Question about all calories being equal

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The only significant difference between calories for the purpose of weightloss in my opinion is degrees of saiety. It varies person to person but most people find some foods more satiating than others and if you choose the foods that leave you satisfied more per calorie then you'll have an easier time losing weight.

If instead you try to eat only the foods that have the "least" number of calories due to some sort of difference in metabolism or breakdown that isn't going to help nearly as much if those foods aren't satisfying for you.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Chadxx wrote: »
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    So I've read on here how when it comes to weightloss, all calories are equal. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. However, a friend of mine just told me that her nutritionist explained to her that this isn't so. She said that when you consume let's say, an apple, for 100 calories vs candy for 100 calories, the way your body is able to digest and break down each of these foods is different (using diff amounts of energy) there making the calories of these 2 foods not equal. Is there any merit to this idea?

Regardless of what many on here preach, she isn't wrong. The type of calories you take in does effect the calories out. Proteins, in particular, require more calories to digest. Sugar, on the other hand, doesn't take much at all.
    TEF is given in digestion. And explain how calories out is affected?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Eric has already answered this nicely. Are you under the impression that the digestive process doesn't require energy? Everything our bodies do requires energy. Those calories count just the same as if you burned them running.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Eat the apple, it will fill you up more. Unless the candy is a delicious Reese's peanut butter cup, in that case, why not both?
  • 12rossja
    12rossja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A calorie is just a calorie when it comes to weightloss or weightgain, this is thermodynamics. Those of us who follow iifym, dont really care where our carbs come from, as long as at the end we have our micronutrients. I diet eating pizza 4-5 times per week. Thermodynamics.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have gained 90lbs+
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

I think he is saying if this person has been using this advice and hasn't lost weight then it probably doesn't hold water. Great job on losing 90+ pounds
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    The only significant difference between calories for the purpose of weightloss in my opinion is degrees of satiety.

And in my experience, this should NOT be underestimated. This is an incredibly important part of anyone's dieting plan, and I think it is given way too little consideration.

Figuring out what to eat so you aren't hungry, while maintaining a deficit, is so important... it prevents all those bad things from happening (overeating, binge eating, snacking on bad food choices... )
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I think that's ridiculous.

I never said that people couldn't learn. You mean that people gain fat on purpose? What I said was that at the point (many years?) when people gain 100+ lbs they obviously have no idea about CICO.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    The only significant difference between calories for the purpose of weightloss in my opinion is degrees of satiety.

And in my experience, this should NOT be underestimated. This is an incredibly important part of anyone's dieting plan, and I think it is given way too little consideration.

Figuring out what to eat so you aren't hungry, while maintaining a deficit, is so important... it prevents all those bad things from happening (overeating, binge eating, snacking on bad food choices... )

It is important. And everyone has to find out themselves what makes them satiated, despite some people asserting a certain way will always make you satiated or hungry.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I think that's ridiculous.

I never said that people couldn't learn. You mean that people gain fat on purpose? What I said was that at the point (many years?) when people gain 100+ lbs they obviously have no idea about CICO.

I mean that someone's individual progress or physique is not a reflection on their knowledge.