Don't you hate it when people try to talk to you while workin out?

Options
RajputGal
RajputGal Posts: 11 Member
I like doing my thing at the gym. LEAVE ME ALONE!

Replies

• Patrickjames16
    Patrickjames16 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't usually mind if I have a partner and we are doing similar things, but not when I have to stop what I am doing to talk to them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Depends on who's talking...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ABSOFRICKENLUTELY!

Cannot stand people that want to chit chat and waste time.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym. He is nice and he talks to me but I let him know I have a schedule to keep so he knows not to talk to me too long. I usually have to cut him off really quick.

But I've seen him talking to other people and he will literally talk to them for at least 30 mins or more. I know the other people are probably pissed. He is the social butterfly of the gym.

He is at the gym for like 2 hours doing nothing but talking.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Depends on who's talking...

Boy Howdy
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I was in the middle of a set and a nice lady approaches me and starts talking.

She was attempting to ask me something about .... I don't know what.

I totally ignored her. I looked right through her like she wasn't even there.

She got the message pretty quick and sulked away.

Point is:

Don't talk to others when others are lifting.
    Wipe down benches after use.
    Don't stand between the person lifting and the mirror.
    Always rack your weights; always.
    Put your &^!%! Phone away.

Others? .......
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Usually only engage with other gym
    Goers if they approach me with a question about training, I don't mind if it's in between sets of squats or deadlifts
    I usually need a few minutes recovery anyway
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ladies attempt to talk to me all the time. Hey I saw you on the train, hey cool glasses, hey I am having my period.

I politely oblige and humour them because..... well, obviously!

Okay I understand, the 1st 2; as potentially flirting but then again I don't, unless they didn't see; your wedding ring but why inform you, of their menstruation; regardless of your marital status and/or their interest, in you?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    I have a home gym but I'd actually love to have someone, to exercise/talk with because I like to multitask! However since I don't, I just use that time to watch something instead but yeah I'd even like to watch something, with someone; while exercising!
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Ladies attempt to talk to me all the time. Hey I saw you on the train, hey cool glasses, hey I am having my period.

Okay I understand, the 1st 2; as potentially flirting but then again I don't, unless they didn't see; your wedding ring but why inform you, of their menstruation; regardless of your marital status and/or their interest, in you?

Let's not encourage him, okay?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Let's not be jealous, of him; okay?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Develop a terrifying Resting B!tch Face like mine, and you'll be gold. I can't make friends at the gym (or anywhere else) for love or money.

I'd come talk to you anyway.

"Hey! You need a spot?"
    "I noticed you were doing x exercise wrong, here's how you do it"
    "Are you using these weights?" :::points at the Dumbbells in your hand::::

*B!tch face intensifies*
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but when I did I liked talking to people. And my "gym" is the skating rink basically and I like talking to people at the rink. I guess I'm just an annoying talker
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    During a set yes! But I don't mind when I'm resting.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Let's not be jealous, of him; okay?

I'm not jealous. Why would I be jealous?

He said women approach him with their periods; women approach me with their exclamation points.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

I just posted it out of context for the shock value, Duchess! The news media does it all the time, why not me ;)

Here's an old post from the fitness board... where I documented a few of my conversations.
    I always use the stairmaster, because I am a regular.

Became friends with another regular, she was like a 50 year old mom who was very chatty and is sort of a diva. She would tell me at the passing of every woman, "honey, those tits are fake". "Oh that is real". Because up on the stairmaster, you have an aerial view of the whole gym.

This second time, a woman adjacent on the stairmaster row told me she was having her period. Right out of the blue. She then proceeded to say she apologizes if it smells bad. I kept sniffing after that and there was no odour.

Then another time, a stairmaster woman turned to fox news. Then came another woman to bike and she changed to msnbc to see keith olbermann. Stairmaster woman goes down grabs the remote and puts o reilly back on. Bike woman changes back to msnbc. Stairmaster woman shouts, "you *kitten* *kitten*" and she walks out. Bike woman then tells me, "hon I am sorry you had to witness that".

Another time, fresh during the ipad craze in 2010 april. Dude goes on the stairmaster with his ipad. Ipad falls and screen cracks and dude starts crying. He had tears and running nose like someone died. He was middle aged and you don't see this kind of kiddie behaviour with middle aged fellas.

Another time, a woman is on the stairmaster and she is wearing a very short skirt with a thong. You can see it when you climb next to her and start working out. She leans to me and asks, "excuse me, is my underwear visible, i'm sorry". I say, well I didn't quite notice. She says, "liar". I was like, "excuse me". She says, "there is no way you can miss it, be honest." I was like what the fuuudge.

Another time on the stairmaster, a guy is working out and sneezes and phlegm flies out on all the people on the spinning bikes placed right before the stairmaster row.

I believe that I've read that previously but whew, this makes me glad that I exercise; at home! My sympathies!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options

Point is:

Others? .......

...keep polite distance - don't invade my personal space

Stop innundating people with a list of rules as if you owned the place. Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%. And some people listen to music/motivational stuff or log their workouts on their phones, so, yah.

But on the topic of racking, so annoyed at having to go on a hunt for the right weight! But I get it.

• Motorsheen
    Options

Point is:

Others? .......
    Did you feel good inside?

Compared to what?