Is there any such thing as carb sensitivity?

Options

Replies

• AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you will take a look
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Despite what you may say, I am correct. If you would only read the science. You are going on very old data. A calorie is not a calorie. I eat a lot of fat and I loose weight but most importantly it removes cravings, gives complete satiety, changes all your cardiac markers, reduces inflammation, stops Diabetes in its tracks. And way more. You have not read or seen any recent conferences have you? Go to U-tube and watch 2016 Metabolic conferences and the scientists Dr. Jeff Voleck, Dr. Agostino, Dr. Steven Phinney, and then read about 150 papers that have come out since 2003. Throw your old books away.

@MonicaRAmbs I hadn't seen that conference but thanls for bringing it up. It looks quite interesting!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J77Bweikiw8
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OK thanks
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If someone says you need to join a closed group to get the "right" information, I think that's an obvious tipoff that they are trying to make sure that the information provided doesn't get rebutted with other sources.

That's absurd. It's suggested to increase the signal-to-noise-ratio.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Sweet foods make me hungry too. It could be the blood sugar spike may release hunger hormones? I don't know exactly but it happens to me too.If you just wait and drink some water it helps- and of course avoid high sugar foods.

Not sure if that's what carb sensitivity is but might be.

When it used to happen to me the sugar cravings did pass in 45 minutes to an hour. I would try to stay busy until it passed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Wow that is very interesting information thank you, what can I replace potatoes with in a meal?

Many fairy tales are interesting...there's not much actual truth in that great wall of text...
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think my meals could be a but carb heavy and my snacks sweet, maybe just need to adjust my diet but not sure how?

Research it before you do. Sometimes little adjustments help. Some people are unaffected by sugar spikes and dips. But if you are then you will pretty much be aware that eating sugary products makes you want more soon after eating it.

(Edited Typo)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Wow that is very interesting information thank you, what can I replace potatoes with in a meal?

Here is the low carb group. Instead of potatoes they eat larger portions of veggies and add more oil, avocados, cheese, sour cream.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Some also eat potatoes - and everything else - within their carb allowance. 100g of potato is 18g carb and 2g fiber which can fit in all but the lowest of carb limits. Smaller amounts of higher carb vegetables, beans and starches, like potatoes, can be paired with lower carb foods. For example, I frequently eat roasted potatoes, onions and broccoli in the winter - I just make sure there's more broccoli than potatoes in the mix.

My advise (for what it's worth) before cutting out whole foods you enjoy just because "high carb" look at the macros and see if you can fit smaller, but still satisfying amounts in your diet.

I concur. I don't have trouble with all carbs. I developed issues with refined flour and sugary items at a certain point/age in my life. Once I switched to lower carb and learned how to eat low glycemic combinations I was fine.

It is a fallacy to assume everyone on low carb only eats meat and fat. I love potatoes and feel very satiated after eating them. But I leave the skin on and eat them with a protein and a vegetable to make them lower glycemic.

As a result of lowering carbs and upping healthy fats, I have been able to improve my health, vitality, and energy level. Incidentally I actually have bumped my daily maintenance calorie level UP about 300 calories without gaining weight because I feel better and have a higher TDEE than I did before.

Ya, I feel much better after reducing foods with flour, which make me sleepy. I find potatoes very satiating. I reduced carbs overall but am eating more fruit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Despite what you may say, I am correct. If you would only read the science. You are going on very old data. A calorie is not a calorie. I eat a lot of fat and I loose weight but most importantly it removes cravings, gives complete satiety, changes all your cardiac markers, reduces inflammation, stops Diabetes in its tracks. And way more. You have not read or seen any recent conferences have you? Go to U-tube and watch 2016 Metabolic conferences and the scientists Dr. Jeff Voleck, Dr. Agostino, Dr. Steven Phinney, and then read about 150 papers that have come out since 2003. Throw your old books away.

Minica,

A calorie is a calorie as to weight loss. Nutrition is a whole different subjrct.

You keep mentioning all this research but post nothing to back up your claims. Please post links to what you're talking about because otherwise it's like taking shots in the dark.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

... Typical keto evangelism and fear mongering...

