Question about all calories being equal

Options
So I've read on here how when it comes to weightloss, all calories are equal. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. However, a friend of mine just told me that her nutritionist explained to her that this isn't so. She said that when you consume let's say, an apple, for 100 calories vs candy for 100 calories, the way your body is able to digest and break down each of these foods is different (using diff amounts of energy) there making the calories of these 2 foods not equal. Is there any merit to this idea?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also the difference between an apple and candy is the apple has fiber and it takes longer to break it down than the candy which most likely has little to no fiber.but 100 calories of anything is still 100 calories.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    This is not a peer reviewed article (yes it is a blog) but there are interesting points nonetheless. It includes details some have mentioned:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/10/27/is-a-calorie-really-just-a-calorie/
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    So I've read on here how when it comes to weightloss, all calories are equal. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. However, a friend of mine just told me that her nutritionist explained to her that this isn't so. She said that when you consume let's say, an apple, for 100 calories vs candy for 100 calories, the way your body is able to digest and break down each of these foods is different (using diff amounts of energy) there making the calories of these 2 foods not equal. Is there any merit to this idea?

She's wrong.

When it comes to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. If what that nutritionist said were true, there would be no fat people who ate healthy diets. Setting aside any medical conditions that need medical attention, a calorie deficit is the only requirement for weight loss.

Nutritionally, 100 calories of apple and 100 calories of candy are different.

By the way, anyone call call themselves a nutritionist, so I don't put a whole lot of stock into what they say. In fact, I've seen where many are into broscience and weight loss myths.

This makes no sense. Nothing about what she said even remotely suggests that you cannot consume an excess of healthy foods.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »

Regardless of what many on here preach, she isn't wrong. The type of calories you take in does effect the calories out. Proteins, in particular, require more calories to digest. Sugar, on the other hand, doesn't take much at all.

This is true.
    For most people though, it really doesnt matter much when it comes to weightloss, as long as they have a varied diet. Its not something I pay any attention to. Losing weight is - at least for me - not a big science project.

Eat, Move, Sleep. All I need to know.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Chadxx wrote: »

Regardless of what many on here preach, she isn't wrong. The type of calories you take in does effect the calories out. Proteins, in particular, require more calories to digest. Sugar, on the other hand, doesn't take much at all.

Read the above posts again.. for weight loss a calorie is a calorie... its about the number of calories.. These should be less than you burn (calories out).. No one can accurately calculate their own TEF (thermo effect from food) to lose weight and you don't have to.

For nutritional aspect (macro and micro nutrients) calories are different in their nutritional value..

I read it just fine. The point is that the type of calories in do affect the calories out. We can debate the merits of worrying about it but it is still true.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calories > Macroutrients > Micornutrients

For 99% of the population a calorie deficit or surplus is all that is required to lose or gain weight. How you get those macronutrients does not matter.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you say so, it must be true
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    For all intents and purposes, speaking purely in terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. There is a difference in the metabolic "cost" of processing between micronutrients (Google "TEF" or "thermic effect of feeding" if you want to geek out on the nuts and bolts of it), but for most people on diets of mixed macronutrients, it's all but completely irrelevant.

When you factor in satiety/adherence, nutrition, workout performance and overall health, micro- and macronutrients matter. We're not talking purely about calories and weight loss anymore at this point, so it's a whole different discussion.

And this.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    This is not a peer reviewed article (yes it is a blog) but there are interesting points nonetheless. It includes details some have mentioned:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/10/27/is-a-calorie-really-just-a-calorie/

A blog by a fitness trainer with no qualifications in nutrition? lol. As people have said it is a question of nutrition. Losing weight a calorie defecit is the way but to be "healthy" then nutrition is the way

Even this is kind of questionable. You can improve all metabolic markers with a poor diet if you lose weight. Obesity, inactivity and genetics play much greater rolls in health compared to the types of foods you eat. Having said that, one can potentially have more optimal health by eating whole foods (nutrient dense), adequate fiber and consuming MUFA. Even so, there are still stories of elite athletes dying at young ages and a plethora of stories of overweight, terrible eaters dying in their upper 90's or 100.

This was my own experience-I went into this process overweight and with high glucose numbers (pre-diabetes range according to my doctor). I only focused on reducing the amount of calories I ate and still ate a very typical SAD diet (fast food several times a week, lots of 'diet' foods which are super processed etc etc). The results-over 50lbs lost and every single health marker improved, including getting that glucose number down into the 80s. Now several years into maintenance and all my health markers are still good, glucose number is still under 100, blood pressure is excellent etc, and I still eat pretty similar as how I did before. People keep telling me I'm going to drop dead at any moment because of all the horrible things I eat, but so far so good :p