do you eat pasta?

Options

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I live in the US and uh, we don't really do grams.

But I eat exactly a 1c portion when I have pasta or rice. And it's always 100% whole grain (not the brown-tinged stuff masquerading as whole grain).
    "Funny, I live in the US and weigh everything in grams since it's a hell of a lot more accurate than measuring out a cup."
    [/quote]

OK, glad to see I'm not the only one that thought this comment sounded a little rude.
    I live in the US and I measure things on my food scale all the time in grams too.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

But I eat exactly a 1c portion when I have pasta or rice. And it's always 100% whole grain (not the brown-tinged stuff masquerading as whole grain).

Now that's definitely the sort of pasta one should avoid. Stuff is nasty.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Only spaghetti or penne. Not ziti or linguine. Those make you fat.

:heart:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's fine
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta when (a) i want pasta, and (b) it fits into my protein and fat targets and I have calories available for it at dinner time.

fist-bump.jpg
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pasta fight!
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Ha! I said that until I bought a food scale. Now I use grams all.the.time. Maybe THAT'S something they should teach in school. Grams and using food portions to understand it. Imagine that - math and nutrition class in one instead of something ridiculous that I'll never use again in life!

As far as the question, I don't eat a lot of pasta. Not because I 'can't' but because a reasonable amount (calorie wise) just doesn't fill me up. (same reason I don't usually eat cereal). But I did make 6 ounces (uncooked) last night, which will be 3 meals this week. 100% whole grain because I prefer it. Had baked chicken parm (skinnytaste recipe), cup of pasta and a big salad. It made for a good dinner and didn't leave me craving more.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a nutrition scientist but I know what works for me and I'll stick with that.

And I'm not suggesting you change anything. I'm suggesting that what is working for you isn't working for the reasons you think it is, and I'm refuting the information so that other people don't believe they need to restrict the timing of specific nutrients for a perceived benefit that doesn't exist.

And this isn't personal in the least.

Good luck with your fitness goals.

I appreciate it. Frankly, it's frustrating because it seems information is always changing as are the scientific developments. It's weeding through the conflicting reports and finding what's ultimately factual. Just like politics.

Yep it is very frustrating separating all the bad info out there. Like most people I spent a few months following all the old school myths out there. Luckily I found this site and people who are willing to call BS when they see it on the forums. Much happier now that I have learned much of this stuff is really simple.

On topic:
    I love pasta but find it hard to fit in on a regular basis. I really like Barilla Plus pasta for its good protein and fiber.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I live in the US also and uh, I do grams when it comes to weighing foods. Quite a few foods that I measure out are measured out in grams, including the pastas I eat.
  • ken_hogan
    Options

Ha! I said that until I bought a food scale. Now I use grams all.the.time. Maybe THAT'S something they should teach in school. Grams and using food portions to understand it. Imagine that - math and nutrition class in one instead of something ridiculous that I'll never use again in life!

Just saw your post. I use grams all the time also now I have a food scale. I agree that is something to bring up in schools.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I live in the US also and uh, I do grams when it comes to weighing foods. Quite a few foods that I measure out are measured out in grams, including the pastas I eat.

OMG! I do too and I even measure my runs in kilometers!

I'm pretty sure I'm a Chinese spy . . .
  • ken_hogan
    Options

OMG! I do too and I even measure my runs in kilometers!

I'm pretty sure I'm a Chinese spy . . .

I'm pretty sure I'm a North Korean spy but shhhhhh.. :laugh:
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Only spaghetti or penne. Not ziti or linguine. Those make you fat.

love this

Yes I eat pasta, even the evil immoral white kind! I just make sure it fits into my allowance

I even have it with cream, cheese and bacon sometimes, I just hope I dont go to hell because of my sick food choices lol
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your daily allowance, then why not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes...it is awesome the evening before a race and/or if you are otherwise carb loading...or just because it's Tuesday.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat all the pastas. Except for angel hair. Blech.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    is eating 100 gm of penne pasta OK??? or is it too much??
    i'm not talking about brown ones, i'm talking about the white ones

If that's the cooked weight, then no, not unless it puts you over on calories. If that's the uncooked weight, then that's a pretty hefty serving. But, hey, if it fits and you want it, go for it. The glycemic load on white pasta isn't much different from whole grain unless you overcook it.

ETA: And yes, I eat pasta. I usually go for Barilla Plus since it has more protein but I eat white sometimes. I don't like whole wheat pasta.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I find for the carb allotment I'd rather have quinoa, a sweet potato (or baked sweet potato fries), red skins, or mung beans.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do not eat pasta. I like-ish it, but it just isn't a very good investment of my calories. I tend to want a lot of it, but a lot of it will cost me big time. If I do have it (sometimes we gotta eat cheap and spaghetti is cheap!) I try to have a veggie with it, instead of making the pasta and bread my entire meal like I used to.

I think the moral of that story is that I don't like it all that much, or I'd make room for it like I do for chocolate!
  • mathstudent
    Options
    If i want something like pasta, but need to fit it into my calories, i usually eat a bit less pasta than normal, and a bit more veg. I tend to add vegetables to almost anything when i'm dieting, as they are so low calorie and filling.