have butter or margarine
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I feel a hunger that doesn't really go away, I'm sometimes hungry after eating, can feel sick with hunger at times

Oh I see. I'm sorry, I didn't recognize that was the symptom. I think it's fairly common. Happens all the time with Chinese food (heavy carbs / noodles).
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Thanks for your reply
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've had a few strange symptoms that are almost like a diabetic but I'm not diabetic, last night I had a nice meal of skinless fish, boiled potatoes and veg, was OK then had a choc chip muffin as a treat, after I felt very hungry yet I'd had the meal beforehand, was it the carbs or sugars in the Muffin?

Chart what you're eatig and when you're having cravings. You might find a connection.

Sugar and some fats trigger cravings for me, as does the lack of carbs in my diet. Many people who eat low carb diets find that carbs trigger (and fats shut down) cravings.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

It could have been any ingredient in the muffin and not necessarily the sugar/carbs (pretty much the same thing).

You'd eaten a good dinner. Maybe a whole muffin was too much for you after a good dinner. Cut it in half next time to see how you react.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It was probably just tasty and you wanted more...

Your potatoes and veg were also carbs...

And this too.
  • MonicaRAmbs
    MonicaRAmbs Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There is a biological reason that some people and I say some people because our bodies have 2 different ways of burning fuel. If you are a sugar burner (your diet is mostly carbohydrate (50% as recommended by the ADA), then you will be unable to loose fat unless you greatly reduce your total calories which will make you so hungry you will eat anything to stop that sensation. If you are a fat burner, which I am, you will eat 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. You see, I am carb sensitive. Some humans have carbohydrate intolerance and gain weight and get diabetes usually near their 40-50 age groups. Well for us its biological. If you eat carbs (they all contain sugar, but things without extreme high levels of fibre are the same as eating sugar from the bowl) your pancreas releases insulin (the fat storage hormone) and insulin attaches itself to a cell wall and that tells the cell to allow the sugar in. If your cells get bombarded with insulin frequently (the SAD diet recommends eating frequently which means insulin is always bombarding the cell wall) they can become resistant to insulins demeans and the pancreas now has to release more insulin into the blood to get that sugar into cells. If this continues, eventually the pancreas stops producing insulin. Voila you have made your self a diabetic. So for some of us, we need to keep as far away from carbs as possible. And the most fabulous part of this fantastic lifestyle is the profound satiety. And I mean profound. I had been hungry all my life. I dieted for many years, exist on the SAD diet but was oh so hungry all the time. This constant demand of the brain for sugar is exhausting and consumed most of my waking hours. Recently I learned the science that when you reduce the amount and volume of insulin entering your blood stream, then your body accesses your body fat for fuel and breaks down the fat into tryglycerides which then get converted into Ketones which is a highly prized nutrient for the brain and the rest of the body cells. Fat is one of the most important nutrients in our body. Every cell wall needs it. The brain is 50% fat. The recent science is clear, 70% of our society has become insulin resistant and are on their way to Diabetes. Now the science on Carbs. OK so you love your sugar, thats what carbs are. I get it. A muffin is more attractive than bacon. Well maybe not more attractive but the science is saying more addictive. When you eat sugar (carbs especially highly processed foods and high fructose drinks) insulin must be secreted by the pancreas, this locks down fat. Remember this "Insulin is the fat storage hormone". If your diet is very high in carbohydrates and you have eaten a meal which is high in them then insulin tries to get it into your cells but if, there is no space left in those cells because your diet is full of carbs then the sugar gets sent back to the liver which will convert it into tryglycerides and will put a droplet of that fat into your liver and then export the rest into your fat cells. Over time your liver becomes fatty. This then leads to multiple other conditions, heart disease, aches pains and Alzheimers. If you feed sugar to mice they die at an alarming rate. Sugar has no nutrients at all Grant it some carbs do have a number of nutrients but are packaged with a high amount of sugar, whereas fat and protein are essential nutrients. Look this up. Carbohydrates are not a essential nutrient for life. In order for humans to evolve, for 2.5 million years, we ate meat and fat. In other wards, the animal, from tail to nose. Until, 10 thousand years ago, grains where cultivated and we changed our diet from meat and fat to more than 50% grain based. Studies of this era of mummies, reveal startling information. They got fat, heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure, etc. You see many vessels in our bodies are being destroyed by this constant bombardment of sugar, leading to diabetes, kidney failure, blindness and the disease they are now calling Diabetes # 3 Alzheimers. Scientist think, that man has not evolved to tolerate that huge amount of sugar that is in our diets. They believe we where fat burners and when we came across a small hand full of sugar (berries) their liver evolved to use it. (The liver processes 50% of all sugars) Fat has the greatest number of calories and my brain and cells need it, so it would make sense on an evolutionary bases to eat as much as I could. Athletes know that you can only store about 1500 - 2000 calories of glycogen in their muscles, so if you where an early man you would run out of fuel about one hour into running after an antelope. Early man was a fat burner, he burned fat all day long and used the huge amount of fat on his body to run for a long time till animals got over heated and stopped running and we then killed them. Man has something that makes him able to run a long time without stopping. He sweats, and animals cannot do this. They pant and get overheated and exhausted and then stop running. Because we could sweat, and burn fat, we humans survived. I don't believe and neither do scientists, that we have evolved long enough to be healthy on sugar. Oh some of you out their can, which is only about 15-20% of our society. You can eat CARB-AGE you never get fat and you may not get sick in the long term, but many of us have and look around you folks, the obesity rate in this Country is staggering. Many are pre-diabetic and Diabetic. So I will continue on my LCHF diet now for the rest of my life for the benefits I have found. I have lost 47 pounds, reduced my blood sugars, (as a consequence reduced my cell walls from insulin exposure), took away my hunger completely (what a relief), improved my mood and gave me a clarity of thinking I have never known. Stopped my joints from aching so I no longer take pain meds. Improved all my heart markers, sleep better now than in my 20's, and of course I look good in skinny jeans. Because I am carb intolerant then I can't go back to eating muffins, pasta, mashed potatoes, beans and rice. And if only for satiety and weight loss it would be enough but the benefits go way beyond that and for me, I will be in Nutritional Ketosis for life.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Wow that is very interesting information thank you, what can I replace potatoes with in a meal?
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    How can I try the LCHF diet?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Are you sleeping at least 7-8 hrs a night? This has shown to increase hunger if you're not getting enough sleep. Also drinking water helps along with the suggestions above.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wow that is very interesting information thank you, what can I replace potatoes with in a meal?

Here is the low carb group. Instead of potatoes they eat larger portions of veggies and add more oil, avocados, cheese, sour cream.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group