...if you're going to go keto, I'd highly recommend consulting with your doctor..despite what the ketoangelicals claim, there are health risks associated with low carb and keto diets. For one, uric acid levels will rise which may or may not be an issue...it would be a huge issue for me. Keto doesn't cure everything under the sun...

I'm kind of disappointed and didn't expect the bolded kind of a response. Being overweight and not being able to lose is really rough on the self esteem.

People who finally break through, are successgul blunting and getting free from strong cravings, and who feel better on LCHF are going to shout it from the rooftops. If it doesn't apply or the person hates the diet or can't sustain, then it really isn't a big loss. I tried keto for a month and chose not to stay on it.

During the month my stomach flattened out and my health made a turn around. After the keto induction I switched to a lower carb diet, but one that is not too low for me.

And FYI @Lemur Cat... People are forced to go into closed groups to avoid the misunderstandings on the general forums and grief that they get from high carb enthusiasts saying that there is no such thing as carb cravings or difficulties with sugar for anyone on the planet (okay I'm exaggerating). But it isn't because of anything nefarious.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Here is the low carb group. Instead of potatoes they eat larger portions of veggies and add more oil, avocados, cheese, sour cream.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Some also eat potatoes - and everything else - within their carb allowance. 100g of potato is 18g carb and 2g fiber which can fit in all but the lowest of carb limits. Smaller amounts of higher carb vegetables, beans and starches, like potatoes, can be paired with lower carb foods. For example, I frequently eat roasted potatoes, onions and broccoli in the winter - I just make sure there's more broccoli than potatoes in the mix.

My advise (for what it's worth) before cutting out whole foods you enjoy just because "high carb" look at the macros and see if you can fit smaller, but still satisfying amounts in your diet.

I concur. I don't have trouble with all carbs. I developed issues with refined flour and sugary items at a certain point/age in my life. Once I switched to lower carb and learned how to eat low glycemic combinations I was fine.

It is a fallacy to assume everyone on low carb only eats meat and fat. I love potatoes and feel very satiated after eating them. But I leave the skin on and eat them with a protein and a vegetable to make them lower glycemic.

As a result of lowering carbs and upping healthy fats, I have been able to improve my health, vitality, and energy level. Incidentally I actually have bumped my daily maintenance calorie level UP about 300 calories without gaining weight because I feel better and have a higher TDEE than I did before.
    Deb, your TDEE does not automatically rise just from feeling better. The reason you were not losing weight before is because you were miscalculating and/or not moving as much. There is no magic in macro split when it comes to weight loss. Now you are able to lose weight because you're eating at a deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I think my meals could be a but carb heavy and my snacks sweet, maybe just need to adjust my diet but not sure how?

Angel, you would adjust macros in your meals for satiety only. Macro adjustment does not directly cause weight loss. It's the dietary plan that keeps you full enough to stay in a calorie deficit that does.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

... Typical keto evangelism and fear mongering...

...if you're going to go keto, I'd highly recommend consulting with your doctor..despite what the ketoangelicals claim, there are health risks associated with low carb and keto diets. For one, uric acid levels will rise which may or may not be an issue...it would be a huge issue for me. Keto doesn't cure everything under the sun...

I'm kind of disappointed and didn't expect the bolded kind of a response. Being overweight and not being able to lose is really rough on the self esteem.

People who finally break through, are successgul blunting and getting free from strong cravings, and who feel better on LCHF are going to shout it from the rooftops. If it doesn't apply or the person hates the diet or can't sustain, then it really isn't a big loss. I tried keto for a month and chose not to stay on it.

During the month my stomach flattened out and my health made a turn around. After the keto induction I switched to a lower carb diet, but one that is not too low for me.

And FYI @Lemur Cat... People are forced to go into closed groups to avoid the misunderstandings on the general forums and grief that they get from high carb enthusiasts saying that there is no such thing as carb cravings or difficulties with sugar for anyone on the planet (okay I'm exaggerating). But it isn't because of anything nefarious.

Does reading "If you are a sugar burner (your diet is mostly carbohydrate (50% as recommended by the ADA), then you will be unable to loose fat unless you greatly reduce your total calories which will make you so hungry you will eat anything to stop that sensation." exactly as is written there sound like a misunderstanding to you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If someone says you need to join a closed group to get the "right" information, I think that's an obvious tipoff that they are trying to make sure that the information provided doesn't get rebutted with other sources. It's like claiming you should get your only political information from Breitbart.

But if that seems like an open and honest way to approach it, go for it.

The claim that non keto people don't burn fat is obviously ridiculous, though, and I'd like to see one credible recent study (since supposedly recent studies support what was claimed) that shows that people on a deficit but not eating extreme low carb can't burn fat (or will end up burning less body fat, all else controlled and equal). You can become adapted to burning fat more easily and more of it at somewhat higher intensities when exercising, but that doesn't have anything to do with weight loss.

So let me first state, there are specific reasons for why it's a closed group that I will not go into. Being closed doesn't necessarily mean all information is wrong. Being with like minded people, while beneficial for motivation may not lend itself to the other side of the argument. Personally, just like avatars and time frame on a forum, I would not use that as an argument for or against a particular way of eating.

If there is going to be arguments or discussions, we should do it with actual data. There is no surprise that if we want to discuss if Keto or very low carb is more beneficial for weight loss, I would suggest the below discussion on Kevin Halls study and one from 2006 done at Arizona State, under isocaloric, euprotein conditions. I also posted Dr. Layne Norton's discussion on Keto diets. He holds a PhD in nutritional science.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436946/are-all-calories-equal-part-2-kevins-halls-new-study#latest

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXP04ipDx8

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As for Diabetes, we have a world wide epidemic and its going to bankrupt the health care system in many countries including the USA. I don't know where you live but please look up this data on the WHO website. I am a nurse and this affects 70% of the population. 40% are diabetic and 30% are pre diabetic. I wish people really would not sound off without the data. Read "The art and science of low carb living" by the scientist who have studied and published papers. Read Gary Taubes book "Why we get fat" and "Good calories bad calories", Read Nina Tiecholz book "The Big Fat Surprise", Then go to pub med and type in Dr. Jeff Voleck name and read the science. Its biology people. Plain old biology. This has been known for some time but not a lot of doctors have any nutrition education. And dieticians only go by what their license allows. Check out Jimmy Moores books Keto Clarity and Cholesterol Clarity and his podcast listing many scientist and doctors.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en/

According the the who, 8.5% of people have diabetes world wide. And I couldn't find anything on prediabetes, so if someone has a fact sheet for prediabetes from the WHO, I would be interested.

I would suggest that you expand your scope of knowledge outside of members who have only devoted their career to low carb. Gary Taubes is a joke and his theories are getting debunked often.

Lets also take into consideration that the healthiest country in the world is the Blue Zone. Where carbs sit around 70% or a bit more. Activity levels are very high and obesity is low. The consumption of animal proteins is also very low. And at best, the recent study out of Denmark (or Norway) would suggest that at best, consumption of SFA at 15% of your daily intake isn't harmful. Something, I suspect is commonly surpassed by many people following Keto. And then we can also look into all the studies plant based foods and the benefits from them. Can anyone really sit here and tell me that foods like, quinoa, legumes, sweet potatoes, rice, etc.. are bad for me? Hell, I bet I have a higher TDEE than many on this board (outside the endurance athletes). I maintain at 3000 calories. I eat 250g of carbs on average. I dropped 50 lbs and seen nothing but improvements to my health and body composition (validated by multiple blood test and metabolic panels).

What is the biggest problem? Calories, especially when you combine fats, carbs and salt. Why, because they are not filling, as the OP has experienced, and they are highly caloric. This makes it difficult to stay within a reasonable amount of calories.

Then, lets also look at protein at general, where getting 10% or 15% of your intake from protein is very low. This would make it very difficult to maintain your current lean body mass, even with progressive overload training. And this is why when I train people following LCHF/Keto members, I generally get protein up to respectable levels to address their goals. I also modify the timing of nutrients, which I implement some of the ideas from TKD/CKD to ensure protein synthesis is maximized.