Jenny McCarthy on 'The View'

Options

Replies

• NKfanKelli
    NKfanKelli Posts: 44
    Options
    Just throwing in my input, not that it really matters. All 3 of my son's are fully vaccinated. 1 has autism, epilepsy, and learning disabilities. If I were told I had to choose between my son's autism and delays or a potentially deadly disease, I would pick the autism. While I wish his struggles were fewer (especially as he reaches adulthood), I would not "cure" his autism either. He is perfect the way that he is and warms my heart daily. :smile:
    This is close-minded and downright sad to me. I find it shocking that a parent would have this attitude toward their child's disorder. It sounds like something out of the 1950s. "Oh well. It is what it is." NO. That is absolutely selfish to force your child to be complacent with a brain disorder. We live in a time where nothing is certain anymore, even taxes. The human potential has never been more immeasurable. There is no reason not to fight for your child with all the tools right at your fingertips.

Here is a story from a mother on her child's autism. Although the kid is not cured, he has made glorious improvements in his health just from a simple dietary change. This is what heros do; they don't give up: http://trueslant.com/dreenaburton/2010/02/22/autism-and-diet-ians-story/

WOW! I have started and deleted many responses to this, but I am at a lose for words....Nothing that I could say to this could come across as polite or respectful. *Turning & walking away* :mad:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only watched her on MTV's Singled Out.

I have no opinion here..

She's hot though..

^ This

Except I think I saw her on Two and a Half Men as well.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably the most obnoxious comment I've ever read on MFP. To insult a woman who has come to terms with her child's disabilities, because she has done just that, is incredibly rude and judgmental. Until you have been around children with autism and other developmental disabilities, you couldn't possibly understand the problem with acceptance that both they and their parents face.

QFT. And edited to remove his drivel when quoting. The last thing we need is for that to be spread.

tumblr_lyufmmtn711qdddnho1_500.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just throwing in my input, not that it really matters. All 3 of my son's are fully vaccinated. 1 has autism, epilepsy, and learning disabilities. If I were told I had to choose between my son's autism and delays or a potentially deadly disease, I would pick the autism. While I wish his struggles were fewer (especially as he reaches adulthood), I would not "cure" his autism either. He is perfect the way that he is and warms my heart daily. :smile:
    This is close-minded and downright sad to me. I find it shocking that a parent would have this attitude toward their child's disorder. It sounds like something out of the 1950s. "Oh well. It is what it is." NO. That is absolutely selfish to force your child to be complacent with a brain disorder. We live in a time where nothing is certain anymore, even taxes. The human potential has never been more immeasurable. There is no reason not to fight for your child with all the tools right at your fingertips.

Here is a story from a mother on her child's autism. Although the kid is not cured, he has made glorious improvements in his health just from a simple dietary change. This is what heros do; they don't give up: http://trueslant.com/dreenaburton/2010/02/22/autism-and-diet-ians-story/

I think this is probably the most obnoxious comment I've ever read on MFP. To insult a woman who has come to terms with her child's disabilities, because she has done just that, is incredibly rude and judgmental. Until you have been around children with autism and other developmental disabilities, you couldn't possibly understand the problem with acceptance that both they and their parents face.
    QFT and emphasis.

Doing the same. QFT and emphasis
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Considering the content of the majority of your posts, this disgusting post from you doesn't surprise me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ this

Also, many people with Asperger's and other high functioning autism don't want to be "cured" from it, because they see it as a part of who they are, and as alternative brain wiring rather than as a disorder. People with high functioning autism may have difficulties in some areas of life, but they often have advantages and skills in other areas of life that many researchers consider to be due to their brain wiring differences. It's very short sighted to view all these things simply as disorders. Personally, I have inattentive ADHD, dyslexia and dyscalculia, and I don't want anyone to change my brain wiring either. I may have some difficulties like being slow at reading, but I'm also extremely creative, and who really knows how much the two are linked? Neurobiologists research stuff like this but there are no hard and fast conclusions yet. So I can really sympathise with Asperger's people and other people with high functioning autism when they take this view of their own brain wiring. This website explains their position: http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/ - there are people who criticise their position for various reasons, and it's a very interesting debate to get into. But the upshot is you have to respect the views of people who consider their brain wiring to be a part of human diversity, rather than a disorder that must be cured (or eradicated, depending on your perspective on this)

Also, whether you take the view of Aspie's for Freedom or not, it's not something that can be cured with a change of diet, and it's not a new thing either. It's a neurological condition that results in people having very different brain wiring, and all that's happened in recent times is people have come to understand the condition and recognise individuals who have it. In the past they would have been seen as eccentrics, loners, maybe even village idiots (due to people''s prejudice towards anyone that's different to them; people with high functioning autism tend to be very intelligent, especially in certain fields like physics). Also, it's possible that these conditions had an evolutionary advantage at some point in prehistory (hence their prevalence without being the most common brain type), thus adding weight to the idea that conditions like high functioning autism, ADHD, dyslexic tendencies etc are the result of neurodiversity in the human population rather than disorders (although in evolutionary terms there's no clear boundary between the two, as there are many examples of genes that carry both an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time, which are selected for in certain environments and situations, but not others)
  • NKfanKelli
    NKfanKelli Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you to all for the support. :smile:
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

• dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch her on there but I know she's pretty radical. Her kid is autistic I think and attributes it to the shots they got? Not sure but I think the jist. My wife and I don't do the normal schedule of shots. Too much crap going in your baby at once isnt good. We spread them out and do just one at a time.

