Grease in cooked ground beef. To eat or not to eat

Options
syi510
syi510 Posts: 12 Member
This might be a stupid question but should I drink the grease left over in cooked ground beef to get the fat in?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Drink the grease? I'm guessing you are LCHF? I can't even fathom this. Surely there are better ways to meet your fat goal....
  • rigmar60
    rigmar60 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ewwwwww i mean.... ewwwww
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you want.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm LcHf but i don't eat the hamburger grease, instead and very enjoyable is to drain that off and pour on OLIVE OIL. ( also salt, pepper, Chochula & ginger/tamarind)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Just how bad sat fats are for you is somewhat contentious, but most sources still say it's a big no-no. I'm not obsessive about it, but I try to limit it. Still love my cheese though.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I eat LCHF, but I never use/consume leftover fats from cooking. I don't like it, and would rather have my daily fat intake come from some yummy olive oil or avocadoes.

I suppose, if you like it, consume it. Be sure to log your meat raw, to ensure you're counting the fat that ran off (and are consuming) in your calorie count.
  • Sherni823
    Sherni823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. Whenever I make ground beef I drain the fat. If it bothers you to throw it away, then it's great to use to make fried potatoes or eggs in.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I can't see how that would be pleasant or tasty.

I could see using a bit of the fat to make a pan sauce with a bit of flour or cream and some spices.

Drinking the fat straight up just seems unappealing.
  • syi510
    syi510 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thx for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that I am new to LCHF diet. I will definitely replace the left over grease with a spoonful of olive oil.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This is what came to mind when I read the OP:

15e372dde63b7a2457ec4b9c62fc0fb2.jpg

I can't imagine drinking it at as is. Add some flour and make gravy...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is ok to eat the grease. Low carbers are used to eating grease and fats and oils. You can eat with the meal and save some to cook with your next meal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat it with the grease, but you should be careful about diary entries. If you are trying to eat at a deficit to lose fat, then you might want to consider that there will still be plenty of fat even after draining the grease. Even those of us who eat LCHF look at this differently depending on our current goals and taste.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't. Just how bad sat fats are for you is somewhat contentious, but most sources still say it's a big no-no. I'm not obsessive about it, but I try to limit it. Still love my cheese though.

Beyond this, if I want sat fat, there are sources that taste good -- get non lean ground beef or add cheese or bacon or avocado [not sat fat, though--forgot what I was talking about halfway through the sentence, heh], delicious -- and sources that make baby kittens cry, such as the leftover grease in the pan.

Cooking with it, sure. Drinking it? I may reread this next time I want to avoid eating for a while.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine drinking ground beef grease.

I agree if you need the fat then I'd use it to cook something else...onions, potatoes, eggs
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    syi510 wrote: »
    Thx for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that I am new to LCHF diet. I will definitely replace the left over grease with a spoonful of olive oil.

Aren't there any options that don't involve drinking lipids?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Way, way, back in the way back, when I was an enthusiastic new low carber, I drank some chicken fat from a roasted chicken thinking this was a good a healthy thing to do.

I have never regretted anything I have consumed more in my life with the exception of some egg salad that gave me food poisoning.

It was awful.

I can't imagine doing it with ground beef fat.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    syi510 wrote: »

Aren't there any options that don't involve drinking lipids?

Yes, some of us just don't drain the fat. It gets added, with the beef, to other things if that is the plan (taco salad, for example). Or we just eat it along with the beef... we just have fattier bites of meat.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Let is set like a jelly and then eat it - much better way to go :)

I'd be hard pressed to think of things more disgusting than that. :s