Question about all calories being equal

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have gained 90lbs+

That's daft.

We are talking about "knowing what you are doing" in terms of losing weight, not in terms of never gaining it. People who have never gained weight in the first place have no personal experience of losing it. If you have never had to consistently eat less than your appetite tells you to and learn all the techniques to modify that appetite in order to lose weight, you do not have the relevant experience to advise someone else who is in that situation. Never having had a problematic appetite in the first place makes you less qualified to advise, not more.

If I want advice on how to get back on a horse, I'm not going to ask someone who's never fallen off.

Personally, I would rather follow the lifestyle example of a fit person who never gained much weight in the first place rather than an "experienced" obese person.

I'd want to take lessons from someone who never "fell off the horse" so to speak. Hopefully then, I wouldn't fall off to begin with.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

That's daft.

We are talking about "knowing what you are doing" in terms of losing weight, not in terms of never gaining it. People who have never gained weight in the first place have no personal experience of losing it. If you have never had to consistently eat less than your appetite tells you to and learn all the techniques to modify that appetite in order to lose weight, you do not have the relevant experience to advise someone else who is in that situation. Never having had a problematic appetite in the first place makes you less qualified to advise, not more.

If I want advice on how to get back on a horse, I'm not going to ask someone who's never fallen off.

Personally, I would rather follow the lifestyle example of a fit person who never gained much weight in the first place rather than an "experienced" obese person.

I'd want to take lessons from someone who never "fell off the horse" so to speak. Hopefully then, I wouldn't fall off to begin with.

You two are both entitled to your preferences but when I think of good coaching I would look for people who are able to get results in their clients, people who would at least make some effort to incorporate evidence-based practices, and people who demonstrate a genuine care for the well-being of their clients.

Having experience can be relevant and there's probably some value to it but there are examples of successful coaches who aren't necessarily successful at the thing they are coaching largely because the skills sets are different.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I think that's ridiculous.

I never said that people couldn't learn. You mean that people gain fat on purpose? What I said was that at the point (many years?) when people gain 100+ lbs they obviously have no idea about CICO.

I mean that someone's individual progress or physique is not a reflection on their knowledge.

I agree with you on that point! There are many obese professors and highly praised academics in the world. However if they have good knowledge on health/fitness/human biology etc they would realise that being obese/overweight is detrimental to their health and with their knowledge would know exactly what to do.

Being obese/overweight (aside from medical conditions) is either caused by lack of knowledge or lack of willpower to change.
  • SideSteel
    edited October 2016
    Options

I never said that people couldn't learn. You mean that people gain fat on purpose? What I said was that at the point (many years?) when people gain 100+ lbs they obviously have no idea about CICO.

I mean that someone's individual progress or physique is not a reflection on their knowledge.

I agree with you on that point! There are many obese professors and highly praised academics in the world. However if they have good knowledge on health/fitness/human biology etc they would realise that being obese/overweight is detrimental to their health and with their knowledge would know exactly what to do.

Being obese/overweight (aside from medical conditions) is either caused by lack of knowledge or lack of willpower to change.

You are drastically oversimplifying obesity.

http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

To really simplify it; you have to be in a caloric surplus. You put the food in your mouth. Therefore you are the cause.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

That's daft.

You two are both entitled to your preferences but when I think of good coaching I would look for people who are able to get results in their clients, people who would at least make some effort to incorporate evidence-based practices, and people who demonstrate a genuine care for the well-being of their clients.

Having experience can be relevant and there's probably some value to it but there are examples of successful coaches who aren't necessarily successful at the thing they are coaching largely because the skills sets are different.

That is true, but if the coach is teaching weight loss techniques I would feel better if the coach is in decent shape. It is a bit hypocritical to know and have the skill set and not apply it to oneself.

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    So I've read on here how when it comes to weightloss, all calories are equal. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. However, a friend of mine just told me that her nutritionist explained to her that this isn't so. She said that when you consume let's say, an apple, for 100 calories vs candy for 100 calories, the way your body is able to digest and break down each of these foods is different (using diff amounts of energy) there making the calories of these 2 foods not equal. Is there any merit to this idea?

Your friend is exactly right. Your body uses calories in this order:
    Carbs first.
    - Simple first then Complex

Then a combination of Protien and fat (usually 50/50) depending on the type of physical activity you do.

Now mind you if your blood sugar is sufficient to meet your caloric needs at the time of the calorie consumption then the sugar gets stored as fat.

If you are doing work (any type of movement) and your blood sugar levels are not sufficent your body will pull the calories from body tissues. Protien and fat. Depending on the type of work being done it could be as much as 60/40.

