Has anyone ever gotten a completely flat stomach or abs?

Options
It seems very impossible to me, I've lost about 50 pounds and I want to lose about 25 more, and honestly I'd be okay with the weight I am now if my stomach was completely flat, but it seems like I'm losing weight ever where except my stomach. I've done all types of sit up, crunches, V ups, you name it I've probably done it. Maybe once I drop the extra 25 pounds it will miraculously disappear? Has any ever managed to get a completely flat stomach or abs with out surgery or any thing, I'm really wondering if any have ladies, because I presume it's much easier for guys.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    Nope ... and I never will.

A surgery when I was in my early 20s made sure of that!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When I was at my lowest weight my stomach was pretty flat, no muscle definition though apart from the top 2.

25lbs is still a fair bit of weight, your stomach will definitely look different after you lose it!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't lose their tummy until the last few pounds.

I still have 20-30 to go and whilst there is definitely fat on my stomach it's well distributed and so looks reasonably flat, it's all just the luck of the genetics draw. Mine will be coming off my legs last!

And whilst crunches etc have some uses for strengthening the core, they won't cause a spot reduction and only focusing on the crunch aspect could actually lead to imbalances (the back must also be worked) so don't stress too much about that.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't have muscle definition but my tummy is completely flat in the morning before breakfast. It will vary then some days depending on what I eat, but mornings when I get up its flat. I weight between 120 and 125 pounds with body fat aprox 23%.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yep, but I had to get my bmi in the 21-22 range before it happened.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    We don't get to pick where we lose weight from, it's mostly genetics where it's carried. One of the general rules is "first in last out" basically whenever you store your fat in the beginning, is going to be the last place you lose it.
    Men usually have that around the belly/torso, whereas for women it's hips and legs.

25 pounds can make a LOT of difference in how you look. Keep up the good work and you'll get there eventually.
    Unfortunately there's no such thing as spot training, so all the ab work in the world isn't going to help flatten your tummy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Aisha0627 wrote: »
    It seems very impossible to me, I've lost about 50 pounds and I want to lose about 25 more, and honestly I'd be okay with the weight I am now if my stomach was completely flat, but it seems like I'm losing weight ever where except my stomach. I've done all types of sit up, crunches, V ups, you name it I've probably done it. Maybe once I drop the extra 25 pounds it will miraculously disappear? Has any ever managed to get a completely flat stomach or abs with out surgery or any thing, I'm really wondering if any have ladies, because I presume it's much easier for guys.

all the core exercises in the world wont make it flat. it can strengthen your core and make the muscles underneath stronger but it wont get rid of the fat as you cant spot reduce fat. it comes off where it wants when it wants.Ive been at it 4 years and still my stomach is not completely flat, its getting there but I still have a ways to go.I weight lift as well,genetics plays a part too,if you drop the weight you may see a big difference but that still does not guarantee a flat stomach. not everyone will have a flat stomach no matter what they do(except for surgery) sometimes its the muscles underneath or even bad posture that can make it look less flat. just make sure that if you lose the 25(should you decide to go that route) make sure you are still in a healthy weight range for your height and age.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm quite young, I'm 19, so I don't know if it's the same, but yes, I've had a completely flat stomach for most of my life. I carry most of my weight in my thighs and butt (bottom heavy) but my stomachs has always been quite flat. It was probably flattest at my LW of 115lbs (5'5) and even now at my high weight, it's quite flat but then again, I'm not super "big" or anything.

But anyway, I think it's quite easy to get a flat stomach. Ever heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen". Well, they are, so I think firstly, you need to make sure you are eating 90% of clean, nutritious food. Exercise also helps a lot. It's quite hard to spot reduce but cardio (probably HIIT), is good to burn fat in general. Lemon water (or lemon tea) is good for banishing that belly bloat. Also fruits, for fibre to get your digestive system moving, to help you pass stools & flatten your tummy. I think one of the main ones is making sure you are at a healthy weight (BMI 18.5-25) before any of this happens. If you are 200lbs, I doubt you will get a flat stomach about you slim down. It's just science.

