Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does calories in vs calories out really matter?

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    bercyn1291 wrote: »
    It is agreed upon that quality of the food matters in faster weight loss

Whoever agrees about this is wrong. You should stop listening to them.

Man loses 56 pounds after eating only McDonald's for six months
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    In to hear more about that crazy expensive steak.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is agreed upon that quality of the food matters in faster weight loss but ideally calories out-calories in should determine how much weight you lose. Please share your experience.

Disagree about quality of food having anything to do with weight loss. All weight loss is about calories. Speed of weight loss is about the size of your calorie deficit.
    I have been succesful losing weight with just watching my calorie intake.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    In to hear more about that crazy expensive steak.

Sorry, I was joking, didn't really try it. I wish I could afford it. I was drooling just reading about it.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try to eat things like eggs and baked potatos with margarine and cheddar cheese and chicken Caesar salad (actually, that is what i eat every day right now) because 1. they have less calories than things considered junk food so I can eat more 2. they make me feel fuller than that 450 calorie mcdonalds quarter pounder. When I buy a 450 quarter pounder or a 500 calorie personal pan pizza, I inevitably end up being hungry again an hour later. This can lead to me falling off the wagon.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look up "calorie density" if you are looking for foods that give you a bang for your caloric buck.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It is agreed upon that quality of the food matters in faster weight loss but ideally calories out-calories in should determine how much weight you lose. Please share your experience.

"Agreed upon" by who? Because as you can see, most here don't agree with that at all. Cite your sources for this "agreement".
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    CICO is what counts for weight loss. But if you want to feel good, perform better, and have an easier time dieting, then a whole foods diet is the way to go. No sources here, only personal experience B)
  • uwannasaysomething
    uwannasaysomething Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In some cases even with a calorie deficit you can have weight gain. It has to do with insulin response. Excesses of insulin will cause weight gain even with a calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

I agree. I once splurged on this $3200 high-quality steak. After that delicious meal, I couldn't afford groceries for the next two weeks, so I lost a bunch of weight really quickly.

This is awesome!
  • francineb4
    francineb4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I read a great runners World article b a metabolic researcher who said that using the Calories in -calories out approach is likely saying that investing in the stock market is easy because you just have to buy low and sell high.

It is true in theory but metabolism is different in everyone. Figuring out the calorie out us challenging and dynamic
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    It's all right HERE.