Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does calories in vs calories out really matter?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think it comes down to CICO but there are factors that adjust CI or CO which can make it seem like it doesn't work.

I can lose 2-3lbs per week on 1500 kcal for one way of eating but gain weight at 1800kcal if I eat another way. It doesn't appear to make sense but I have found that the foods I eat affect my CI and CO quite a bit. I have insulin resistance and some autoimmune issues that may affect those values too.

different ways of eating don't change math and physics....you are either in a deficit or not ..

and yes a medical condition would affect CICO; however, one would need medication to regulate the out side, and it still boils down to CICO..

Yes. That`s what I said. Weight loss comes down to CICO but health and foods will affect that CI or CO in unexpected ways which can make it appear that CICO is not working. Like in my case.

Sadly, only in the perfect world can one take a medication and suddenly be all better. Medication is often not enough, or available, or even works, for an individual to regulate CO.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it comes down to CICO but there are factors that adjust CI or CO which can make it seem like it doesn't work.

I can lose 2-3lbs per week on 1500 kcal for one way of eating but gain weight at 1800kcal if I eat another way. It doesn't appear to make sense but I have found that the foods I eat affect my CI and CO quite a bit. I have insulin resistance and some autoimmune issues that may affect those values too.

different ways of eating don't change math and physics....you are either in a deficit or not ..

and yes a medical condition would affect CICO; however, one would need medication to regulate the out side, and it still boils down to CICO..

Yes. That`s what I said. Weight loss comes down to CICO but health and foods will affect that CI or CO in unexpected ways which can make it appear that CICO is not working. Like in my case.

Sadly, only in the perfect world can one take a medication and suddenly be all better. Medication is often not enough, or available, or even works, for an individual to regulate CO.

High carbs + IR = lower metabolic rate. There are plenty of PCOS/IR studies that are isocaloric that support such a thing. In fact, I think evgeni had a thread on the topic.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

High carbs + IR = lower metabolic rate. There are plenty of PCOS/IR studies that are isocaloric that support such a thing. In fact, I think evgeni had a thread on the topic.

Exactly. Food choices and health will affect your CICO numbers.It doesn't mean CI<CO isn't needed, it just means that CO can be affected in unexpected ways.

For me, insulin resistance makes me more likely to lose better if I cut carbs. I also have autoimmune issues that will cut my CO down when it flares up. I could be losing a couple of pounds per week but if it flares up, losses stop and I may even gain a bit, without any large changes to my diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    siraphine wrote: »
    What kind of question is this? That's like asking if it's really that important to know how to operate a car to get your drivers license. It's the ONLY thing that matters. Eat too much, you're not losing a dang thing.

There are plenty of people who do not believe in CICO, including many doctors like Dr. Fung.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What kind of question is this? That's like asking if it's really that important to know how to operate a car to get your drivers license. It's the ONLY thing that matters. Eat too much, you're not losing a dang thing.

There are plenty of people who do not believe in CICO, including many doctors like Dr. Fung.

Yep, here is his take on cico:
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/first-law-thermodynamics-irrelevant/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    it is amusing that the "CICO does not matter folks" always complain about it with respect to losing weight, but they never challenge CICO when it comes to gaining weight...

No, my experience is that macros make the difference and not calories. I can eat really high calorie of a certain set of macros and NOT gain weight. I can eat really low calorie of a different set of macros and lose much more slowly. At a point, the same CI of a set of macros causes gains while the other set of macros causes losses. So CICO when it comes to gaining weight is the same point. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear for you.

The "CICO does not matter folks" commenting are generally those who are struggling to lose weight on very low calorie diets... that is most common. But I'm sure there are a few (though not nearly as many) who struggle to gain to a healthy weight regardless of how much they eat. The reason you see fewer posts from the latter is probably because there are not as many of them.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    it is amusing that the "CICO does not matter folks" always complain about it with respect to losing weight, but they never challenge CICO when it comes to gaining weight...