Good luck ❤️.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Flat tummy and a 4 pack is the best i've done.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My stomach is fairly flat now. I do not do specific ab work as my strength training regime works my abs every time I do my strength training..

My genetics and my age have determined if I will ever get 6 pack abs.. I would say I am hovering between 2 pack and 4 pack..even if I were to get leaner (which I am not) body fat% wise I still will not have great defined abs.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I never had perfectly flat stomach (aka no fat whatsoever except abs) until I started adding ab exercises to my routine. At the same weight I went from having a bit of stuff I could grab to nothing.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    YES. But it's not going to happen if you still have 25 lbs to go. I had/have an apple shape and started at 152 lbs and a large roll of belly fat. Now at 115 lbs, my stomach is flat. I have the 2 lines on the sides but no ab definition. I'd have to lose even more fat to reveal proper ab definition. I don't do ab exercises or weights. I just do cardio(hiking, cycling etc).
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    YES. But it's not going to happen if you still have 25 lbs to go. I had/have an apple shape and started at 152 lbs and a large roll of belly fat. Now at 115 lbs, my stomach is flat. I have the 2 lines on the sides but no ab definition. I'd have to lose even more fat to reveal proper ab definition. I don't do ab exercises or weights. I just do cardio(hiking, cycling etc).

We sound very similar. I am also an apple shape and I started at 149. I am 115.8 as of this morning. I do have a flat stomach and I have the outline of abs though they aren't very defined. I do not do targeted ab workouts, but I do lift heavy and I am an aerialist which means my core gets a lot of work.

OP, you will have to get your body fat down pretty low (if you carry your weight in your tummy like I do). If you are carrying 25 extra pounds, you've still got a ways to go. :)
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped women often have flat stomachs even at higher weights. My friend weighs 190 pounds she's pear shaped, carries most fat in here thighs and butt.

I weigh 136 pounds and am apple shaped. I gain all of my fat in my stomach. My friends stomach is flatter than mine. I problably wont ever have a six pack because I dont plan to get down to 110-115 pounds to have it. If you care enough to have you have to work for it or pay for it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped women often have flat stomachs even at higher weights. My friend weighs 190 pounds she's pear shaped, carries most fat in here thighs and butt.

I weigh 136 pounds and am apple shaped. I gain all of my fat in my stomach. My friends stomach is flatter than mine. I problably wont ever have a six pack because I dont plan to get down to 110-115 pounds to have it. If you care enough to have you have to work for it or pay for it.

well Im pear shaped and no flat stomach here. it has went down a lot but its still not flat,I have been at it 4 years. not everyone will have a flat stomach though,. it all depends on many factors. sure you can work hard at getting one. but bad posture can make it look like you dont have one,weak stomach/core muscles,being pregnant can stretch out muscles therefore can result in no flat tummy unless you get surgery,genetics,even fibroids can make it look like you are pregnant or have a belly.

I have always has a little bit of a pooch as they call it even as a preteen/teen. I was highly active and not overweight back then.it also depends on how your body is made,same with a thigh gap(disclaimer-do not try to get one if you dont have one) some women will have one naturally and others wont no matter what they do.Im not saying not to try to get a flat stomach,Im just saying that even with years of hard work for some it may not happen.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

well Im pear shaped and no flat stomach here. it has went down a lot but its still not flat,I have been at it 4 years. not everyone will have a flat stomach though,. it all depends on many factors. sure you can work hard at getting one. but bad posture can make it look like you dont have one,weak stomach/core muscles,being pregnant can stretch out muscles therefore can result in no flat tummy unless you get surgery,genetics,even fibroids can make it look like you are pregnant or have a belly.

I have always has a little bit of a pooch as they call it even as a preteen/teen. I was highly active and not overweight back then.it also depends on how your body is made,same with a thigh gap(disclaimer-do not try to get one if you dont have one) some women will have one naturally and others wont no matter what they do.Im not saying not to try to get a flat stomach,Im just saying that even with years of hard work for some it may not happen.

Yeah I agree, thats why I said pear shape women "often" have flat stomachs. I have fibroids and have had two kids. So even with years of hard work I would have to pay for abs (lipo) to get them. I think genetics is underrated by a lot of people.