Has anyone ever gotten a completely flat stomach or abs?

Options

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I used to have a flat stomach when I weighed 140 and below. Unfortunately I also had a flat chest to match. The wonders of pear shaped genetics.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I get that you want a completely flat tummy. Most people do, myself included. But our tummies aren't made to be flat and it's a relatively recent phenomenon that we think they're supposed to be (look at vintage pin-ups from the 40s!). I've had 3 c-sections and my muscles are separated. I couldn't get the flat tummy without another surgery, which I can't afford and wouldn't want to put myself through. Now that I've lost most of my excess weight, no one assumes I'm pregnant like they used to, and I am satisfied with my shape. I think just be careful about wishing torn"completely flat"... lose those pounds and you will look and feel good (and you may already if you stop aiming for a completely flat tummy.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I get that you want a completely flat tummy. Most people do, myself included. But our tummies aren't made to be flat and it's a relatively recent phenomenon that we think they're supposed to be (look at vintage pin-ups from the 40s!). I've had 3 c-sections and my muscles are separated. I couldn't get the flat tummy without another surgery, which I can't afford and wouldn't want to put myself through. Now that I've lost most of my excess weight, no one assumes I'm pregnant like they used to, and I am satisfied with my shape. I think just be careful about wishing torn"completely flat"... lose those pounds and you will look and feel good (and you may already if you stop aiming for a completely flat tummy.

This isn't true for everyone-mine's flat (I've also had 3 kids). Everyone's body is different and the OP may be able to have a flat stomach after she loses some more weight. If it's something she wants than there's no harm in her having a goal to work towards and seeing what happens.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Are you suggesting that if the OP has low body fat, that she wouldn't have a flat stomach (not talking six pack)?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's I had an eating disorder (my BMI was slightly under 18). I had a thigh gap and hip bridge, but I still didn't have a perfectly flat stomach (had a little bump under my navel)... Genetics plays a huge role here, but you could probably sway it in your favor with enough hard work (weight loss and lifting). Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    When I was in my 20's I had an eating disorder (my BMI was slightly under 18). I had a thigh gap and hip bridge, but I still didn't have a perfectly flat stomach (had a little bump under my navel)... Genetics plays a huge role here, but you could probably sway it in your favor with enough hard work (weight loss and lifting). Good luck!

Actually that isn't all that uncommon. Many people who are underweight have very poor body composition. So they lack enough muscle mass to give them a flat stomach. We see this very often in the gaining weight section. It's why stories like the below occur. Weight doesn't mean much, body composition and body fat % means everything. Getting a flat stomach and/or abs may require a lot more effort and specific programming to achieve those goals, which may include a recomp and/or bulk/cut cycle. And possibly a lot of time (like years depending on pre existing dieting practices).

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Interesting how genetics and body shape play a role. When I accidentally lost too much weight due to stress and was at too low BMI, I had flat stomach but no thigh gap even at 16/17BMI
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    YES. But it's not going to happen if you still have 25 lbs to go. I had/have an apple shape and started at 152 lbs and a large roll of belly fat. Now at 115 lbs, my stomach is flat. I have the 2 lines on the sides but no ab definition. I'd have to lose even more fat to reveal proper ab definition. I don't do ab exercises or weights. I just do cardio(hiking, cycling etc).

We sound very similar. I am also an apple shape and I started at 149. I am 115.8 as of this morning. I do have a flat stomach and I have the outline of abs though they aren't very defined. I do not do targeted ab workouts, but I do lift heavy and I am an aerialist which means my core gets a lot of work.

OP, you will have to get your body fat down pretty low (if you carry your weight in your tummy like I do). If you are carrying 25 extra pounds, you've still got a ways to go. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are the both of you? Because right now I weigh about 150-155ish, and I wanted to get down to 120 but everyone keeps telling me I'll be too skinny so I decided to go for 130 I'm 5'7
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I wrote the post that was linked above. If you still have 25 pounds to lose there's nothing else you can really do besides lose the fat. A full body lifting program will do a lot more for your abs than a bunch of isolation exercises. I went from 265 pounds to having abs, it took a few years of work and you're simply not going to have abs until your body fat is lower.
    YES. But it's not going to happen if you still have 25 lbs to go. I had/have an apple shape and started at 152 lbs and a large roll of belly fat. Now at 115 lbs, my stomach is flat. I have the 2 lines on the sides but no ab definition. I'd have to lose even more fat to reveal proper ab definition. I don't do ab exercises or weights. I just do cardio(hiking, cycling etc).

You don't need my stats. I'm a competitive bodybuilder. Someone who hasn't been lifting for as long as me at my height and weight would still have high body fat.

Sorry I accidentally quoted you, I was trying to quote someone else and got confused
  • idipyoudipwedip
    idipyoudipwedip Posts: 22 Member
    Options

We sound very similar. I am also an apple shape and I started at 149. I am 115.8 as of this morning. I do have a flat stomach and I have the outline of abs though they aren't very defined. I do not do targeted ab workouts, but I do lift heavy and I am an aerialist which means my core gets a lot of work.

OP, you will have to get your body fat down pretty low (if you carry your weight in your tummy like I do). If you are carrying 25 extra pounds, you've still got a ways to go. :)

How tall are you? I'm just over your starting weight now and also apple-shaped and would like to know if I need to get down to 115 like you to have a flat stomach. I'm 5'4.
  • idipyoudipwedip
    idipyoudipwedip Posts: 22 Member
    Options

How tall are you? I'm just over your starting weight now and also apple-shaped and would like to know if I need to get down to 115 like you to have a flat stomach. I'm 5'4.

Just realized you already answered that question. Sorry
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Just realized you already answered that question. Sorry

No problem. :smile:

I did not have to get all the way down to 115 to get a flat stomach. I am going for six-pack abs at this point. My tummy was flat, but not defined probably around 125-130. I seem to recall feeling pretty good around 128, but I decided I want a fitness model tummy for once in my life.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    It seems very impossible to me, I've lost about 50 pounds and I want to lose about 25 more, and honestly I'd be okay with the weight I am now if my stomach was completely flat, but it seems like I'm losing weight ever where except my stomach. I've done all types of sit up, crunches, V ups, you name it I've probably done it. Maybe once I drop the extra 25 pounds it will miraculously disappear? Has any ever managed to get a completely flat stomach or abs with out surgery or any thing, I'm really wondering if any have ladies, because I presume it's much easier for guys.

Not that easy for guys! In fact guys generally keep weight around the gut whereas women usually keep it in thighs and gluten area.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ok I think I'm a bit of a freak because I have reached this and my stomach is the first place I lose weight. BUT I will never ever have defined calves, they're larger than average and even when I was super fit the muscle was never really visible, yet I had a pretty neat six pack.

I guess it really depends on person to person.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had a flat stomach in my teens and early twenties. No abs though.

eta: Actually, I had a flat stomach until I had kids.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm 5'4" and had a pretty flat stomach in the 120s. No ab work for me though.

ETA: I'm 140 again. I have a little round belly but it's not too bad.

Deadlifts? You look like heavy things have been moved by you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have to get down to too lower weight or bust my butt in the gym to get a perfectly flat tummy.. Neither of which I'm prepared to do... Besides, I'm nearly 45, things like this just aren't high on my priority list anymore. I'm just happy to be rid of the love handles and muffin top!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Actually that isn't all that uncommon. Many people who are underweight have very poor body composition. So they lack enough muscle mass to give them a flat stomach. We see this very often in the gaining weight section. It's why stories like the below occur. Weight doesn't mean much, body composition and body fat % means everything. Getting a flat stomach and/or abs may require a lot more effort and specific programming to achieve those goals, which may include a recomp and/or bulk/cut cycle. And possibly a lot of time (like years depending on pre existing dieting practices).

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I wasn't actually skinny fat--I was working out but not lifting (Jane Fonda step aerobics FTW--sometimes twice a day--along with swimming, horseback riding, and walking several miles a day)... It's just my genetics. Interestingly, my brother is a body builder and even when he hovers around 10% body fat he still has the "pooch".

I haven't weighed that little since then (and I still abhor heavy lifting) so I don't know if it would be different for my middle-aged, post-baby body...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have two children.. I got a completely flat stomach back around 7-8 months post-partum. For me I think it is a combo of being genetic since I tend to carry my weight on my hips and thighs plus strength training and a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I wasn't actually skinny fat--I was working out but not lifting (Jane Fonda step aerobics FTW--sometimes twice a day--along with swimming, horseback riding, and walking several miles a day)... It's just my genetics. Interestingly, my brother is a body builder and even when he hovers around 10% body fat he still has the "pooch".

I haven't weighed that little since then (and I still abhor heavy lifting) so I don't know if it would be different for my middle-aged, post-baby body...

Do you know what your body fat and weight were? Not saying you were skinny fat, but it's quite possible that your body fat was too high, or your lean mass was too low, to allow it.