Your body is an amazing balancing machine. So that is why eating 1200 calories of Jelly Bellies will cause you to feel like SH!% at the end of the day and likely muscle loss. Also the blood sugar spikes and vallies in the jelly belly scenario would leave you feeling unsatisfied and your body craving more of what it needs. SO you will inherently over eat in response to your body's natural alerts to get the nutrients that it needs.
  • DebSozo
    Options

To really simplify it; you have to be in a caloric surplus. You put the food in your mouth. Therefore you are the cause.

Just because I got overweight doesn't mean I was an ignorant idiot with no knowledge. For a long time I admitted I knew I was over-eating but had no desire to change that. Being overweight doesn't mean you don't understand CICO, it can but for many the reasons for becoming overweight are far more complex than simply not understanding the science.

This is very true. Many people give up, but it is important to stay in the game. Others don't have the desire to change. I would listen to someone who was once obese and made changes and kept the weight off. Yes, there are complex reasons for becoming overweight. For me, stress was a compounding factor.

• tmoneyag99
    Options
    Note... Listen to @SteveCloser. I have read several of his posts and they seem to hit the nail on the head.

Satiation is a HUGE component in maintaining a caloric deficit. Hunger is a natural instinct and it is the rare person that has the level of self discipline to ignore it completely. Those people usually have eating disorders.
  • meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options

And anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. It's not a title that requires any specific education, training, or certification.

Hmm. While, yes, anyone can CALL themselves one, to BE one does require many years of school and practice. Much like anyone can be a "counselor" but it takes many years and residency-like practice to be a licensed, clinical counselor.

To be a nutritionist, you must:
    • Earn a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition, food service systems management, dietetics, foods and nutrition, or a related field
    • Pass a competency exam
    • Complete a Dietetic Internship Program
    • Earn the RD or RDN credential
    • Earn a state license

http://www.schools.com/visuals/how-to-become-a-nutritionist.html

Just pulling a random Harvard employee who is a campus nutritionist, she has these ADDITIONAL qualifications to be relevant, so I imagine in such a competitive field this is run of the mill, depending on the specialty:
    • Certified/Licensed Registered Dietitian
    • NASM CPT Board Member, Massachusetts Dietetic Association
    • Member, SCAN (Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition) Dietary Practice Group
    • Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics;
    • Board Certified Sports Registered Dietitian
    https://huhs.harvard.edu/find-clinician/margaret-schrier-ms-rd

Don't be so quick to call all nutritionists quacks. They do a lot of good in educating the public about health and wellness, weight loss, and disease prevention. Theories are created and disputed at all times, the significance of calories and how our bodies really use food - macros/micros/metabolism - being one of them.

My advice is to not make it too complicated on yourself when you're first starting out, and try to eat as nutritious as possible while not restricting food groups too heavily (if at all!). Calories in vs calories out is a great start to lose weight. Then, once you've reached that point where you'd like to drill down and play with micros/macros and see how your body responds, awesome! You don't have to run out of the gate knowing how to do all these fancy bulks/cuts/body recomp/etc.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    So I've read on here how when it comes to weightloss, all calories are equal. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. However, a friend of mine just told me that her nutritionist explained to her that this isn't so. She said that when you consume let's say, an apple, for 100 calories vs candy for 100 calories, the way your body is able to digest and break down each of these foods is different (using diff amounts of energy) there making the calories of these 2 foods not equal. Is there any merit to this idea?

Carbs first.

Then a combination of Protien and fat (usually 50/50) depending on the type of physical activity you do.

Now mind you if your blood sugar is sufficient to meet your caloric needs at the time of the calorie consumption then the sugar gets stored as fat.

If you are doing work (any type of movement) and your blood sugar levels are not sufficent your body will pull the calories from body tissues. Protien and fat. Depending on the type of work being done it could be as much as 60/40.

Your body is an amazing balancing machine. So that is why eating 1200 calories of Jelly Bellies will cause you to feel like SH!% at the end of the day and likely muscle loss. Also the blood sugar spikes and vallies in the jelly belly scenario would leave you feeling unsatisfied and your body craving more of what it needs. SO you will inherently over eat in response to your body's natural alerts to get the nutrients that it needs.

Thanks for the shoutout in your other post.

Just wanted to point out that your body doesn't have a firm order in which it uses calories.
    http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Substrates.html
  • SideSteel
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Carbs first.

Additionally to what Steven said above, sugar very rarely gets stored as fat in humans.

DNL only occurs to any significant degree in very rare dietary circumstances.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/707.long?view=long&pmid=11722948

However when you consume excess carbohydrate, carb oxidation goes up and fat oxidation goes down, and so basically you store more of the fat you eat.
  • tmoneyag99
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So what gets stored as fat?

Note, I'm pretty sure every woman that followed Susan Powter in the 90s will disagree with you but I am very curious to know the science and your source.