Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Think people use 'flu' too much, over exaggerating common colds

No need for flu jabs, suck it up

Too many hypochondriacs kicking around

In recent years, an estimated 12,000-56,000 people have died each year in the US of influenza. Or do you also chalk that up to hypochondria?

The problem is no one is tracking deaths from the flu...at all. So we don't know how many people do or don't die from it much less whthervflu shots have had any impact.

The CDC does an estimate each year: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

Is your argument that since it's only an estimate nobody has actually died? Because I was responding to someone who said that people should "suck it up" and that it was an issue of hypochondria.

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

In recent years, an estimated 12,000-56,000 people have died each year in the US of influenza. Or do you also chalk that up to hypochondria?

The problem is no one is tracking deaths from the flu...at all. So we don't know how many people do or don't die from it much less whthervflu shots have had any impact.

The CDC does an estimate each year: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

Is your argument that since it's only an estimate nobody has actually died? Because I was responding to someone who said that people should "suck it up" and that it was an issue of hypochondria.

No my argument is because no one is tracking flu cases or deaths, we have no idea whether the flu shot is effective or not. I am aware the CDC estimates deaths but the estimating process they use is pretty rubbish. It's the same here in the UK.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No my argument is because no one is tracking flu cases or deaths, we have no idea whether the flu shot is effective or not. I am aware the CDC estimates deaths but the estimating process they use is pretty rubbish. It's the same here in the UK.

But I was responding to someone who said people should just "suck it up" and that is was an issue of hypochondria. That is what I was responding to -- not making a case that the flu vaccine is effective (I think the case can be made, it just wasn't what I was saying in that post).

Do you agree with that statement about "sucking it up"? If not, I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss. Presumably we can agree that even if the CDC estimate is inaccurate, people still die due to the flu and "sucking it up" isn't an option for everyone.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm not sure either now. Because I do agree that the suck it up, hypochondriac thing is incorrect.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    When you get the flu, there is no denying it or sucking it up.

Does the actual flu put one in bed or can you still muddle through working each day?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Does the actual flu put one in bed or can you still muddle through working each day?

There is no muddling through the work day with the flu, the flu hits you fast and hard! It's like getting hit by a Mack truck. The last time I had the flu, my doc asked me why didn't I come in earlier to see her but I was so completely out of it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife get a flu shot every year for the 25% of it that's worth having.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, I get the flu shot every year now! The flu sucks!
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a chronic asthmatic with pre-emphysemic lung tissue and 60% lung capacity. I also have three chikdren in school/uni and as a massage therapist I spend an hour at a time in a small closed room with each client, touching their hands and faces etc, so I am at a high risk of exposure to whatever bug is going around. Given that influenza would likely kill me, I am very "pro" flu shots for myself. (And I'm also rather picky about disinfecting my studio door handles, and thorough handwashing)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

There is no muddling through the work day with the flu, the flu hits you fast and hard! It's like getting hit by a Mack truck. The last time I had the flu, my doc asked me why didn't I come in earlier to see her but I was so completely out of it.

Thanks. I guess I have not had the flu. Maybe 20 years of high dosage fish oil protected me.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I suspect anyone who thinks people with flu are hypochondriacs who should suck it up,has probably never had real flu.
    I agree that there are some who have maybe a fluey cold who claim to have flu. Real flu,however,is pretty nasty even for healthy people.

That's exactly what he said - that he's never had flu (despite not having shots either).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Last time I had the flu I couldn't walk from my bed to the bathroom, I had to crawl. I had such a high fever that I was hallucinating, and pretty much lost about 36 hours.
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Last time I had the flu I couldn't walk from my bed to the bathroom, I had to crawl. I had such a high fever that I was hallucinating, and pretty much lost about 36 hours.

Same here. Had a toddler at the time and hubby and I both came down with 'flu while driving back froma trip out of town. We got home, put ourselves to bed with high fever, chills, excrutiatingly sore skin, severe joint pain for 24 hours, along with the more standard sore throat, runny nose etc. I have no idea how we managed, but our toddler didnt get sick, and to this day I have no idea how we managed to keep her fed and toileted, but I can tell you she got a hell of a lot of tv time that day (in the days before smartphones and ipads LOL)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I suspect anyone who thinks people with flu are hypochondriacs who should suck it up,has probably never had real flu.
    I agree that there are some who have maybe a fluey cold who claim to have flu. Real flu,however,is pretty nasty even for healthy people.

That's exactly what he said - that he's never had flu (despite not having shots either).

Then don't judge those who have had it as being hypochondriacs. I'd never presume to know how it feels to have a disease I've not had.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thanks. I guess I have not had the flu. Maybe 20 years of high dosage fish oil protected me.

Why would you think that high doses of fish oil would prevent the flu?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Why would you think that high doses of fish oil would prevent the flu?

Perhaps the vitamin D absorption benefit from fish oil is what causes this... considering it in combination with the benefits of vitamin D related to influenza.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've never had the flu either, and I've never regularly taken fish oil.

It's possible to just be lucky, you know!
This discussion has been closed.