Is there any such thing as carb sensitivity?

Options

Replies

• MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've had a few strange symptoms that are almost like a diabetic but I'm not diabetic, last night I had a nice meal of skinless fish, boiled potatoes and veg, was OK then had a choc chip muffin as a treat, after I felt very hungry yet I'd had the meal beforehand, was it the carbs or sugars in the Muffin?

I just want to point out this is no where near a diabetic symptom. If you were an undiagnosed diabetic and had eaten that muffin, you would be very drowsy and needing to sleep after a half hour and would be pissing like a horse.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There is a biological reason that some people and I say some people because our bodies have 2 different ways of burning fuel. If you are a sugar burner (your diet is mostly carbohydrate (50% as recommended by the ADA), then you will be unable to loose fat unless you greatly reduce your total calories which will make you so hungry you will eat anything to stop that sensation.

No, this is false. Everyone is both a fat burner and a sugar burner -- your body switches back and forth based on how intense your activity is and what fuel is available. I eat about 50% carbs, and yet my body burns fat, for example.

Also, the "SAD" doesn't recommend anything, let alone eating frequently. But people lose weight eating lots of mini meals (annoying as I would find that) just as well as eating fewer meals.

There are many traditional diets that are quite high carb (higher carb and lower fat than the SAD) where T2D is so rare as to be basically non-existent, so your claim that eating carbs causes diabetes (in addition to not being supported by the ADA) is inconsistent with the evidence. Eating a poor diet (usually high fat as well as high carb, and poor choices for both) tends to correlate with being overweight, though, and that plus risk factors can lead to T2D, but that is not relevant to the this thread that I can see.

Oh, and for those into the highly palatable foods can be addictive thing (which I'm not, so much), they will focus on foods that are combinations of fat and sugar especially, as those tend to score highest on the "addiction" tests. Also, fat excites our brains as much as sugar -- both are tasty and signs of available calories, yay!, so this makes evolutionary sense.

This current demonization of carbs, all carbs, as if eating a carrot was somehow a problem, and one could never get fat if one just stuck to bacon and cheese (and I'm pretty sure bacon isn't considered less exciting than a muffin by the average person, it's awfully popular), is tiresome. It's about as illuminating as Susan Powter screeching about fat makes you fat.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Chart what you're eatig and when you're having cravings. You might find a connection.

Note that there's a field at the bottom of each day's food diary "Today's Food Notes" where you can record information like this. For me, not enough protein and good fats = cravings.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Wow that is very interesting information thank you, what can I replace potatoes with in a meal?

Here is the low carb group. Instead of potatoes they eat larger portions of veggies and add more oil, avocados, cheese, sour cream.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Some also eat potatoes - and everything else - within their carb allowance. 100g of potato is 18g carb and 2g fiber which can fit in all but the lowest of carb limits. Smaller amounts of higher carb vegetables, beans and starches, like potatoes, can be paired with lower carb foods. For example, I frequently eat roasted potatoes, onions and broccoli in the winter - I just make sure there's more broccoli than potatoes in the mix.

My advise (for what it's worth) before cutting out whole foods you enjoy just because "high carb" look at the macros and see if you can fit smaller, but still satisfying amounts in your diet.

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but are you drinking enough water? Often, dehydration masks itself as hunger.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I feel the same way after eating something high in sugar, as a muffin is. I can completely relate to what you describe.

Your dinner combined protein, fiber, and possibly some fat with its carbs. That mitigated the carb impact on your blood sugar, so prevented a hunger increase.

I have to drink a glass of milk when eating a muffin or other pastry. The protein in the milk consistently prevents the post-sugar appetite increase.

I gain weight easily on a high carb diet and lose it easily when eating lowish carb. The bulk of that is likely due to CICO, but I suspect not all. I know many see current research as conclusive, but I think nutritional science is still understanding this topic.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Extremely well said MonicaRAmbs. I see you are well read on the subject which is all completely accurate. People will always knock what you say and plenty here are doing it. But you are inspiring.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've had a few strange symptoms that are almost like a diabetic but I'm not diabetic, last night I had a nice meal of skinless fish, boiled potatoes and veg, was OK then had a choc chip muffin as a treat, after I felt very hungry yet I'd had the meal beforehand, was it the carbs or sugars in the Muffin?

How many calories are you eating a day, and what is your height and weight?

Skinless fish and boiled veg don't have many calories.

You may just literally be hungry.