I believe you right. She has associated his autism to the shots. We did a delay vax for our 6 yo; oldest had all, on time (I didn't know any better).

Back to the topic...The View is my least favorite talk show, so I won't watch it that much. To be fair, I don't watch much daytime talk shows...I work during the day. When I'm on holidays/vacation etc., I don't watch too much talk TV.

I read her book about pregnancy, it was funny, crude, but funny.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they sure supported you by telling me off. Someday I'll attain that level of compassion. :laugh:

I don't care what anyone thinks (obviously), not even you. No man alive will ever tell me something is a certain way and there's nothing I can do. That's not in a human's DNA. So I will not back down from vaccines, autism, or Jenny McCarthy's chest. Each day I wake up is a day with infinite potential. Miracles are common in my world. I hope someday you put on these Ray-Bans too and see the human potential through these lens. You're the same person as me after all.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they sure supported you by telling me off. Someday I'll attain that level of compassion. :laugh:

I don't care what anyone thinks (obviously), not even you. No man alive will ever tell me something is a certain way and there's nothing I can do. That's not in a human's DNA. So I will not back down from vaccines, autism, or Jenny McCarthy's chest. Each day I wake up is a day with infinite potential. Miracles are common in my world. I hope someday you put on these Ray-Bans too and see the human potential through these lens. You're the same person as me after all.

I'm not suggesting you're high...but are you?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    For anyone curious about actual facts, Andrew Wakefieid was stripped of his medical license for the fraudulent study that linked Autism and vaccinations. It's unfortunate that people like Jenny McCarthy continue to spread the B.S. but some people are truly incapable of rational thought. Here is a recent article discussing this.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130716-autism-vaccines-mccarthy-view-medicine-science/
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

More hearts! :heart:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    She was funny on 2 and 1/2 men.. and the scary movies. Who would listen to her anyway about a medical issue.

Have you seen her film, Dirty Love? If you haven't, you should! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Love_(film)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I'm not suggesting you're high...but are you?

S.F....there's a better than average chance.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate vaccination fear mongering.

The age moat child get their vaccinations just happens to be the same age autism typically shows up. Add how similar mercury poisoning is to autism and you have full blown paranoia.

The bottom line is we really just don't know what causes it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I've been to India twice, and at least 10 other countries, including many thirld-world ones, so I have been around many people who were not/could not affird to be vaccinated. My parents focused on a healthy diet/lifestyle to keep my immune system strong.
    Immune systems become stronger due to exposure. You may be one of the fortunate that hadn't gotten fully exposed. And that's not uncommon, but understand that just because you don't get it doesn't mean you can't expose someone else who has a lesser immunity system to it. Pertussis is a good example. And if a baby or toddler contracts it, it could be fatal. Is that worth it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Pertussis infections in infants are primarily caused by contact with parents or siblings who are infected -- people who have (presumably) already had the vaccine.

Not all people who have been vaccinated are completely disease-free, and not all of those who have not been vaccinated are walking disease vectors.

Basically, you said that I have a stronger immune system and I could pass a disease to someone with a weaker one. This is true for vaccinated people as well. Vaccinations just strengthen the immune system against specific diseases. If my immune system was strenghtened naturally, what's the difference?
    My point was for the baby. You may not need it now due to building natural immunity, however a baby or toddler doesn't have that kind of resistance yet. So stating that because you have never gotten ill from doesn't devoid that fact that others won't if they decide not to vaccinate. The numbers don't lie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For anyone curious about actual facts, Andrew Wakefieid was stripped of his medical license for the fraudulent study that linked Autism and vaccinations. It's unfortunate that people like Jenny McCarthy continue to spread the B.S. but some people are truly incapable of rational thought. Here is a recent article discussing this.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130716-autism-vaccines-mccarthy-view-medicine-science/

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My point was more that I think it's dangerous to give her a soap box... I understand adjusting immunization schedules/picking certain ones you don't want administered. But her "blaming" her child's autism on vaccines is silly, and her preaching it to the world is dangerous. Next thing you know, polio and smallpox are back in style.

She isnt the only person out there advocating this, there are groups of people who truly do believe that the vaccinations cause autism. Any parent should do their research and decide for their child what they feel is best. My children are vaccinated, so I am not saying I agree with her, just saying that her personal stance on ONE issue isnt likely to be the topic of each episode they film, so who really cares about her feelings on this ONE issue???
This discussion has been closed.