Don't you hate it when people try to talk to you while workin out?

Options

Replies

• Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Depends how much time I have.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I was in the middle of a set and a nice lady approaches me and starts talking.

She was attempting to ask me something about .... I don't know what.

I totally ignored her. I looked right through her like she wasn't even there.

She got the message pretty quick and sulked away.

Point is:

Don't talk to others when others are lifting.
    Wipe down benches after use.
    Don't stand between the person lifting and the mirror.
    Always rack your weights; always.
    Put your &^!%! Phone away.

Others? .......

...keep polite distance - don't invade my personal space

Stop innundating people with a list of rules as if you owned the place. Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%. And some people listen to music/motivational stuff or log their workouts on their phones, so, yah.

But on the topic of racking, so annoyed at having to go on a hunt for the right weight! But I get it.

How would you be able to lift it but not rack it?

If you lift and struggle for that last rep.

It's a technique used by a lot of weightlifters and bodybuilders. Arnold said it was the only way to make real progress.

I know what you mean. I lift heavy like that, too. By "struggle" they mean "struggle while still maintaining good form". You should always be able to pick up a weight high enough to re-rack it. If not, you are lifting far too heavy to have good form, in which case you could badly injure yourself.

Thanks for tip. The guys that advise me assure I'm doing it right.

I benched 160 the other day. Today, I took it easy at 130 for 3 sets of 7.

The only reason I can lift that heavy is because I lift that heavy.

If some dude wants to wait for me to recover to rack the weights he'll just put right back on the bench he's welcome to wait. But most just want to hurry up and get the bench. Me too. Please don't put away the 45s so I'll just have to put them back on. That wastes both of our time.

*****add to things that annoy me. Don't harrass me about my workout routine. *********

• williejmaddox9
    williejmaddox9 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    people just say hello to me..and i wave back but that's about it. I just hate it when they try to talk me in the bathroom..
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    people just say hello to me..and i wave back but that's about it. I just hate it when they try to talk me in the bathroom..

THAT! Especially if they are naked!
  • williejmaddox9
    williejmaddox9 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    oh yes...I never had nobody come to me while naked get
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like it when ppl try to talk to me as long as I'm not trying to keep count. It makes it more fun .
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%.

well, about this i disagree a little. if giving 100% means you can't clean up after yourself, then you shouldn't be lifting in public space. if you are, understand that there's a 1% manners tax on your workout, and 99% is all that you can afford. it doesn't seem hard to me.

i don't mind occasional conversation, depending on the people and on my mood and the topic they choose. i wasn't raised in a barn, but i am NOT there as a self-serve dispenser of 'social' time.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Usually I have my earbuds on so people leave me alone. Honestly in 3 years I've been bothered maybe twice. but gym is my ME time and I would really rather not walk into people I know... although I suppose it's true for about everywhere I go to, lol.

• sw33tp3a_1
    sw33tp3a_1 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I go to work out. I like to block everything out and just focus. I get the best workouts on those days. I smile at strangers...say hi and that's it. I go there with the purpose to kick *kitten* not to have a conversation.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't work out any more which means I can fully indulge my antisocial side as well as my love of sitting on my butt..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If I don't initiate the conversation, I'd prefer no one talked to me at all.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%.

well, about this i disagree a little. if giving 100% means you can't clean up after yourself, then you shouldn't be lifting in public space. if you are, understand that there's a 1% manners tax on your workout, and 99% is all that you can afford. it doesn't seem hard to me.

i don't mind occasional conversation, depending on the people and on my mood and the topic they choose. i wasn't raised in a barn, but i am NOT there as a self-serve dispenser of 'social' time.

I rack my shoulder press bars and my squat bars. But those 45s on the bench press stay there because I'm tired and there's usually someone waiting for the bench.

But I hear you.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Point is:

Others? .......

Stop innundating people with a list of rules as if you owned the place. Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%. And some people listen to music/motivational stuff or log their workouts on their phones, so, yah.

But on the topic of racking, so annoyed at having to go on a hunt for the right weight! But I get it.

It's a technique used by a lot of weightlifters and bodybuilders. Arnold said it was the only way to make real progress.

I know what you mean. I lift heavy like that, too. By "struggle" they mean "struggle while still maintaining good form". You should always be able to pick up a weight high enough to re-rack it. If not, you are lifting far too heavy to have good form, in which case you could badly injure yourself.

If some dude wants to wait for me to recover to rack the weights he'll just put right back on the bench he's welcome to wait. But most just want to hurry up and get the bench. Me too. Please don't put away the 45s so I'll just have to put them back on. That wastes both of our time.

*****add to things that annoy me. Don't harrass me about my workout routine. *********

There is no excuse. If you don't rerack your weights, you don't belong at a gym. It's disrespectful to every other gym goer and the staff. Obviously if someone is waiting and says not to rack them, that's different.

Then most of the people who go to my gym don't belong there. Because it's so crowded, weights are everywhere, and people just want their turn at the bench or rack.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    If I don't initiate the conversation, I'd prefer no one talked to me at all.

Probably the same way the person feels you initiate conversation with...?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I workout at 430-5 am maybe two other people so rarely an issue but it would drive me nuts to have a conversation in anything but Text format at the gym and then that person would be a positive in my life or it would be no responce
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Point is:

Others? .......

It's proper gym etiquette to re-rack weights. Most gyms I've been to, including the one I go to every day, have signs all over stating to re-rack weights. Not just weights but all equipment (mats, attachments, benches, bars) should be put back where they belong. I don't know what's so tough about that. If someone is waiting and asks you to leave the weights on, that's fine - it happens a lot. But I bench to failing all the time and I've never been incapable of putting things away. I have seen douche-bags leave 100 lb plates on the leg presses and then someone comes in who can't lift them on their best day and has to find out: 1) is anybody using the machine and 2) could someone please remove the plates for them. Because of that they were taken away and no nobody can use them.

Things that annoy me are people who believe they are above the rules. No one is too good or above the rules.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Point is:

Others? .......

There is no excuse. If you don't rerack your weights, you don't belong at a gym. It's disrespectful to every other gym goer and the staff. Obviously if someone is waiting and says not to rack them, that's different.

I agree but they (those above the rules) are everywhere. I work in my gym (I clean one night a week. Free membership and a couple extra bucks) so I take it upon myself to re-rack and straighten the place up when I'm there. It's part of my workout now. Some people have actually learned from my example and thank me for putting things back where they belong. Others do it just because they think I'm watching them. LOL!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Point is:

Others? .......

I do not buy this reason for not racking weights. If you need to, go down five pounds so you can lift the things up. If you truly couldn't rack your weights, I imagine you'd have trouble wiping your butt or holding your hands up to the steering wheel.

Like I ask the students in the weight room: "You know what's way more impressive than you slamming your weights down after each rep? Being strong enough to not slam them down and disrupt everyone's workout."

Sorry, it's a public school; if it sounds like catastrophe, we typically have to treat it as such.