As for carb sensitivity, I think it affects some people drastically and they are forced to join closed groups on MFP and Facebook. ;)
  • MonicaRAmbs
    MonicaRAmbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Despite what you may say, I am correct. If you would only read the science. You are going on very old data. A calorie is not a calorie. I eat a lot of fat and I loose weight but most importantly it removes cravings, gives complete satiety, changes all your cardiac markers, reduces inflammation, stops Diabetes in its tracks. And way more. You have not read or seen any recent conferences have you? Go to U-tube and watch 2016 Metabolic conferences and the scientists Dr. Jeff Voleck, Dr. Agostino, Dr. Steven Phinney, and then read about 150 papers that have come out since 2003. Throw your old books away.
  • MonicaRAmbs
    MonicaRAmbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As for Diabetes, we have a world wide epidemic and its going to bankrupt the health care system in many countries including the USA. I don't know where you live but please look up this data on the WHO website. I am a nurse and this affects 70% of the population. 40% are diabetic and 30% are pre diabetic. I wish people really would not sound off without the data. Read "The art and science of low carb living" by the scientist who have studied and published papers. Read Gary Taubes book "Why we get fat" and "Good calories bad calories", Read Nina Tiecholz book "The Big Fat Surprise", Then go to pub med and type in Dr. Jeff Voleck name and read the science. Its biology people. Plain old biology. This has been known for some time but not a lot of doctors have any nutrition education. And dieticians only go by what their license allows. Check out Jimmy Moores books Keto Clarity and Cholesterol Clarity and his podcast listing many scientist and doctors.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Despite what you may say, I am correct. If you would only read the science. You are going on very old data. A calorie is not a calorie. I eat a lot of fat and I loose weight but most importantly it removes cravings, gives complete satiety, changes all your cardiac markers, reduces inflammation, stops Diabetes in its tracks. And way more. You have not read or seen any recent conferences have you? Go to U-tube and watch 2016 Metabolic conferences and the scientists Dr. Jeff Voleck, Dr. Agostino, Dr. Steven Phinney, and then read about 150 papers that have come out since 2003. Throw your old books away.

Links to those 150 papers would be great!
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

How many calories are you eating a day, and what is your height and weight?

Skinless fish and boiled veg don't have many calories.

You may just literally be hungry.

As for carb sensitivity, I think it affects some people drastically and they are forced to join closed groups on MFP and Facebook. ;)

I'm 5 ft tall and weigh 144 pounds, have lost two stones but now seem to be struggling closer to target weight, I eat about 1600 to 1700 calories
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Wow that is very interesting information thank you, what can I replace potatoes with in a meal?

Here is the low carb group. Instead of potatoes they eat larger portions of veggies and add more oil, avocados, cheese, sour cream.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Some also eat potatoes - and everything else - within their carb allowance. 100g of potato is 18g carb and 2g fiber which can fit in all but the lowest of carb limits. Smaller amounts of higher carb vegetables, beans and starches, like potatoes, can be paired with lower carb foods. For example, I frequently eat roasted potatoes, onions and broccoli in the winter - I just make sure there's more broccoli than potatoes in the mix.

My advise (for what it's worth) before cutting out whole foods you enjoy just because "high carb" look at the macros and see if you can fit smaller, but still satisfying amounts in your diet.

I concur. I don't have trouble with all carbs. I developed issues with refined flour and sugary items at a certain point/age in my life. Once I switched to lower carb and learned how to eat low glycemic combinations I was fine.

It is a fallacy to assume everyone on low carb only eats meat and fat. I love potatoes and feel very satiated after eating them. But I leave the skin on and eat them with a protein and a vegetable to make them lower glycemic.

As a result of lowering carbs and upping healthy fats, I have been able to improve my health, vitality, and energy level. Incidentally I actually have bumped my daily maintenance calorie level UP about 300 calories without gaining weight because I feel better and have a higher TDEE than I did before.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I feel the same way after eating something high in sugar, as a muffin is. I can completely relate to what you describe.

Your dinner combined protein, fiber, and possibly some fat with its carbs. That mitigated the carb impact on your blood sugar, so prevented a hunger increase.

I have to drink a glass of milk when eating a muffin or other pastry. The protein in the milk consistently prevents the post-sugar appetite increase.

I gain weight easily on a high carb diet and lose it easily when eating lowish carb. The bulk of that is likely due to CICO, but I suspect not all. I know many see current research as conclusive, but I think nutritional science is still understanding this topic.

Yes. Balancing the carbs with protein and fiber helps prevent that "fake" hunger cravings that happen to some people.

I lost weight initially on high carb but then plateaued for a long time. I tried to make it work for too long.

I'm soooo happy I found people on the MFP forums talking about macros. I researched it and played around with mine. It is wonderful that people are on here talking about their experiences and successes.

Edited typos

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Sweet foods make me hungry too. It could be the blood sugar spike may release hunger hormones? I don't know exactly but it happens to me too. If you just wait and drink some water it helps- and of course avoid high sugar foods.

Not sure if that's what carb sensitivity is but might be.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think my meals could be a but carb heavy and my snacks sweet, maybe just need to adjust my diet but not sure how?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by diabetic like symptoms, unless you mean hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia (which some with IR experience) which includes weakness, shaking, confusion and fatigue. If that is the case, ging low carb, and eating protein and fats with those carbs, will help.

Those with insulin resistance may refere to them selves are carb sensitive but it isn't a food sensitivity in the normal sense. It's more along the line of not being metabolically able to handle many carbs. Too many carbs raises blood glucose which will lead to health problems like organ damage.

You may want to join the Low Carber Daily MFP group if you think you need to reduce carbs. As someone pointed out, "As for carb sensitivity, I think it affects some people drastically and they are forced to join closed groups on MFP and Facebook. ;)" Meaning that you'll find a lot more support and knowledge there than here on the main boards where the idea that some people need to cut back on carbs for their health may not be accepted or understood. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group