do you eat pasta?

Options

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!

We have pasta a few nights a week. I can get my kids to eat it whenever without a single complaint so I'm all for it. Just fit it in your calorie goals.

I usually eat about a serving and a half with whatever topping I'm in the mood for. Last week I made a kick-butt garlic spaghetti.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I do most of the family cooking and they all like pasta too much for me to never make it. I try to always use whole grain and limit myself to a rather modest portion. size.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    3r6ggg.jpg
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Only spaghetti or penne. Not ziti or linguine. Those make you fat.

<3
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta when (a) i want pasta, and (b) it fits into my protein and fat targets and I have calories available for it at dinner time.
    yes.
    ETA: I also eat beef, pork, ice cream, beer, bourbon, poptarts, and cake.. too... for the same reasons.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah I eat pasta, it's delicious. Preferably with lots of olive oil, black pepper, cheese....mmmmmm

Wait what was the question?

Ah yes, 100g? Eat as much as you like if it fits in your calorie goal. Weigh it, log it, enjoy it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    is eating 100 gm of penne pasta OK??? or is it too much??
    i'm not talking about brown ones, i'm talking about the white ones

100g dry or cooked weight? Both are far too low
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat pasta.

Whether or not it's "ok" depends on your carbohydrate/caloric allowance. You can probably find more nutrient dense carbohydrates but that doesn't make pasta "bad". It's delicious.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Sure, I eat pasta.

I plan my day and if pasta can be in it then it is. It is a little bit more calories than other starches but sometimes I can fit it in and I do. Hey, come to think of it we're having spaghetti tonight.

I like the brown rice pasta best. It's got the fiber and it's gluten free so I don't have problems later over it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    love, love, love pastas.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat the **** out of pasta
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i appreciate the insults you lovely elitists. I'm only trying to help out here.

"Next up on our list of foods to avoid before bed is pasta. If you're in mass-gaining mode, consuming some carbohydrates before can help out. Put there are much better choices than insulin-spiking pasta before bed.

Those calories will be highly prone to settle around your waist. Pasta is one of the more calorie-dense carbohydrate sources around; you can easily consume 400 calories or more in a single pre-bed sitting.

Pasta does less damage earlier in the day -- for example, before or after your workout, when your body actually requires a much higher overall carbohydrate intake.

That's when your body is actually primed to use those carbohydrates to fuel your activity and replenish the high energy storage in the muscle cells. In this case, you're actually supporting your long-term goal."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-things-you-should-never-eat-drink-after-9pm.html
  • SideSteel
    Options
    i appreciate the insults you lovely elitists. I'm only trying to help out here.

"Next up on our list of foods to avoid before bed is pasta. If you're in mass-gaining mode, consuming some carbohydrates before can help out. Put there are much better choices than insulin-spiking pasta before bed.

Those calories will be highly prone to settle around your waist. Pasta is one of the more calorie-dense carbohydrate sources around; you can easily consume 400 calories or more in a single pre-bed sitting.

Pasta does less damage earlier in the day -- for example, before or after your workout, when your body actually requires a much higher overall carbohydrate intake.

That's when your body is actually primed to use those carbohydrates to fuel your activity and replenish the high energy storage in the muscle cells. In this case, you're actually supporting your long-term goal."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-things-you-should-never-eat-drink-after-9pm.html

This isn't intended as an insult to you personally, but the link is nonsense.

Fat storage acutely isn't a concern at all. Fat accumulation over time is a big concern but fortunately that's dictated by energy balance and not carbohydrate timing.

Overeat on calories and you accumulate fat. Eat fewer calories than you need and fat oxidation exceeds fat storage regardless of when you consume carbohydrates.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    Options
    Well, I'm not a nutrition scientist but I know what works for me and I'll stick with that.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Well, I'm not a nutrition scientist but I know what works for me and I'll stick with that.

And I'm not suggesting you change anything. I'm suggesting that what is working for you isn't working for the reasons you think it is, and I'm refuting the information so that other people don't believe they need to restrict the timing of specific nutrients for a perceived benefit that doesn't exist.

And this isn't personal in the least.

Good luck with your fitness goals.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I eat white pasta about once a month and whole wheat pasta once or twice a month. Pasta has never been a big favorite of mine but it makes a good, filling, easy & inexpensive dinner for two with a massive amount of sauteed veggies and a bit of homemade sauce.
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    Options

And I'm not suggesting you change anything. I'm suggesting that what is working for you isn't working for the reasons you think it is, and I'm refuting the information so that other people don't believe they need to restrict the timing of specific nutrients for a perceived benefit that doesn't exist.

And this isn't personal in the least.

Good luck with your fitness goals.

I appreciate it. Frankly, it's frustrating because it seems information is always changing as are the scientific developments. It's weeding through the conflicting reports and finding what's ultimately factual. Just like politics.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I live in the US and uh, we don't really do grams.

But I eat exactly a 1c portion when I have pasta or rice. And it's always 100% whole grain (not the brown-tinged stuff masquerading as whole grain).
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to consume 112 grams at dinner tonight. The white stuff. It's planned for.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to consume 112 grams at dinner tonight. The white stuff. It's planned for.
    linguini? fettucine? spaghetti?

Mmmmmm yes.

High-five!
    I live in the US and uh, we don't really do grams.

But I eat exactly a 1c portion when I have pasta or rice. And it's always 100% whole grain (not the brown-tinged stuff masquerading as whole grain).
    Funny, I live in the US and weigh everything in grams since it's a hell of a lot more accurate than measuring out a cup.