No, my experience is that macros make the difference and not calories. I can eat really high calorie of a certain set of macros and NOT gain weight. I can eat really low calorie of a different set of macros and lose much more slowly. At a point, the same CI of a set of macros causes gains while the other set of macros causes losses. So CICO when it comes to gaining weight is the same point. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear for you.

The "CICO does not matter folks" commenting are generally those who are struggling to lose weight on very low calorie diets... that is most common. But I'm sure there are a few (though not nearly as many) who struggle to gain to a healthy weight regardless of how much they eat. The reason you see fewer posts from the latter is probably because there are not as many of them.

If you spent time in the gaining weight section, you would see the latter. With the exception of those with medical issues like malabsorption, many of them struggle to gain weight is because they don't eat big meals, they eat low calorie items, they are very active, etc..

The biggest issue is people are assuming TDEE is a static number. There is potential you lose more weight at a higher number, like I did, but that doesn't disprove CICO. For me, eating at a higher number also drove more dietary compliance, it gave more more energy to push harder in workouts and be more consistent and encouraged me to increase daily activity. Unfortunately, it's hard to quantify most of these items, which then makes people assume they lost more by eating more. Also, extreme calorie suppression can increase the reduction of RMR, which can decrease TDEE.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

If you spent time in the gaining weight section, you would see the latter. With the exception of those with medical issues like malabsorption, many of them struggle to gain weight is because they don't eat big meals, they eat low calorie items, they are very active, etc..

The biggest issue is people are assuming TDEE is a static number. There is potential you lose more weight at a higher number, like I did, but that doesn't disprove CICO. For me, eating at a higher number also drove more dietary compliance, it gave more more energy to push harder in workouts and be more consistent and encouraged me to increase daily activity. Unfortunately, it's hard to quantify most of these items, which then makes people assume they lost more by eating more. Also, extreme calorie suppression can increase the reduction of RMR, which can decrease TDEE.

It's probably true that I just don't see most of those posts.

What I'm reading mostly is that CICO is difficult / impossible to prove because it is difficult or impossible to measure most of what goes into CO. I can agree, but my experiences with different macros and the same calories shows that there is probably even more involved in the complication of successful CICO approaches than just CO measurement.
  • psuLemon
    Options

It's probably true that I just don't see most of those posts.

What I'm reading mostly is that CICO is difficult / impossible to prove because it is difficult or impossible to measure most of what goes into CO. I can agree, but my experiences with different macros and the same calories shows that there is probably even more involved in the complication of successful CICO approaches than just CO measurement.

The bigger issue is people's interpretation and self justification of CICO. CICO is simply discussing energy balance. What people struggle with, even here admittedly, is that there are a plethora of variables to effect energy balance. But since you weren't in a metabolic chamber, it's hard to actually know the outcome of your macro change. there is a solid chance that it effect your CO portion in some manor. But when it comes down to metabolic ward studies, the only macros that really effects energy balance (outside of a short term increase) is protein. Protein is a known thermogenic.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    bercyn1291 wrote: »
    It is agreed upon that quality of the food matters in faster weight loss but ideally calories out-calories in should determine how much weight you lose. Please share your experience.

is it?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Yep, here is his take on cico:
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/first-law-thermodynamics-irrelevant/

"I studied biochemistry in university and took a full year course on thermodynamics. At no point did we ever discuss the human body or weight gain/ loss."

:open_mouth:
    I'm guessing he did not get stellar marks in his biochem or thermo class.

I majored in biochemistry and genetics, and the biochem classes were more about differences and similarities in processes between prokaryotes/eukaryotes, plant/animal, you get the idea. Not so much that was tied particularly to humans except by default as members of the animal kingdom.

Physics classes never mentioned any applicability to the human body. I took first-year physics and physical chemistry (intersection of physics and chemistry). Presumably explicitly connecting these things to human physiology as part of the classwork is the kind of thing you'd get in medical school, not so much in undergrad where you're taught the broader principles unless you take something specifically oriented that way like human physiology or human nutrition.

That said, it's not any kind of decent reason to suggest that CICO is irrelevant :sweat: